Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #1

Ladder Bike Rack Carrier - Caution

Beware of danger of installing bike carrier to ladder on Surveyor

We installed bike carrier on factory installed ladder on Surveyor and ladder starting coming loose from camper. We removed bike carrier and tighten screws holding ladder to camper. Good thing we tried on short trip; ladder may have come loose from camper on long trip.
Buckskin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin15 View Post

We installed bike carrier on factory installed ladder on Surveyor and ladder starting coming loose from camper. We removed bike carrier and tighten screws holding ladder to camper. Good thing we tried on short trip; ladder may have come loose from camper on long trip.
You may want to reseal the ladder mounts. Since the bikes pulled the ladder away from the wall, it broke the seal and water can possibly get inside. Ladders and bumpers are a poor choice (these days) for bikes.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
You may want to reseal the ladder mounts. Since the bikes pulled the ladder away from the wall, it broke the seal and water can possibly get inside. Ladders and bumpers are a poor choice (these days) for bikes.
Makes ya wonder why FR promotes the ladder bike rack. Nether the bumper or ladder is a good choice. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #4

I don't disagree that ladders may not be the best choice for a bike rack. However, it seem odd that the ladder won't hold 150 lbs. of bikes and a rack.

What's going to happen when a 200 lb. person climbs up the ladder?

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
I don't disagree that ladders may not be the best choice for a bike rack. However, it seem odd that the ladder won't hold 150 lbs. of bikes and a rack.

What's going to happen when a 200 lb. person climbs up the ladder?
When this 200 lb. ol' boy climbs the ladder, I don't jump up and down on that puppy for hours on end.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
When this 200 lb. ol' boy climbs the ladder, I don't jump up and down on that puppy for hours on end.
yeah....true enough!

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Makes ya wonder why FR promotes the ladder bike rack. Nether the bumper or ladder is a good choice. Later RJD
I was/am unaware that they ever promoted a ladder bike rack.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

After hearing and reading all the horror stories I whipped this baby up one day, and stained it the next. Used all summer with no issues. Not that pretty but bikes are solid, and used for several 2 hr each way trips. I built it high enough to still load my Smart Tote, BBQ, and firewood in the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	90986   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	90987  
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I was/am unaware that they ever promoted a ladder bike rack.
x2.

What people don't understand is the physics that occur on the road, with bikes on a ladder or bumper.
Try hanging on the ladder and bouncing on it for 6 hours, for a few days and see how well the ladder holds up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscreekw View Post
After hearing and reading all the horror stories I whipped this baby up one day, and stained it the next. Used all summer with no issues. Not that pretty but bikes are solid, and used for several 2 hr each way trips. I built it high enough to still load my Smart Tote, BBQ, and firewood in the box.
Ok, now that's cool! Great idea!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Although there are certain Forest River Products that are now offering Bike Racks for the Ladders, but they are reinforcing behind the Ladder for the extra support.. Past ladders are not developed that way. Bumpers are most definitely not intended for bike carriers. The company that produces the bumper states that it is for the sewer hose, and maybe a tire carrier, and sometimes they frown on that. If you have ever followed an RV With Bikes on the back it looks a "Rock'n Good Time" at the ole dance hall... They are all over the place up/down sideways, etc. We have found that receiver style hitch on the back that is welded side to side on the frame is the best for support, but if you read the manufacturers warranty on the frame, this is an altercation and will or can void the warranty on the frame if there was an issue... Bike should probably go inside the unit, or in the tow vehicle or there are some applications that use the front A-frame of a Travel Trailer or the Fifth Wheel Extension. Just my 2 cents...
2-B-REIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

I carried two bikes on a Surveyor ladder across the country for 3 weeks and did not have any problems. Maybe I was lucky.
frisbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #13

Very timely topic for me. I just bought a brand new bike a couple of days ago while traveling. It was hung on my Ladder rack. I stopped in for minor MBS service apptmt. @ the dealership. They backed up my bike into another Sprinter and bent my handle bars. I hadn't even ridden it yet. What a way to literally "break it in!" They said they would take care of it, but bike shop is a couple hundred mi. in the wrong direction. This is what I get for letting someone else drive my vehicle.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin15 View Post

Hey Buckskin; I see you're relatively new to the forum and welcome! This issue has been discussed many times and the general consensus is not to hang bikes from either ladders or bumpers. Too bad you weren't here sooner and you could have been more informed before purchasing your carrier. Just wanted to point out that this is not a Surveyor unique issue but is the same across all RV manufacturers. Before I bought my Surveyor 5th wheel I built a bike carrier for the back of my PU while towing a tow behind. Pictures are attached. Hope you stay tuned on the forum where you can learn a lot of informative information and a lot of useless info too. All fun!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	91003  

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

Remember its not what the ladder is holding... it how the ladder is holding.
Flag poles are another thing that destroy the ladders.
have seen lots of them withthe tubing cracked and then once the owner attempts to climb up. well it could be a not so pretty site.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

If you like cheap and simple, get a couple of these...

and mount your bikes to a platform that slides into the truck bed. There's enough clearance to fit inside a bed cap.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #17

Over the past two years we have travelled at least 6 thousand miles with our Rockwood 5th wheel trailer and my mountain bike hanging on a ladder rack. This includes any number of rough stretches of highway that had me grimacing as I envisioned us back in Walmart replacing broken dishes etc. I was also keenly aware of the bike back there and potential stress on the ladder as we bounced along. One stretch of highway in particularly was I-40 from Flagstaff to Kingman Arizona. It was brutal. However, I have to say, at least to this point there is absolutely no evidence of a problem - But now you have me thinking!!! We will be 'snowbirding' south in another month. I believe it might be prudent to figure out another method of transporting the bike rather than wait until a problem does develop. Thanks for the 'heads up'.
Chuck
8288WS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscreekw View Post
That is pretty much one of the two options I have came up with. My primary option is to mount bike attachments to the bed cover. The DW hates that idea. I see it as our best option.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I carry my bikes something similar to Devilscreekw:

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	91008

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote