Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

RV Park Cable Issue

Hello Friends. Thanks in advance. I’m at an RV Park and am testing some things on my new 2018 Surveyor 200MBLE. I have hooked up a new coaxial cable to the RV Park cable outlet and into my TT cable connection. I have run a cable channel scan on my Jensen TV and nothing. The boost/amplifier is off and so is the green light. The TV is set to “TV” and “cable” in the menu. I know those are the common issues overlooked. I’m starting to think maybe this Jensen TV doesn’t have a qam tuner? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

Maybe the problem is with the campground cable?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

On my TT I have 2 connections, cable and Sat. Ironically I have to connect to the Sat to get cable TV. As for the TV, I had to manually "set up" to get the connection to work. I just couldn't set to cable and run a scan.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Always Learning

First things first, make sure it isn't the campground cable. Run the cable line directly to the rear of the TV (through a window/door/something). Retry the scan. If it works, the issue then is something with the camper. If it doesn't, then it's the campground.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks. Just ran the coaxial through a window and scanned again. Nothing. Does it matter if the tv is set to Auto scan or STD scan?

So either it is the campground, the lack of a qam tuner, or the coaxial cable I’m guessing?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #6

Problem solved. The RV Park guy came out and replaced his coaxial connection. I have to admit, I have had so many major and minor issues with this new TT that I assumed it was my TT and not the RV Park.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrowland View Post
Problem solved. The RV Park guy came out and replaced his coaxial connection. I have to admit, I have had so many major and minor issues with this new TT that I assumed it was my TT and not the RV Park.

Awesome! It’s easy to assume a provided utility is good and the problem must be with our equipment... especially if you’ve had other issues.

That’s why I like the “through the window” trick. Takes everything out of play!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Always Learning

And for future readers- Jbrowland did everything right. They had the antenna booster OFF and did a cable scan. The only other thing to try at the rig side is the different cable connection points like another responder posted.

Once you do all of that, then you specially test the park’s cable and/or your piece of coax.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #9

This keeps coming up. Here is a list of QAM compatible TVs: TV Compatibility Reference Guide | Information Technology | Drexel University

One thing to add, ependydad, is to check another cable connection. Ask your neighbor if they have cable. If so, ask if you can quickly use their cable connection to try yours.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

This reminds me of one time in campground neighbor had guy from park checking connection on post. When I asked if booster was off he didn't know what it was, or where to find it. Turns out it was on problem solved. I had to learn this the hard way and have helped several neighbors over the years.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #11

There have been several times that cable reception was very grainy and weak, I used keyboard duster spray can directly on the park cable connector and the reception came in clear as a bell.
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
On my TT I have 2 connections, cable and Sat. Ironically I have to connect to the Sat to get cable TV. As for the TV, I had to manually "set up" to get the connection to work. I just couldn't set to cable and run a scan.

Safe and happy travels.

I have precisely the same problem.

I had a thought the other day. What if the third connector is actually an output for an outside TV? I will test that theory next time I am out with the eyePod.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Lightbulb

At one RV park I frequent in the Colorado Rockies I've found that even though the RV park calls it 'cable', it is really just the local channels broadcast from their DirecTV connection in the clubhouse.

I tried scanning with the TV set on 'cable' and got nothing but sound with a grainy, unwatchable picture.

For whatever reason, I set the TV back to 'antenna' and scanned, and suddenly I got all of the channels perfectly!

That being said...both RV's that I've bought brand new (both in the last five years) the entire coax setup in both were wired up completely backwards!

I made both of them work while out camping, then asked both different dealers to fix it right...

And when I got each one back (two different dealerships), they wired them both back up the way they came from the factory...backwards again!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable