Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Surveyor 263

Hi All,

I just joined this forum, mainly because I have a question, but hope to contribute in the future if we carry through with our purchase.

We have looked at a 2008 Surveyor 263 for the last couple of months, and fell like we are ready to make an offer. But I can't find any owner input on this model, so I hope someone on this forum is familar with that unit.

Our questions:

Overall impression on the SV263 (quality, problems, livability, etc.) ??

Any towing problems with 1/2 ton pickups on this or the similar model SV 264.
(We will be towing with a 2006 F150 4x4 Super Cab, 6.5' Bed [145" wheelbase] 5.4L engine, 3.73 gears, towing package, rated @ 9300 lb. tow capacity). Some of the towing will be in mountainous areas, mainly the Blue Ridge and Alleghenys. We currently pull a Trailmanor weighing ~3500 lbs. with no problem. We intend to install a Reese Straigt Line WDH with 800 lb. trunnion bars.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Team

to FRF!

While I can't specifically speak to the 263, the surveyor line appears to be sound. A few people have had issues but the majority have been minor. We've only had 2 very minor issues with ours and we love it!

It'll probably weigh a bit over 5,000 lbs ready to camp, so your F150 should handle it pretty good. The mountains will have it revved on up there but, don't worry about that. The 800# "straight line" will be a good match for that rig.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We have a 235RKS that is very similar in weight; perhaps a bit shorter. we have exactly the same TV specification. Truck pulls it fine although you will be locking out OD most of the time. In the mountains, you will have some 50 mph, second gear, 3,500 rpm action. I have found it very difficult to use cruise control while towing though. That's a disappointment. It likes to come out of torque converter lock pretty easily for some reason.

Survey quality is good in my opinion. We had a couple of initial warranty issues which the dealer handled well. I'd say go for it. I think you'll have a good setup and be happy.

BTW, we also have the Reese Dual Cam setup and like it a lot.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the replies. With y'all's vote of confidence, and other positive things said about Forest River products, and especially the Surveyor on this fourm, I just called the dealer and spent a bunch of money.

acadianbob, I have found even pulling my low profile Trailmanor, it is best to leave the cruise control off unless I am on really level road........and that just don't happen around here. I figured that once I start pulling a high profile trailer, the OD will have to stay off also. And I already do the 3500 rpm 2nd gear climb up the hills around here. Thanks for the heads-up.

Chap
Old 09-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You will be fine. I have a ScanGaugeII on my truck to monitor cylinder head temps, tranny temps, etc. Even pulling 5,000 pounds from Minnesota to Glacier Park, all of the towing temps were within a few degrees of temps when unladen. We only saw elevated trans temp on VERY extended, VERY steep mountain grades. Like 10 miles at 10% grade. Then we saw trans temps around 200 degrees. Otherwise trans temp stayed right around 160.

Good luck. LEt us know what you do and how it goes.

Bob
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You will be fine. I have a ScanGaugeII on my truck to monitor cylinder head temps, tranny temps, etc. Even pulling 5,000 pounds from Minnesota to Glacier Park, all of the towing temps were within a few degrees of temps when unladen. We only saw elevated trans temp on VERY extended, VERY steep mountain grades. Like 10 miles at 10% grade. Then we saw trans temps around 200 degrees. Otherwise trans temp stayed right around 160.

Good luck. LEt us know what you do and how it goes.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the reassuring information. Since we have the same truck specs, I would hope that my temps. would be in the same general area. Since the aux. transmission cooler is online before the standard cooler, I was expecting the temps to be near the radiator temps, probably 192 or so.....not sure what kinda thermostats they use now. That aux. tranny cooler must really bring the temps down good.

I am hoping that Santa Claus will bring me a ScanGauge for Christmas.

Chap
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think the tranny cooler works well. We even saw temps down as low as the 140's occasionally. I think it is tough when you are pulling hard because you also tend to be moving slower. So I suppose it doesn't cool quite as well. It also happened to be 90 degrees the day we did the big climb; Chief something or other in Wyoming. I did change my trans fluid when I got back; but we were at 30M miles so it probably was due anyway.

I hope you get the ScanGaugeII through the finance committee at home!!

: - )

Seriously, it is a VERY nice unit and you will appreciate it a lot.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We did decide to purchase the Surveyor 263, and it tows great......but not quite as good as our Trailmanor, for obvious reasons. But I think the unit grew some from since we viewed in the dealer's lot......that puppy is big, at least to us comparing it to our 2720 Trailmanor. I am having to learn how to tow all over again.

The Reese Strait Line WDH seems to work good, especially after some tweaking with the dealer's setup. I will be posting on the towing forum concerning some questions that I have on my setup.

Did I mention that that puppy is big.

Chap
Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Is the 263 a brand new floor plan or something. I was just on the Forest River web site to look at your floor plan and specs. The 263 is not even listed in the Surveyor floor plans!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is the 263 a brand new floor plan or something. I was just on the Forest River web site to look at your floor plan and specs. The 263 is not even listed in the Surveyor floor plans!

acadianbob, I don't know what happened, but I failed to notice your question from almost a month ago.....sorry about that.

The 263 was discontinued in the 2008 model year. That is why we figured we better go on and get it at the end of season, as there probably won't be any left by next spring.

You can check out the stats from an old Surveyor brochure at: http://www.wideworldrv.com/lit/surveyor2007.pdf
The 2008 brochure does not show our model, so apparently they date the brochures the year before the models that are shown.

I see where there is a category of "Discontinued Models" on the forum. Does that mean a whole line of RVs, or specific models within a brand?? If it includes specific models, I will list ours later.

Chap
Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

that's a real nice layout. makes you wonder why they discontinued it. we love our surveyor and hope you do too.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
that's a real nice layout. makes you wonder why they discontinued it. we love our surveyor and hope you do too.
We kinda wondered why our model was discontinued, also. It has a nice, livable layout. The windows around the living area are great…..you can see out of 3 sides from the table and sofa. The trailer is very usable even with the slide in….something we hope to enjoy for quick lunches and such. The fridge, pantry, kitchen cabinets, and waste tanks are just forward of the axles for good weight distribution, with the fresh water tank just aft of the axles. But that being said, it seems to have a bit much tongue weight, even with the slide behind the axles. Lookn’ forward to spring so we can really try out that puppy.

Chap
Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It will seem like a long wait. It was -10 here this morning after a foot of snow yesterday. Guess we'll have to spend out timing "plotting" the coming summer's outings!! You should be about a month ahead of us for "spring".
Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #14

Hi all,

We just put a deposit on a 2007 Surveyor 263 and are having some second thoughts. Maybe you can talk us through this. Our main worry is weight. The sales people have all told us our Toyota Tacoma double cab, towing capacity 6500#, will work with this model. Obviously, we are new to the travel trailer world, so I'm sure you understand our concerns. We are getting something called a "blue ox" for towing.
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAlover View Post
Hi all,

We just put a deposit on a 2007 Surveyor 263 and are having some second thoughts. Maybe you can talk us through this. Our main worry is weight. The sales people have all told us our Toyota Tacoma double cab, towing capacity 6500#, will work with this model. Obviously, we are new to the travel trailer world, so I'm sure you understand our concerns. We are getting something called a "blue ox" for towing.
VAlover,

I just PMd you.

to the forum !!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you will be happy towing that big a trailer with a Tacoma. It may not even be safe. Your TV wheelbase is rather short for this big a trailer too.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs

Tags
surveyor