Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Remove Underbelly Skin?

I did some searching trying to find an opinion or experience.
I posted about a black tank leak and now I'm thinking about telling the dealer to remove the covering and leave it off.
It kind of bugs the H#$l out of me thinking about gas lines or water lines or wires or connections or tanks or nuts or bolts or brackets that are loose or leaking or getting chaffed or worn or missing parts or... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why SHOULD I leave the cover off?
Why SHOULD I leave it on?
We won't be out in cold temps in winter.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Underbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I posted about a black tank leak and now I'm thinking about telling the dealer to remove the covering and leave it off.
It kind of bugs the H#$l out of me thinking about gas lines or water lines or wires or connections or tanks or nuts or bolts or brackets that are loose or leaking or getting chaffed or worn or missing parts or... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First thing comes to mind its there for a good reason, cuts wind resistance under way and helps save fuel.
Prevents fugitive road debris from striking and damaging the same cables, wires and piping you mentioned above.
Acts as insulation for heat and A/C when in use. (cool air sinks and escapes through the bottom.
As to the leak, unless that tank is still virgin the "black" water is very dark brown. How does it get bleached? Even gray water stinks to high heavens when allowed to ferment for awhile. I'd guess a tank vent connection leaked in the past and thats where the standing water came from. I'd have them inspect very carefully not only for the source but also for any damage the water may have caused. Besides the vent connection, it can be any input source such as sinks, shower etc.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I can give you a reason you may not have thought of:

My first ever endeavor in RV ownership came in the form of a 2005 Coachmen Spirit of America, a 26' entry level TT. As with most lower-end units, it didn't have an enclosed undercarriage. My wife came home one day with a dachshund that had been given to her by a family member. (Mistake number one.) Within three days, the dachshund had completely destroyed the wiring under the camper. I had to take it in to the dealer and shell out almost 500 bucks having it re-wired. If I could've caught that crazy dog, that would have been it's last act on earth, lol. The dachshund moved on to the local animal shelter shortly after...

So, in addition to things like drag, road hazards, and winter freeze protection you might want to add protection from troublesome dogs.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
jdadoug

Similar experiance

I had a similar expreriance............ except mine did have the under cover on it. Bought my first "learning camper" 2 years ago. Nice little 24" Skamper, been shedded all its life, the underside looked like it had just come off the show room floor!!! Went camping one weekend, the back end was pointed towards some timber fifty feet away, dog (black lab) slept under the camper each night.
Guess What??? Damn Pack rat climbed the stablizer arm and chewed through that nice clean undercovering and then through the insulation untill he hit plywood. I about freaked!!
About all I could do is pack it all back up there and sprayed some of that spray foam insulation around. Sawed the excess foam off and then put black 100 mph tape over it.
Thank goodness it didnt get any wires ect.

Flash forward to my "new" camper
Went camping, same lake area......... wooded area.......... see where I'm going with this??
Got about a mile from the lake returning home from a nice weekend.
New 2010 Ford pickup, only 5,000 miles on it.
Yellow Check engine light suddenly comes on
Stop and look around under the hood then decide there wasn't much else to do but drive the 30 miles home.
Get back to work next day and bring home the scanner box.
Knock Sensor bad
Finnally find the sensor, down under the intake manifold DEEP!
Guy at work is a Ford mechanic, he gets the part and only charges me $100 bucks to tear the intake off and put the knock sensor in.
Yeah, I got way off from the topic?question a little.........
Long story short, I would definatly put the under belly back, just one more layer to protect the "soft underside" of your camper. jdadoug
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

We have owned 4 differenent campers over nearly 30 years none of the have had the underbelly enclosed. It was an option I did not want on the new one. We do not winter camp & I like to inspect & see what is going on underneath. Frame cracks ,leaks etc. Doubt that there is that much drag.... It is a good insulation thing though. Don't see any use other than trouble............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

"Don't see any use other than trouble............"
Agree. The TT stinks inside and out now because the foul water and odors are being held in............
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

I'm with oak level, and you.
I have a enclosed underbelly and I ordered it, but I don't think I would again. I don't see the point in it unless our power goes out in the middle of the winter and we have to stay in the 5er.
I would like to get into the underside more often for mods and such but don't because of the underbelly.
- and drag, if I'm only getting about 10mpg now, I doubt that I would see any actual decrease without.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Thank you all for your responses!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #9

You can take the "cover" off of the underbelly in about 30 minutes by your self . I had a 37 foot 5th wh and alone I could, and did, remove it all in 30 min. with a battery drill . I see good and bad with the under cover . Its good when all is well down there and bad when you want to access something . But still its no big deal to access it . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #10

Thanks, Jim.
Right now it is under warranty...
and...
there is a bunch off pee water laying on it!! So I will leave it to the dealer to remove it! LOL!!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

this kind of stuff would definantly be the downside to working in a rv service department!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #12

Just wondering if my TT that have the underbelly covered do they put some type of insulation in there? If so what type of insulation?
Thanks,

John
2013 nights camped 27
2014 nights camped
BigJohn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn2 View Post
Just wondering if my TT that have the underbelly covered do they put some type of insulation in there? If so what type of insulation?
Thanks,

John
I can't speak for every trailer, but I have not seen one yet that had extra insulation behind the underbelly cover.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #14

Can't speak for all of them , but my Jayco Designer had pink fiberglass insulation . The entire bottom was insulated . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #15

My KZ had yellow fiberglass plus the Coroplass cover. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #16

Our KZ had yellow fiberglass plus the Coroplass cover. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn2
Thanks,

John
Probably not, the insul is in the floor, floorboard, foam and outer luan sandwiched together. Bored a 6" hole in mine, its a total of 51/2" thick about 80% styrofoam. The pan will serve as a dead space, retarding outside air from reaching the cabin. Ever sit in a underway vehicle and touch the floor and tranny tunnel. It can get quite warm at high sustained speed, all due to friction and turbulence. The mfg. didn't install the pan for free, Engineering, fab and install costs money, yours, why throw it away?
Just wondering....
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #18

"It kind of bugs the H#$l out of me thinking about gas lines or water lines or wires or connections or tanks or nuts or bolts or brackets that are loose or leaking or getting chaffed or worn or missing parts or..."
If this tank leaked or failed I could replace it myself w/o the hassle of having an unknown amount of sewage laying on the skin. Same with gray water problems. Also, the moisture is being held in against the frame and the floor materials. Why would I want my floor to be soaked in urine or ...?
If my brakes are acting up I could easily check for many simple problems or fixes.
Same with lights.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #19

ok, thanks. I will have to look and see if I have any under my Surveyor 305. Wonder how much this spry in Foam installation weights? Spray Foam Insulation | Home Insulation | RetroFoam™

Later,

John
2013 nights camped 27
2014 nights camped
BigJohn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn2
ok, thanks. I will have to look and see if I have any under my Surveyor 305. Wonder how much this spry in Foam installation weights? Spray Foam Insulation | Home Insulation | RetroFoam™

Later,

John
Two Depots and one Lowes full, easy on very difficult off!

Tags
underbelly