Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #1

Revisiting the Dometic Refrigerator Fan Noise and Less Than Stellar Cooling

I have read all the posts concerning the fan noise of the Dometic rv gas/electric refrigerators. I know how to fix the noise but have questions someone may have already dealt with. The noisey fan is an easy replacement and I can add another at the same time I replace the original.

First question: when we removed the outside cover there was a piece of interior paneling silicone in place that left an open gap about 5 inches from the top. The vent's were not blocked and air could still get in but the paneling must have restricted air flow. Our only thought was it might have been there to prevent water from entering the lower vent's. Is there any reason for this paneling to be there?

Second question: There seemed to be two solutions to poor cooling in the Dometic refrigerator. The two solution seem to be so similar I am looking for a little clarification. Both suggest adding two fans but one camp adds them to the outside blowing up through the cooling find. The other suggests adding two fans inside the refrigerator to move the air around so no cold/freeze spot develops. So, are the two fans on the inside and the two fans on the outside an either / or, or both?
mphill9929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

Hi,

My belief is that the panel at the top endures that air flow from below is more completely directed up and over the cooling fins. Without it, the flow would be less forceful at the upper end of the large opening, where the fins are located.

I think the two fan solutions are actually for two different problems. Exterior fans improve the gross functioning of the cooling system. Internal fans improve the effect of that cooling as it applies to refrigerator contents at all locations inside. They compensate for airflow obstruction caused by that big milk jug, the crammed-in Tupperware, etc.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #3

DOMETIC 2 sided Refirg/freezer

We have a double sided dometic -brand new forester-2018 purchased in April. cooling issues. It takes 2 days to get cool. Freezer is fine. If I have AC on it seems that refrig doesn't stay below 43. Do you run these on LP only? In for service now and we are told it is working fine. We have been rving for 8 years, always had single door units. Any advise is appreciated. We don't jam pack this either.
etwevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwevans View Post
We have a double sided dometic -brand new forester-2018 purchased in April. cooling issues. It takes 2 days to get cool. Freezer is fine. If I have AC on it seems that refrig doesn't stay below 43. Do you run these on LP only? In for service now and we are told it is working fine. We have been rving for 8 years, always had single door units. Any advise is appreciated. We don't jam pack this either.
Our single door Dometic has a temperature adjustment in the fridge. It is a small sliding clip on one of the cooling fins at the back of the refrigerator compartment.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #5

Not sure if we do- I'll check it out!
Thanks
Kris
etwevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Dometic temp adjuster looks like the one found here

https://rvtravel.com/adjusting-refri...ezer-the-same/
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #7

Did it all...

I have replaced and added high volume cooling fans to the outside of our Dometic DM 2652 refrigerator. I added internal cooling fans to the interior of the fridge. I have tested and confirmed my thermister is working. We have started it on propane and switched to electric and loaded it with precooked foods. We have shaken the rv... The drain hose is properly in place but gas no valve to prevent outside air to enter so as a temporary measure we made a small plug out of an old towel and plugged the hose. Air will not flow but water will wick out.

In essence we have done every fix / hack we could find.

This is MY final determination.

The Dometic DM 2652 looses or gains efficiency as the outside temperatures increases or diminishes. If outside temps are over 90 degrees and you are parked, the fridge will cool to the high 40s. If outside temps go over 95+ cooling temp my only go down to the low 50s.

Opening the door to check the temperature allows the cool air to fall out and it will take even longer for out to cool down.

Outside temperatures around 80 or less and the fridge cools to the low 40s - high 30s.

If you are traveling, there coolant moves more freely, air is moving a bit more on the outside cooling find but temps will got reduce more than a couple of degrees.

My conclusion is that the replacement fans and the installation of internal fans adds a negligible amount if help. The position of the thermister is somewhat helpful, the higher, the better. But the reason so many people have cooling issues is because of outside temperatures. It is worth the effort to add the fans, the will move more air and are quieter than the original fan. So if it is hot, bring an ice chest too.
mphill9929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic, fan, noise, refrigerator