Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2024, 10:31 AM   #1

Surveyor legend issues

I have a brand new 2022 Surveyor Legend 276BHLE, only used 5 times. Bought in 2023, a leftover from 2022. First 2 times were great. 3rd trip out the fridge, water heater and USB bank in kitchen all stopped working at the same time in middle of trip. Dealer repaired, said it was a loose wiring connector. 4th time out no problem. Now I'm laying here freezing my ass off in bed on our 5th trip. Not only did the first 3 problems re-emerge, but the furnace won't kick on now.

To say we are disappointed would be an understatement. Was not expecting this level of poor quality. Obviously never buying another Surveyor, and probably never buying another Forest River product.
Wingsgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Appliances and Electronics sub-forum to the Surveyor sub-forum since the OP's post is specific to a Surveyor product.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsgooter View Post
I have a brand new 2022 Surveyor Legend 276BHLE, only used 5 times. Bought in 2023, a leftover from 2022. First 2 times were great. 3rd trip out the fridge, water heater and USB bank in kitchen all stopped working at the same time in middle of trip. Dealer repaired, said it was a loose wiring connector. 4th time out no problem. Now I'm laying here freezing my ass off in bed on our 5th trip. Not only did the first 3 problems re-emerge, but the furnace won't kick on now.

To say we are disappointed would be an understatement. Was not expecting this level of poor quality. Obviously never buying another Surveyor, and probably never buying another Forest River product.
Is this your first RV?
Old 03-31-2024, 02:52 PM   #4

Fuse panel

Quote:

It seems unlikely that all three of these items would be on the same fuse. Have you checked the fuses in the fuse panel?

Are you comfortable working with electrical issues?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 03:11 PM   #5

Check the 12-volt system. Batteries charged? Battery switch in the correct position?

All 12-volt devices are protected in the converter panel by fuses.
All 120-volt devices are protected in the converter panel by circuit breakers.

Circuit breaker for the converter tripped? Turn it OFF and then back ON.

Have you a DVM (digital volt meter) on board and know how to use it? If so, sounds like some basic troubleshooting. Make sure you are on shore power and the voltage is correct from the power post to the converter panel inside the trailer.

I find most RV owners do best when they study the systems and learn how they work, where things are located, what they do, and what is correct. Otherwise, one is at a mobile tech or dealer's mercy. Many RV systems are more complex than found in any residential house.

You should go online, have each item's brand and model, and search for the manual. Print a copy and put it in a 3-ring binder to keep in the trailer at all times.

If this is your first RV, there are lots and lots you must learn about the various systems. As I've often said; "New guarantees new, but not necessarily good".

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Is this your first RV?
It is our first, yes.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
It is our first, yes.
"Covid Campers" have been well documented and newsworthy topic since 2021.
Not just on every RV forum but in the news.
Unfortunately to say but your list of issues are relatively minor, compared to many owners of "Covid Campers".
Old 03-31-2024, 08:10 PM   #8

It's crazy and unfortunate that no fridge, water heater and furnace all at the same time is considered relatively minor. Mind blowing.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
It's crazy and unfortunate that no fridge, water heater and furnace all at the same time is considered relatively minor. Mind blowing.
Things like frame, structural and roof issues are considered as more major.
Fridges, water heaters and furnaces can be easily replaced, if bad.
Remember that Forest River doesn't manufacturer those appliances.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:26 PM   #10

Rvís are very complex toys.

Plus they take a beating on the road. There is a list of to do jobs every year.

You have to be handy! My sonís ham fisted accountant father in law sold his new rv after 6 months. He made purchasing mistakes. He knows I have owned an rv and sailboat for years. My son is a plant engineer and very handy. He talked to neither of us.

Your issues are unknown to me. No information.

But to an observer here an awful lot of issues are minor. Lots of operator errors. Lots of information not clearly obtained at the inspection. Should take 4 hours or more.

We will help you with issues, rather quickly.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Rvís are very complex toys.

Plus they take a beating on the road. There is a list of to do jobs every year.

You have to be handy! My sonís ham fisted accountant father in law sold his new rv after 6 months. He made purchasing mistakes. He knows I have owned an rv and sailboat for years. My son is a plant engineer and very handy. He talked to neither of us.

Your issues are unknown to me. No information.

But to an observer here an awful lot of issues are minor. Lots of operator errors. Lots of information not clearly obtained at the inspection. Should take 4 hours or more.

We will help you with issues, rather quickly.
Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately my issues seem to be related to sloppy wiring installation and poor QC. I expected things to happen but not this many, this fast (5 short weekend trips). I was just venting more than anything really. Fortunately it's still under warranty. Unfortunately I need to tow it 190 miles to the service center that can see me in the time frame I need it back in. The dealer I bought it from is 400 miles away.

Good to know there are people on this forum willing to listen and share their wisdom and knowledge. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:46 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately my issues seem to be related to sloppy wiring installation and poor QC. I expected things to happen but not this many, this fast (5 short weekend trips). I was just venting more than anything really. Fortunately it's still under warranty. Unfortunately I need to tow it 190 miles to the service center that can see me in the time frame I need it back in. The dealer I bought it from is 400 miles away.

Good to know there are people on this forum willing to listen and share their wisdom and knowledge. Thanks again.
You can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:18 AM   #13

Check with the dealer to see if there were any recalls. Our 2022 Surveyor Legend 19BHLE had a recall for the water heater electric circuit. It was not wired correctly. We got the notice for the recall and had it fixed. Yes the Covid trailers are a real thing. Ours had a fresh water tank leaked, which I repaired since I couldn't get to a service center before our trip. The Norcold 12V DC fridge died on the 4th of July. My son and I downloaded the service manual and removed the fridge to find a loose connection on the compressor. It has been running well since we fixed that.

Forrest river has literature and manuals for the trailers and appliances on their web site in the owners section. Download all of the information relevant to your trailer. Invest in a modest tool set with a good Volt-Ohm meter. Have duct tape, electrical tape, maybe some Eternal Bond tape on hand. Many of the small stuff on RV repair can be taken care of quickly. Youtube is a great resource for how to fix many things on these RVs.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:20 AM   #14

Whether we like it or not, quality of the product and the warranty experience of RVs, are not like automobiles.

If someone had that expectation, they may never be happy.

Even if a high quality dealership is nearby, scheduling and parts delays are a real thing.

As hard a pill as it is to swallow, in the long run, I don't think you can be a happy RV owner and not be, or become, a handyman type.

And yes, troubleshooting and fixing loose connections, is a minor thing and a value judgement when under warranty, of whether it is better to just deal with it yourself, or go through the trouble of towing it in and being without for how ever long. Some RV manufacturers are responding to this, by working directly with the end consumers re small parts and repairs.

I'm not making light of legit frustrations and having multiple systems fail, especially after having them addressed, is a legit frustration and criticism but broad brushing an entire brand over one experience, isn't accurate.

We have a 2024 Surveyor 252RBLE and love it.

There was one warranty issue that was dealt with on the first try. It took towing it back in and a month of prime camping season wasted but after that, has been flawless.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #15

Why would you say that?

Quote:
Why would you say that? If power went out at your house, all the lights and outlets and furnace and air conditioner would cease to work--but it's only one fault, just upstream from where things divide. This actually makes it easier to find.

At your house, it could be the main circuit breaker, the wires from the pole, the transformer at the pole, or the circuit breaker at the pole, or maybe the power company has "pulled the meter" because you forgot to pay the bill. All of these are easy to check visually, and it's just one thing to fix.

Same thing with your trailer. The fridge, water heater, and furnace all can run from your 12 volt battery. If you've turned the battery disconnect switch or run the battery down, they will all stop working. But it's just one thing to fix. Don't panic. The world is not coming to an end.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:23 AM   #16

Quote:

Just a quick comment. We took our 2024 Surveyor Legend out for the first time last week. Electric only site. Hot water didn't work. Panic!
I texted this forum and got the problem solved. The hot water heater requires a certain water pressure to produce hot water. We were using the water pump and apparently not generating enough water pressure. When the bathroom faucet strainer was removed and both taps turned on, voila! Hot water.
Personally, I prefer propane/electric hot water system
Poodlecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPcamper View Post
Check with the dealer to see if there were any recalls. Our 2022 Surveyor Legend 19BHLE had a recall for the water heater electric circuit. It was not wired correctly. We got the notice for the recall and had it fixed. Yes the Covid trailers are a real thing. Ours had a fresh water tank leaked, which I repaired since I couldn't get to a service center before our trip. The Norcold 12V DC fridge died on the 4th of July. My son and I downloaded the service manual and removed the fridge to find a loose connection on the compressor. It has been running well since we fixed that.

Forrest river has literature and manuals for the trailers and appliances on their web site in the owners section. Download all of the information relevant to your trailer. Invest in a modest tool set with a good Volt-Ohm meter. Have duct tape, electrical tape, maybe some Eternal Bond tape on hand. Many of the small stuff on RV repair can be taken care of quickly. Youtube is a great resource for how to fix many things on these RVs.
Thank you. Thisnis very helpful and I will ask about any recalls.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:55 PM   #18

Are you in a campsite with electric and water or are you boondocking?

If you're in a campsite, my first action would be to pick up and electric space heater with a thermostat(we have a 'cool to the touch one') in case this problem pops up in the future. We tend to use the space heater rather than the furnace because we're already paying for electricity at the campsite and you can burn through propane pretty quickly using the furnace. We have to use ours on low because it can blow fuses.

Do you have an emergency roadside assistance plan? Sometimes they have a telephone helpline to troubleshoot rv problems.

My first thought would be your battery. The water heater, furnace and refrigerator (if it's a propane/electric one) all require battery power for their electric igniters.
My second thought would be the propane. Does the propane stove light? You need to light it to purge the air from the lines for things to work properly.
Do you have an EMS/surge protector protecting that rig? Sometimes things go wrong with campground posts and that can help you see if something is wrong.

When you store your rig, is it hooked up to electricity? If it is, that will charge the batteries. If not, depending on if you've got solar, you may need to disconnect the battery by removing a negative cable to preserve the power. You also need to maintain those batteries.

I know it's frustrating and we learn something new about our rig every time we camp. They are a lot more complex than a car.
Sorry about your troubles. Let us know what the solution is.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-01-2024, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Are you in a campsite with electric and water or are you boondocking?

If you're in a campsite, my first action would be to pick up and electric space heater with a thermostat(we have a 'cool to the touch one') in case this problem pops up in the future. We tend to use the space heater rather than the furnace because we're already paying for electricity at the campsite and you can burn through propane pretty quickly using the furnace. We have to use ours on low because it can blow fuses.

Do you have an emergency roadside assistance plan? Sometimes they have a telephone helpline to troubleshoot rv problems.

My first thought would be your battery. The water heater, furnace and refrigerator (if it's a propane/electric one) all require battery power for their electric igniters.
My second thought would be the propane. Does the propane stove light? You need to light it to purge the air from the lines for things to work properly.
Do you have an EMS/surge protector protecting that rig? Sometimes things go wrong with campground posts and that can help you see if something is wrong.

When you store your rig, is it hooked up to electricity? If it is, that will charge the batteries. If not, depending on if you've got solar, you may need to disconnect the battery by removing a negative cable to preserve the power. You also need to maintain those batteries.

I know it's frustrating and we learn something new about our rig every time we camp. They are a lot more complex than a car.
Sorry about your troubles. Let us know what the solution is.

Welcome to the forum!
Really appreciate the feedback. I thought about the space heater and will be picking one up. The battery is good, tested perfectly and it's less than 2 years old. I do have solar so it stats charged. The stove, oven and outdoor griddle all work fine with the propane, no issues there. And yes, using a surge protector. I wouldn't go without that.

But the space heater is a great idea. Luckily I have the outside fridge that runs off 110v and has been problem free. And fortunately we mostly camp at sites that have shower stations so we can always shower there. Washing dishes sucks without hot water though.

These are 1st world problems for sure. Just frustrating. Thanks again for the input!
Old 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Really appreciate the feedback. I thought about the space heater and will be picking one up. The battery is good, tested perfectly and it's less than 2 years old. I do have solar so it stats charged. The stove, oven and outdoor griddle all work fine with the propane, no issues there. And yes, using a surge protector. I wouldn't go without that.

But the space heater is a great idea. Luckily I have the outside fridge that runs off 110v and has been problem free. And fortunately we mostly camp at sites that have shower stations so we can always shower there. Washing dishes sucks without hot water though.

These are 1st world problems for sure. Just frustrating. Thanks again for the input!
I'm going to take a stab here and say its something to do with a 12v system. Since you say luckily the 110 works and the propane works. Everything else is probably run off a 12volt system including the fridge. It could very well be a loose connector at the main battery. I'm not knowledgeable about how these units are wired, but I'd start there. I'd probable also start with a mobile rv guy to get you up and running quicker.

I know my fridge, water heater, and heat would not work without it. I would imagine they also used something for the USB bank to convert 12v down to 5 volt because its likely less expensive.

It could also be due to the converter. But I feel like a mobile rv guy would probably have this fixed pretty quickly.

Tags
surveyor