Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

Odor coming from Grey/Black water tanks

I have checked in the general forums and nothing popped up so I will ask here....
Wondering what folks do between camping trips to help with odor coming from the grey and/or black water tanks?
We have a new trailer with a back flush system for the black tank and run it faithfully whether a 2 day or one week trip but bits of paper just seem to keep coming...In our last trailer we had a spray wand that we would put down the toilet and spray any 'remnants' out of our black tank which worked well ... We never leave water or deodorizer in the tanks after cleaning but wonder if we should as I find this trip there seems to be a bit if an 'off' odor ... I out my Scentsy plug in on but don't want to just ask odor either😳... Recommendations/ ideas please

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leateix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

Dunno, seems like I saw where you need to keep a few gallons of water in the black tank to allow any residue to dissolve. Same for gray water, just not as critical.
If I keep some in black, I'd be sure to put blue stuff in it to keep any potential odors at bay.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
Dunno, seems like I saw where you need to keep a few gallons of water in the black tank to allow any residue to dissolve. Same for gray water, just not as critical.
If I keep some in black, I'd be sure to put blue stuff in it to keep any potential odors at bay.

Yes. After dumping and rinsing, add 4-5 gallons of water with the treatment of your choice. Then, make sure you leave a couple cups of water in the toilet bowl as well. If p traps dry out, you'll smell the grey tanks also, so if you don't use the camper for a while you may want to dump water in the sink and shower also.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leateix View Post
I have checked in the general forums and nothing popped up so I will ask here....
Wondering what folks do between camping trips to help with odor coming from the grey and/or black water tanks?
We have a new trailer with a back flush system for the black tank and run it faithfully whether a 2 day or one week trip but bits of paper just seem to keep coming...In our last trailer we had a spray wand that we would put down the toilet and spray any 'remnants' out of our black tank which worked well ... We never leave water or deodorizer in the tanks after cleaning but wonder if we should as I find this trip there seems to be a bit if an 'off' odor ... I out my Scentsy plug in on but don't want to just ask odor either😳... Recommendations/ ideas please

You should always pre-treat your tanks for the "next trip"

Here is our routine - YMMV.

Departure morning:
  1. After all the serious business is done on the toilet Dump your black tank.
  2. Run your turbo flush for 30 or so min. Turn off the turbo, let it drain out for 5-10 min & shut the black tank valve.
  3. Put @ 5 gal water in your black tank.
  4. Put in your black tank treatment.
  5. Once showers & dishes are done, drain your grey & galley tanks.
  6. Same as for the black, 5 GAL water in each tank.
  7. Put in gray tank treatment.
  8. Leave it alone until the next trip.

Notes:
  • If you are just moving down the road to a different CG, you can modify this procedure. What I like to do in this case, is put 5 gal of water in each GREY tank, 10-15 LBS of ice in the BLACK Tank and a 1/4 cup of SuperClean in every tank.
  • The ice will melt fast in the summer so make sure you put it in the black tank just before you leave so it will act as a "scrubber" as you roll down the road
  • You can get SuperClean pretty cheap (especially if you are a Prime member ) here:
  • (Amazon.com: SUPER CLEAN DEGREASER -- GALLON: Automotive)
  • If you are compulsive about "5 gallons" of water, use an old milk jug
  • Invest in a ice maker (Sam's has them now for $99.00) It will pay for itself your 1st season - everyone (not just your black tank ) likes ice!

Hope this helps!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Thanks so much BSVBamaBob! We have heard of putting ice down and in our old trailer we put calgon and a Dawn dish soap down the back tank ... We will give your suggestion a try.. BONUS... Already have the ice maker

Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

Odor coming from Grey/Black water tanks

Check your commode. If it's an older Dometic 300, that could be your problem. Check the threads on "Dometic 300".

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #7

Ours is a 2015... We think it was just no air movement as it happened x 2. We have ordered a cyclone and will have it installed on our fresh air holding tank piping...

Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Use the Geo Method (search on google). Time tested and works VERY well.
Westeric890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #9

Cyclone vent purchased and installed... Also Calgon fabric softener and Dawn ( blue) dish soap are on board

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank