Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Surveyor 264RKS

My Wife and I have been looking at a number of TT models. We like the Surveyor layout and size since it will just be us most likely doing the camping. The local dealer here is has a pretty good rep.

Looking at a 2015 Model. Would you do the purchase again?

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

My trailer is the same floor plan, but a '12 model and has the SV designation, 10th Anniversary Edition, (no longer made). That supposedly was a little nicer trailer. It came with some upgrades like power stabilizers and tongue jack, Fantastic Fan, upgraded mattress, Tor-Flex axles, and a few other things. I've had a few problems, but all in all it hasn't been bad... lots of little stuff that I've fixed. Made a call to the dealer about one problem and he said bring it, but expect a 2 - 3 month wait for it. Fixed that myself, too... for $6-...

Good things... Kitchen in adequate; Tor-Flex tows well (but yours won't have it); Lay out is OK for 2; Bathroom is very usable; Storage space is adequate for 2; I've had no leaks.

Bad things... Couch isn't comfortable; Could actually use more storage; Plastic kitchen sink, (replaced it myself with stainless steel); Rear kitchen stuff gets bounced a lot, so pack it carefully; 2 sewer outlets can be a problem in some places, (we use 2 slinkies and a Y connector); Sits low and drags when towing sometimes (because of Tor-Flex, yours should be higher); Had to repair bath skylight myself (recall item); Crappy TowMax tires; Water filter under cabinet, (moved mine outside with a bracket on the side of the trailer); Needs more screws in cabinet door hinges; etc.

If this trailer still fit my needs and I knew what I know now, I'd still buy it, but I'd get a better deal or walk... If it fit my needs, I'd keep it because all of the problems are fixed, and it's been in covered storage for it's entire life... still shiny and not fading anywhere. But now I have a passel of grand kids and I need a bigger, bunk-house model... This is a popular floor plan, apparently. I've seen several at state parks and RV parks in my travels. Everyone I've talked to about them seemed satisfied.

Best of luck... and safe travels... Welcome to the FR forums!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and you sure will get a lot of good tips about your up coming purchase. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #4

Cool

Thanks,

Not sure we are going with that unit. We have a short list of about 6 units. 4 are Forrest River, Surveyor, Flagstaff Lite, Hemisphere. 1 is a Jayco, 1 is a Keystone.

So still trying to collect information and get on the right unit.

I appreciate the comments.
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #5

We're trading up in March or April next year. Jayco Eagle, Winnebago Ultra Lite, Grand Design Reflection, and Open Range are on our short list, in no particular order. There's a Gulf Breeze model I like, but I have had a hard time finding out much about their construction, so I doubt it'll make it. Unfortunately, I've knocked all the Forest River products off the list at this point. My unhandy best friend has a Keystone, and his problems have pretty much kept that brand off my list. I work on his more than mine... Thankfully he's trading up in a few weeks.

In my comments above... the problems I listed are pretty common to most brands, so don't blow off Surveyor just because the problems outnumber the good stuff.

Just about all the appliances and plumbing are equal. Look for the best construction and attention to detail... I hope you find a good unit that will give you years of good service.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

I cannot comment on the 264, as our is the SP260. We have had a few minor detail problems that our semi local mom and pop dealer fixed over a weekend. No hassle, no headache. We have been happy with our 260. Its our first camper so there was a very steep learning curve. We have not had any show stopper or deal breaker issues that I wasn't able to correct or fix. We have added speakers in the master bedroom and changed the other speakers. Added LED lights to all interior fixtures. Our television rotated clockwise, I wanted it to rotate counter clockwise. Simple problem simple solution. Good luck in your choice.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

We have the Surveyor Select SV 264. Has the rear kitchen and slide but it is not designated RKS. We really like it but apparently 2014 (our year) was the last for the Select model. They do still make the SV 264 in the Cadet and Sport models though. We really like the trailer with no major issues. The one I am going to fix this fall is no siphon hose for the water pump for anti-freeze. Directions say to disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses and let the pump run dry. Would think it would be easier to run anti-freeze through the pump with an extra hose. Other than that as mentioned with other similar units we could use more storage but the kids aren't coming with us as much any longer so can cut back a lot on what we bring.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

what is the actual length from the front of the hitch to the rear bumper?

Thanks
camperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

I believe it's 29' 9".
Old 10-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

Thanks
camperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #11

Looking like my SV-264 will go up for sale in late February, or early March... We're upgrading to a bigger TT with bunks because in 5 years, we've had 6 grandchildren...
Old 11-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

We have owned a 23 SP Surveyor since 2011. We have made a minor changes. Even though it's just the two of us, we frequently wish we has a slide out and the polar pkg. otherwise it's a pretty good TT.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor