Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Question SP295 - move entertainment center?

This is an odd question, but does anyone know if I can move the center Entertainment Center? Where the TV, Radio/DVD player is mounted? I want to move it a few inches towards the rear of the TT.

The reason is I am too tall and when we ordered the SP295 I didnt know there was not a gap in-between the bed and TV center like our old TT and the SP294 they had in stock. The SP294 has sliding doors so there was a space. The 295 has the cheap accordion panels so the bed is flush. On our old TT my feet hung off the end of the bed into that gap! On our 295 I have to sleep at an angle which doesnt make my DW happy and if I angle the other way I feel like I am going to slide off the edge!

Possible issues I see -
1) wiring for TV and DVD/Radio.
2) I havent gotten that far into it to see how it is actually mounted in the TT. I have no idea if it is screwed into braces above and below that would no longer be there if moved.
3) any possible warranty issues since it is brand new

I did ask the dealer and he had no idea and wasnt about to try it or tell me to go for it. It is really driving me nuts after going on two trips. We like most everything else about the TT (especially the kitchen which is why we got the 295 vs. the 294) but I have to sleep!

oh - I cant sleep in the bunks, they are also 74" and the dining room bed/area is taken up by our babies pack-and-play/crib at night.
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #2

Nobody wants to give any input? I think this winter I may just give it a shot...
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
Nobody wants to give any input? I think this winter I may just give it a shot...
Might be beneficial to others if you posted pictures so we knew what you were talking about.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

I assume most newer, larger TT's have a center entertainment center where the TV mounts, radio mounts, etc. I want to move that entire cabinet towards the rear of the TT. Even moving it 3-4" would help which I about what I think is the max it could move due to wiring that is run to it. I think the issues other than wiring are what the actual cabinet is screwed too in the roof and floor. If it is screwed into supports, then it cant move. There would not be a support just inches away.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Might be beneficial to others if you posted pictures so we knew what you were talking about.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #6

Exactly what good would posting a photo of the stock entertainment center of a TT do for this thread? What would you like to see in the photo?

I cant take a pic anyway, it is at the dealer for another recall and to fix a pile of other problems we had on our second outing with it...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Exactly what good would posting a photo of the stock entertainment center of a TT do for this thread? What would you like to see in the photo?

I cant take a pic anyway, it is at the dealer for another recall and to fix a pile of other problems we had on our second outing with it...
None whatsoever, we all know what your layout is and have seen it a hundred times at least. Just wanted to give you something to do.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP said, its a pretty common setup. This is from the SP-280 but IIRC its a similar bedroom setup to the SP-295. Correct me if I am wrong, CHD Dad.

To answer your question, I have not heard of anyone moving their entertainment system back. Not saying it can't be done, though. I just haven't seen it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	17651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	17652  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
As the OP said, its a pretty common setup. This is from the SP-280 but IIRC its a similar bedroom setup to the SP-295. Correct me if I am wrong, CHD Dad...
Not to be confrontational, but I have never, in over 40 yrs camping seen the entertainment center used as the foot of the bed. I would not think it would be a monumental job as you could disassemble the center and install a larger cover board on the ceiling, anchoring it in the original holes and mearly offsetting the center to the rear of the trailer.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Not to be confrontational, but I have never, in over 40 yrs camping seen the entertainment center used as the foot of the bed. I would not think it would be a monumental job as you could disassemble the center and install a larger cover board on the ceiling, anchoring it in the original holes and mearly offsetting the center to the rear of the trailer.
Not to be confrontational?? Your posts prior to this aren't exactly helpful either.

Triguy - Thank you for posting that photo. Since every camper we have looked at in the past few years, including our friends we camp with have that same entertainment setup (if they do have one), I assumed it was pretty common. All of them except ours had a space at the end of the bed and so there was room. Ours is flush with the mattress so zero extra room.

dunnnc - thank you for the idea of offsetting the unit and keeping it anchored at the same location. I had not thought of that and if I go ahead with the modification will plan that from the start.

Now I need to decide to do it now or wait until my 2 yr warranty is up... With all the little things that keep popping up that need repaired I may be more tempted to wait.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had looked at similar floor plans and went for the 301 instead mainly because of the entertainment center being on top of the bed. One other concern for you to watch out for ... Pay attention to the slide out clearance. I haven't been in a 295 but in the other models I did go through there wouldn't be more than an inch or 2 max to play with.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #12

The 295 has a shallow slide out. I can move it quite a bit if I wanted too, I did check to see if there was clearance. Where I would run into issues first would be the entry into the camper. I have around 6" to work with and then it would start getting to be an issue.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That's good news. It's impossible to tell in the online floorplans. If you decide to go forward with the change please post pics of the process as I am sure there are others who would benefit.

Good luck!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #14

If I go ahead with this I plan on taking a ton of photos! I just need to decide when or if I want to attempt it. It really would make the TT nearly perfect if I was able to move it.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If I go ahead with this I plan on taking a ton of photos! I just need to decide when or if I want to attempt it. It really would make the TT nearly perfect if I was able to move it.
If time & help permitted, I would go for it immediately so you can enjoy the camper as it was intended by your purchase. If you are careful with the dis-assembly, I don't think it would take 2 people over a day or two to complete and see no reason for it having anything to do with a warranty problem. Needless to say, make sure you tag the wires and the location on the different items where the wires connect.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad
This is an odd question, but does anyone know if I can move the center Entertainment Center? Where the TV, Radio/DVD player is mounted? I want to move it a few inches towards the rear of the TT.

The reason is I am too tall and when we ordered the SP295 I didnt know there was not a gap in-between the bed and TV center like our old TT and the SP294 they had in stock. The SP294 has sliding doors so there was a space. The 295 has the cheap accordion panels so the bed is flush. On our old TT my feet hung off the end of the bed into that gap! On our 295 I have to sleep at an angle which doesnt make my DW happy and if I angle the other way I feel like I am going to slide off the edge!

Possible issues I see -
1) wiring for TV and DVD/Radio.
2) I havent gotten that far into it to see how it is actually mounted in the TT. I have no idea if it is screwed into braces above and below that would no longer be there if moved.
3) any possible warranty issues since it is brand new

I did ask the dealer and he had no idea and wasnt about to try it or tell me to go for it. It is really driving me nuts after going on two trips. We like most everything else about the TT (especially the kitchen which is why we got the 295 vs. the 294) but I have to sleep!

oh - I cant sleep in the bunks, they are also 74" and the dining room bed/area is taken up by our babies pack-and-play/crib at night.
I strongly encourage you to call the factory. You could be messing with structural integrity as well as weight balance. They may be able to advise you on if it could be modified to give you some room, but maintain any critical elements. Good luck!
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I strongly encourage you to call the factory. You could be messing with structural integrity as well as weight balance. They may be able to advise you on if it could be modified to give you some room, but maintain any critical elements. Good luck!
Nothing wrong with calling the factory, but with the construction of the entertainment center cabinet, it is VERY doubtful it could be used in the structural integrity of the trailer. Even so, moving it 3"-6" would have little or no effect on the structure and putting backer boards on the floor & ceiling should alleviate any problem. There are too many different floor plans for the same frame to be using cabinets as structural members.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Nothing wrong with calling the factory, but with the construction of the entertainment center cabinet, it is VERY doubtful it could be used in the structural integrity of the trailer. Even so, moving it 3"-6" would have little or no effect on the structure and putting backer boards on the floor & ceiling should alleviate any problem. There are too many different floor plans for the same frame to be using cabinets as structural members.
Don't be so sure. Moving several hundred pounds 6" could have a big effect on tongue weight. Also, the design may need a bulkhead - not sure they are sound completely open - that is what the manufacturer can tell you - if they will. Some smaller trailers are completely open up front without the entertainment center, but all the bigger trailers have one, or some kind of bulkhead. It may not support the roof, but dampen twisting, but I'm only speculating.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Don't be so sure. Moving several hundred pounds 6" could have a big effect on tongue weight. Also, the design may need a bulkhead - not sure they are sound completely open - that is what the manufacturer can tell you - if they will. Some smaller trailers are completely open up front without the entertainment center, but all the bigger trailers have one, or some kind of bulkhead. It may not support the roof, but dampen twisting, but I'm only speculating.
Several hundred pounds? OP is only talking about 3"-6" max and the entire entertainment center can't weigh over 40# including the equipment. 1x3's & 1/8" plywood stapled together make a pretty weak bulkhead.

And I did say talking to the factory couldn't hurt.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Several hundred pounds? OP is only talking about 3"-6" max and the entire entertainment center can't weigh over 40# including the equipment. 1x3's & 1/8" plywood stapled together make a pretty weak bulkhead.

And I did say talking to the factory couldn't hurt.
I was assuming that the one in your Flagstaff is similar to one I have in a Sunset Trail - it's a big cabinet with a fireplace, 32" tv, both on swivels and with shelving sections. It's easily 300#. Most I've seen in new trailers are similar. If you are talking that little weight, then I wouldn't necessarily worry about that, unless you can see some metal posts inside there.

Tags