Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #1

surveyor select sv291-current owner comments?

We are close to making this purchase. Are there any current owners out there who have any comments about this unit?
Thanks-
VRMHW-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

I too am looking at this model and am also interested in any feedback reguarding it. We are also looking at the SV294. What were some of the deciding factors for you (OP) in choosing this model?
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Hi
We have 4 yr old and a 6 yr old. They like to sleep in the same bed and the double bunk will allow that. They can use the other double as a play area. When they get a bit older, they will each have a double bed. We also looked at the 294, but worry about the narrow bunks and them falling out. We also considered other brands with similar floor plans, but like the look and feel of the select. How about you? Also, the plus of these models riding low is nice, but we worry about dragging. What are your thoughts about that and about the option of axle risers? What made you look at this brand/model?
Thanks-
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

I started looking at the Rockwood 2702SS which has a very similar floorplan. I liked the outside door to the bathroom as well as the bunks in the rear. I also was looking for a U shaped dinnette. I too was a little concerned with it riding a little low, so I looked at a LaCrosse 292BHS which also has a similar floor plan. The LaCrosse is about 2 foot higher (But also has a dry weight of about 1800 lbs more than the SV-291), it also was a little higher in price. I decided that it was too tall and was afraid of side wind and overall decrease in fuel mileage due to more wind drag. So back to the Rockwood. Then a friend bought a Surveyor and I liked it. He has no problem with it dragging. So I'm now looking at the SV291. My wife liked the 294 due to the back "playroom"/bunks for the kids, but I have the same concern as you with the 294.

The main difference with the Rockwood and the Surveyor is that the bunk beds in the Rockwood only has one double bed with a single on top. What brought me to the Surveyor is the two oversized double beds. The Rockwood has a few extra features (a little more storage, carpet in the master, skylites, outside BBQ grill, Bluetooth radio to pair with phone, the back on the U shape Dinnette goes all the way around - Notice on the Surveyor that the back doesn't cover one side so someone will have to sit there with no back). They are both at the same price point, so I think I'm going to use the Rockwood's extra features to drive down the price a little on the Surveyor because I do prefer the two oversized double beds.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

Just put a down payment on a 2013 291. It wont be in until june sometime-it isnt born yet. It looks like the rockwood is a nice unit as well-either one will be a good choice. Happy shopping and good luck!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

I bet you can't wait. I think we are going with the sv291 also. Now if I can just get the dealer to throw in the weight distribution hitch, I'll be out camping.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

We were able to get the load leveler and some other stuff as well. I am sure it worked out for the dealer too. We are in the southeast and couldn't find any 2013 sv291 on a lot. But, by ordering we got exactly what we want. Already shopping for stuff to put in it! Hope you find what you want at a fair price.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

I have an SV291, and love it !!! I initially had a leak problem thorugh the slideout but the facory fixed that for me

I believe the new SV291 does not have the brakfast bar anymore but a U dinette, right ? You will love this trailer !
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #9

Yes-it has a u-shaped dinette. I am glad to hear how much you love your camper. We are so excited about getting it soon and beginning our camping trips. Have a great summer.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #10

We have 2 kids aged 7 and 8, so we looked at both the 291 and the 294 models. We ended up buying the 294 because we figured that it won't be long until the kids each want to be able to bring a friend on our camping trips. The quad bunks make it easy to acommodate 4 kids, and they can close the sliding door at the back for privacy (or quieter for the parents at least). The other benefit was that we could invite grandparents along and they could use the queen bed and we could 'bunk up' with the kids in the back.

For us it all came down to flexibility and getting more years out of the trailer. Which ever unit you buy, I hope you get lots of use and enjoyment out of it!
2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #11

make sure you buy the 2nd year warranty. We bought a 2012 SV 235RKS, front double bunks. Had many problems, They say now I need a new roof because it is delaminating. Forest river wants my dealer to peel back the rubber roof to inspect. not what I expected in a 3 month old trailer. Very dissapointed.
hiflyer901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
I would rather be camping

I have a 2011 SV291 for almost 2 years now..No problems worth mentioning. I would recommend this unit to anyone .
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #13

I wish we were so lucky
hiflyer901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Well, after much research, looking at campers, negotiating, and with much help from many of the members here on this forum (A BIG thank you!), my SV-291 is home in my driveway. Now to get is loaded and get out camping.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #15

Cdbus-congrats on your new camper. We are still waiting on ours. We hope it will come in shortly. After you have camped in it, post something and let me know how it is going. Have fun!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #16

Congratulations !!!

We would love to see the pictures of the new 291 for sure !

One word of caution, the brakes for the rear wheels were not properly adjusted in mine and I adjusted them myself. It is something you should always keep an eye anyways. You want all four brakes working, not just the two front ones, so it is worth making sure that they are all adjusted. Your dealer should have done that but, mine hadn't, so I thought I would mention it.

Many happy camping days in your brand new trailer ! When it is time to install an LCD tv (If not already installed) you can ask me how I pulled that off .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
Well, after much research, looking at campers, negotiating, and with much help from many of the members here on this forum (A BIG thank you!), my SV-291 is home in my driveway. Now to get is loaded and get out camping.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #17

sv-294

Hi,
We ended up going with the SV-294 select in March of this year. No Regrets. We have 4 children from 7-2 so the 4 bunks were a must. After speaking with other owners it was better to go with that then setting up and breaking down beds every night. We have been on a few trips with it and love the layout and features. Hope this helps.
Have Fun!
Marsarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #18

Just curious-where do you put a trash can in the sv-291? We are still waiting for ours, but are getting supplies together. I can't think of a good location for a trash can. Is there a good place and if not, what solution have you come up with?
Thanks-
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
I would rather be camping

Sometimes I keep the can here and when I'm cooking it's here under the stove!!
I keep the towel on the back of the seat cause anyone getting in the refrigerator puts their hand there...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #20

I just hang a small plastic bag by the door handle of the oven .... half full and it gets removed. I do not like loosing space on the floor