Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Storage Recommendations

Hello folks,

I have recently taken delivery of a SP192T. We are thrilled and have lots of camping planned.

Here is the question: Where do you put everything? I am coming from the Popup world and having all this space is overwhelming! I would love to hear where people put the stuff that they amass for the camping trip. What do you put in the front pass through, street side storage, curbside storage, inside the camper etc.

Really would like to see pictures of your set up to help me get some ideas. We are heading on our first shakedown at a park about 10 minutes from the house (Toronto's only urban campground - Glen Rouge) and will start to take notes there.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Can't really help with where to put what since I am not familiar with your trailer but wanted to say congratulation and have a great season camping.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Team

just so you know, i believe the 192 is a hybrid, not a TT. there's a Expandable/Hybrid section here at FRF, with a Surveyor sub-section.
there won't be any hybrid owners posting in the TT/5th wheel section.
might be some 192 or 191 owners there that can address specifics to your model.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome and oops I posted to the wrong forum.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike
Old 06-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Site Team

The key for me was to keep it simple and easy to get to. At first look it seems that my trailer had a lot of storage but turns out it was limited storage. There was a short period of trial and error before finding out what worked.

Put things where you will be using them. Kitchen stuff usually goes in the kitchen, bedroom stuff in the bedroom, etc. However, when space is limited you will need to adjust. I think once you have taken car of the kitchen, bathroom & bedroom you will see where the other stuff will need to go.

As for the storage bay areas - items I need to set up camp with (sewer hose, water hose, power cord, etc.) will be on the driver side storage while other items I need to hitch up with will end up on the other side. Due to the bed layout/direction some items must go on the driver side where there is more room & visibility.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Site Team

my Roo 23SS has only one outside storage area. the new 23SS's now have two.
i put my sewer stuff in the outside storage area. the flush valve attachment, the flush wand, extra chemicals, gloves, sewer hose adapters.
i also put my outside propane stuff in there.

inside, we also have more room than we need. so, stuff in the upper cabinets usually are food-related.
stuff in the lower cabinets are for everything else.
food-related stuff stay are near the kitchen area. stuff for setting up at the campsite, are in the cabinet by the door.
stuff for the bunk ends is under the front bunk.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #7

orgnization

You will have to do some experimenting!

Here are some suggestions of things that work for us:

Utensils, cutlery, plates glasses, bowls, cooking and baking pans, etc - all just for the RV. So you don't have to re-load all that stuff onto the trailer before you leave. I also find trays (think cafeteria sized) helpful so if you need to use another surface as a work are the mess is contained. They don't take up much room - mine fit in the microwave.

I store food staples (flour sugar spices salt baking powder, corn starch, baking soda etc) in square or rectangular restaurant clear food storage containers (rubbermaid) which you can get at Sam's Club or restaurant supply places. They just happen to be cabinet sized. They keep stuff from sliding around, and any spills are inside the box rather than inside the cabinet. These also work for the children's craft and school supplies (pens markers, colored pencils, crayons, journals, workbooks etc)

Also along with the restaurant supply resource are bus boxes - In a restaurant used to get dirty dishes from the table to the kitchen. They are quite sturdy and have functioned as outside bathtubs for children or muddy adult feet. Inside while traveling they hold boots and shoes, and in the storage bays keep like items together for easy access.

I also found that the square plastic containers sold filled with candy at Trader Joe's are the perfect size for the shelf rack in the bathroom. They corral toothbrushes/ paste, little items like nail clippers etc and aren't obtrusive.

I think the trick is trial and error. It is easy to bring too much - thinking that you might need it. Perhaps a good question is "Do they have stores where you are going and am I going to be able to get to a store when I need it?" So for example fuses are commonly sold at stores, but if you need one you might not be able to get there.

Other things I bring because I don't want to be faced with paying convenience store prices for something like laundry detergent or bug spray.

We are still sorting out what is useful to have on board.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Team

I also found that the square plastic containers sold filled with candy at Trader Joe's are the perfect size for the shelf rack in the bathroom. They corral toothbrushes/ paste, little items like nail clippers etc and aren't obtrusive.

I'm always hearing about Trader Joe's so it might be time to check them out since we have one not too far away.

I brought a couple of plastic butter dishes at the Dollar Tree store or 99 cent store. I tossed out the bottom plate and used the clear plastic covers for cottonballs & Q-tips and then misc. items in the second one. Also using drawer organizers for the other stuff but the TJ candy boxes sound *sweeter* and cheaper to do.

Camco makes a mini dishpan (tub, not rack) that fits inside RV sinks & cabinets. I love mine. Great holding bin for dirty dishes until it is time to wash the dishes. I use my dishpan as a holding bin for bread items or fresh fruit while traveling. This dishpan is great to protect the sink when cleaning larger cookware that could scatch the sink.

Camco RV Mini DishPan
Camco Mini Dishpan, Rv, Camco at Sportsman's Guide

Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to stefatc
FYI for the sewer stuff... Back bumper! There is a cap, so open the cap and put it there. No bad smell in you trailler!

I put the chairs on the front left side, the outdoor kitchen in the front right side and the tools are in the back right side.

But you'll see, try and try and try is the key. So not Forget to have a stable trailler!

2006 Ford Expedition Limited 4X4
2005 Surveyor SC-255RS
I had Tent trailer 1999 Viking, and before that it was tent for 7 years.

Supports our troops
stefatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefatc View Post
FYI for the sewer stuff... Back bumper! There is a cap, so open the cap and put it there. No bad smell in you trailler!
Beware: During my pdi the guy comment that losing the bumper caps is very common. On the way home from the pdi I lost both bumper caps.

The good news is that there are a few types of bumper caps to choose from including one that locks in place.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Beware: During my pdi the guy comment that losing the bumper caps is very common. On the way home from the pdi I lost both bumper caps.

The good news is that there are a few types of bumper caps to choose from including one that locks in place.
This issue has been addressed before with some great solutions. Check http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lugs-4596.html
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
This issue has been addressed before with some great solutions. Check http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lugs-4596.html
Great link with useful information - Thanks!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #13

These are all great ideas. I just took everything out of the garage and loaded it in the truck to take to the trailer tomorrow. I can't believe how much stuff I have!

The bumper plugs seem like an easy fix. I am going to take some action there. I like the suggestion of the dish rack. Funny thing is I actually had one of those in my hand this afternoon but put it back on the shelf.

I am going to the local Walmart tomorrow to get some clear bins for the storage compartments.

The trip that we are most looking forward to is from July 25 to August 16. We are starting in Gananoque, ON then to Lake Placid, NY then Quechee,VT and landing at Bay View in Cape Cod for a week. We then head back the same way we came. It will be easier on the kids (DD 6 and DS 2 1/2).

Would love to hear some thoughts about packing for this big trip.

Thanks again,

Mike