Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

My new rig! (2011 Surveyor SP 186 Travel Trailer + 2007 Rav4 V6 Sport 4x4)

Just finished up taking out our new setup for the 2nd weekend in a row. Picked up the Surveyor in December brand new and it is our first trailer. I've had the Rav for 4 years now and have wanted to find a travel trailer for a long time now but had been having a hard time finding everything we wanted (ie: Shower, Sink in bathroom, Dedicated full queen bed, oven etc) while staying within the proper weight limits for the Rav (3500 lbs). Then we found the Surveyor Sp 186. It weighs around 3000 lbs dry and includes everything we were looking for including 2 30lb propane bottles and dual axles! It was perfect. Got the battery and WD hitch thrown in the deal and we were good to go!

Took it out for the first weekend and, just my luck, there is a pretty major windstorm happening in vancouver. Had my doubts about still taking it out for the first real drive since we brought it home from the dealer. Did it anyways and I was really surprised and impressed how well the setup handled the strong gusty crosswinds. Pulls like a champ with all our gear including a generator and a couple coolers full of food and drinks. We took it up to Porteau Cove and it handled the hills and winding sea to sky highway really well. Only felt slightly un-nerving because of the crazy wind but made it there without any issues at all. The Rav is actually a really capable tow-vehicle and feels very stable.

We thought that we were going to have some minor issues with the trailer on its maiden voyage but we pulled in to our spot right on the ocean, plugged in and everything worked just like it should! Used the oven to cook a lasagna, the fridge and feezer, furnace, a/c everything!

Very happy so far with our purchase and hope that it continues to be trouble-free! Can't wait to get out there and explore more!

PS Can't figure out how to add my pics because their too big. if anyone knows the trick i'd love to post some! thx
illucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on the new Surveyor! Sounds like a good unit. There's nothing like getting away every so often.

I had a 2010 Rav4 Sport that I was in love with! I had hoped to trade it in for a Rav4 wtih a tow package but the numbers for towing didn't work out. Therefore, I do recommend weighing the trailer & Rav4 fully loaded (including family) to verify that you are still within the Rav4 towing limit.

I can't be of much help with the pictures because I don't fully understand how I get pics to post.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Once you post your 1st picture, you will see how easy it is, but several steps are needed. This is copied from our "Forum 101" thread in Forum Admin and Announcements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
  • Click reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
  • Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 50K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

How to embed an image stored on another site:
You can do this by using image tags. Upload the image to a service like imageshack and then copy the URL of the image and put that between [IMG] tags. That will work well, as long as the host site stays in business and doesn't disable your image for overuse of bandwidth etc.

You can also paste in the location of a photo stored here in a photo gallery.

To do this: Paste the url of the image into your post. Then add the following code on either side of the url (with no extra spaces):

[IMG]url here[/IMG]

The image will appear where the url was in your text.

There are several ways to reduce a pictures size with added software, but the easiest for me is Windows "Paint", which is included it with most Windows operating systems. Open up the picture that you want in "Paint". Then you can reduce the picture with "resize". There is an option in Windows 7 to reduce the size in pixels if you like.

Mac users will have to post how to do that with their computers.....I haven't the foggiest.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the Surveyor. We love ours. They tow GREAT!! Have fun!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Cool

Enjoy! We, too, shared your excitement with the Surveyor SP186; my wife loved the queen size bed ... large refrigerator .... great bathroom .... and all of the features in an easy pulling light weight trailer! That is ... until the closet shelves all fell to the bottom ... door panel upgrades cracked ... the locked coupler released while making a turn with the trailer jack ending up inside / under our TV rear bumper (yes, it was checked multiple times before departure)... then, a final act of disdain - the valence over the dinette fell off of the wall. It appeared that the Lord had a different plan for us; so, we took a huge loss and traded it in on a different brand.

The SP186 sure does offer all the features we wanted at a very attractive weight and price ... enjoy and just keep an eye on things that might become problematic. Caveat emptor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	For FR Forum.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	10317  
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #6

Congrates on the new rig. We have a 2010 SP186. This will be our third season. Have only had a few minor issues. Were towing with a 2005 Jeep Liberty but upgraded to a 2010 Nissan Titan. The Jeep was rated for 5000# and towed great until we decided to tow with a full water tank combined with the wind moved the little Jeep around a little too much foir the wife. Problabley would have kept the Liberty but one of our favorite spots has no hook ups. Full load and full load out. The Nissan is rated for 9300#. Some times I forget the 186 is there. We like the fullsize camper ameneties in a samll package. Allows to go to allot of campgrounds bigger rigs would be able to get into. Plus our freinds tent and it allows to stay close to them. Good Luck with the new rig.