Old 02-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Looking at a SL 240BHLE

I looked through the forum archives here and there aren't many posts about this model. Many that are discuss the unfortunate design of the murphy bed and how it drops into the pass thru storage area. FR fixed that issue in the 2020 models (late.)

Anyone else with this model care to weigh in with their thoughts on it? It's in a nice price point - a little nicer than, say, a Coachmen Apex but not as expensive as many others in the segment.

It also does not have an entertainment wall between the bedroom and the kitchen/living space. that is a huge bonus and allows for more seating. I'm surprised more trailers aren't built with that feature. probably because people are less apt to appreciate the murphy bed?

Anyway, looking at one this weekend at a local dealer. We're also looking hard at the Apex Nano 208BHS, Outfitter Edition. It's almost as much money.

We have two young kids so this is probably a 10 year camper for us.

rennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
.....Anyone else with this model care to weigh in with their thoughts on it?......

....It also does not have an entertainment wall between the bedroom and the kitchen/living space. that is a huge bonus and allows for more seating. I'm surprised more trailers aren't built with that feature. probably because people are less apt to appreciate the murphy bed? .....
Our 2017 has been great and we've enjoyed the extra little features that Surveyor put in over other brands. Examples: Wrap around edge countertop, nicer cabinetry, undermount stainless steel sink, glass cover for the cooktop...Stuff like that. The Surveyor line as a whole is not the cheapest but a very good value for the money spent. It can easily be a 10 year trailer that your family can grow into.

As far as the murphy bed, extra seating & no entertainment center, that really was 180 degrees off of what we wanted & needed with 2 kids...now 3 kids.

Murphy bed:
Pros: the extra seating during the day is great. The trailer is 3 1/2' shorter in overall length than a regular bed
Cons: Folding and unfolding daily would get old. (Can those be folded with bedding on?), No privacy to change clothes, take a nap. Folding mattress options are very limited...and FR does not put quality into their mattresses.

Standard bed:
Pros: Dedicated sleeping areas for all people in the trailer. Privacy for adults changing clothes or napping. Put a TV in the bedroom and the bed is now a great movie area for the kids. Mattress options are endless and comfortable.
Cons: No couch or sofa to hang out on during the day

The reality is that if your trailer will be with you for the next 10 years, your kids won't be getting any smaller. It is really nice for each person to have their own dedicated, uninterrupted sleeping area that they can retreat to. Last summer on a 10 day vacation, I got sick one day and was laid up for 24 hours. Having a "bedroom" that I could lay down, close the pocket doors and relax was very nice. While I was miserable, it was still comfortable being in my own little space.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote