Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Monitor Panel - SV 304

Hi folks,

I have a new 2009 SV 304 that we have just started using this summer. The monitor panel for the blank water seems to be totaly incorrect......

After emptying the black water tank, then flsuhing through with the grey water, the black water reading still said 2/3. I went and opened up the valve again, and nothing came out meaning it was truly empty, but the reading was still at 2/3.

The first few times we emptied, it read E after we were complete. Not sure why this would happen.

Should I completely fill the tank with water to "clean" it out?? Why would this happen so quickly.

If you want a proper reading on any tank, Black would be the one !!!

Thanks for your help.
HockeyDad217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Have you been letting the tank fill before you empty it? If you leave it open all the time or empty it before it gets close to full then the solid stuff can start to build up in the bottom. I would fill it with water a few times and drain it. It could just be the guage or it could be full of solid waste. If it is full and filling it don't work then try filling it will water and driving around a little allowing the water to wash around and hopefully free the solid.
blake2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #3

Do you have a black water flush system installed? You might try that. If not then like the previous poster mentioned fill the tank with water directly from a hose through the toilet and take a drive. You might just have a piece of TP across the sensors. I have heard where some will put a bunch of ice cubes in which will help to knock stuff loose.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Cool My solution to this icky problem

I found this to work the best.

First - Understand how the idiot lights work. The 4 lights are an attempt to give you some idea how much junk there is in the tank. ALL types (Gray, Black, and Fresh) work the same. The Monitor bottom light (the one marked "empty" is ALWAYS ON. It gets power directly from the 12VDC coming from the power converter and really should be marked "POWER" not empty.

0910091217 pictures from travel photos on webshots

The stud on the left side "ground" and the three on the right indicate:

Bottom stud - Should be marked "NOT EMPTY" (the 1/3 Full light) From its position on the tank one or two flushes or a short burst of water from the tap will turn on this light. This can be on if anything is in the tank depending on if your tank is level or not

Middle stud - (the 2/3 Full light) should come on about half full. Gives you some idea that the tank is working correctly and "filling."

Top Stud - (the "Full" light) indicates about 2/3 full. NEVER dump until this light comes on. (Even with Turbo flush) You MUST have a full flow of water to make sure solids and any undisolved paper gets flushed out.

Turbo flush sprays against the far wall and may not remove built up crud on the sensors if its already junked up.

If you must dump before "FULL" then fill the Black tank with water till the FULL light comes on; Then Dump. ALWAYS leave the BLACK handle CLOSED (even in full hookups) until the FULL light comes on.

To Clean your BLACK tank if its already crudded up (I do this every other camping trip for maintenance):
DUMP TANK AND FLUSH with turbo wand (through John) or turbo flush fitting. CLOSE black water dump valve.
Add 2 capfuls of CALGON water SOFTENER and one capful of laundry detergent and at LEAST three gallons of water. THEN Right before you pull out for home, or your campground, add one or two BAGS of ICE CUBES or Crushed Ice through the John into the Black Tank.

Drive for at least 30 minutes.

When the tank NEXT indicates full (Even if its your next camping trip) repeat the entire thing.

The first time you do this (if you have a clear elbow on your dump connection) you will see VERY BLACK water coming out. (Not brown like now). That is the buildup from the tank walls.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor