Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Roof Repair

I have a surveyor 235SV with a roof leak in the back right corner above the front of the rear slide. Under the rubber roof the plywood is wrinkled and obviously damp. Having just completed a floor repair I found it was made of 1-1/2 inches of styrofoam sandwitched between 1/8 inch ply. Is the roof the same material, and how difficult is it to remove the roof molding, fold back the rubber and replace that stuff? I replace the damaged floor with 2x4 since they are 1-1/2 inches thick but I don't think I can do that on the roof. Any suggestions? Thanks.
nickatnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

The roof construction is the same as the floor. It should not be too hard to remove the trim. Not sure about how easy the roof rummer will peel back. I would try to get it opened up and let the area dry out real good. Depending on the condition, it might be possible to just get it dry and put it back together and seal it up.

Good Luck!
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

Found the leak: Check your awning brackets.

I think I located my leak at the rear right corner of my surveyor. There are two bolts holding the awning bracket. There was old caulk around them that had pulled away. I removed them one at a time. They are 3 inches long and were rusty too the tip. However they were not wet or even damp. I coated them with elastomeric caulk and put them back in, then put more caulk around them. Did the same with the front bracket. Everyone should check those brackets once in a while to be sure they are well sealed. For now I will not peel back the roof material. I may have to if the condition worsens.
nickatnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

If you remove the plastic trim from any roof penetration (vent or AC air handler) you will see the roof panels have a thicker upper wood lamination than lower. The wall laminations appear to be equal thickness.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

Excuse me for jumping in here but for the life of me I can't see how to start a new thread...

I have a 2008 FR Surveyor SV302 (Bumper pull) that I bought used in March, 2011 -

I was in the process of cleaning the roof in order to treat when I discovered a soft spot in the underlayment. It's like a irregular hole in the plywood about 2 1/2 inches @ the widest point. It's seem like something hit it - Falling tree branch? The edges of the hole seem firm, not like rotten wood from water damage. The membrane does not appear to have any holes but there are some abraisions.

What should I do to repair this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Richard
rlray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #6

If the roof is made of plywood, there could be a knot hole under you rubber material. If you go to a hardware store and look at a sheet of plywood, especially cheap stuff, you'll notice that there are pock marks, knot holes in the sheet. These are actually limb holes. If you understand how plywood is made you'll onow what I'm talking about. If the edges of the pivot are solid and not soft, I wouldn't worry. I certainly wouldn't walk on this area as you may cut into the rubber roof with the sharp edges of the plywood hole. Kind of like a biscuit cutter from underneath.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

Thanks grb2980! A poster on another thread also said not to worry - That I could use Ethrabond sp? or Dicor? tape if I was worried about it leaking. Think I look into doing that.

This is a GREAT forum!! Thanks, R
rlray42 is offline   Reply With Quote