Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Surveyor SP220 - New Purchase

New Member here - Anyone have any experiences using the dinette/couch in the Surveyor SP220 as a bed? We're possibly buying one on Saturday and figure we'll occasionally have guests and want to know if the dinette works 'good enough' as a bed or is it unusable?

That being said, anyone have any suggestions on what to check or watch for when we're looking at it one last time before we pull the trigger for good?

Thanks for any help.
papesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by papesd View Post
New Member here - Anyone have any experiences using the dinette/couch in the Surveyor SP220 as a bed? We're possibly buying one on Saturday and figure we'll occasionally have guests and want to know if the dinette works 'good enough' as a bed or is it unusable?

That being said, anyone have any suggestions on what to check or watch for when we're looking at it one last time before we pull the trigger for good?

Thanks for any help.
There are several of us on here who recently got new SP 220's, and I'm sure the others will chime in. We love ours but since it's always just the two of us, we have never tried the dinette as a bed.

One thing I would suggest during the walk-through is to have them show you exactly how to access the hot water tank bypass system and the hose for the winterizing system, which are in two different places. One in the bathroom and the other under the dinette. We were used to having both in the same place. The manual override for the slideout is also hard to find, so get them to show you that, too. It requires taking off a panel at the front of the dinette.

Another thing we didn't realize until the walk-through was that when the slideout is closed, you cannot get into the bathroom. This is important to some of us who like access to the facilities while on the road. We've found that if you deploy the slideout halfway (about a foot) you can squeeze through the bathroom door. Just be sure you're parked in a place where no one will come along and hit it.

The others will probably come along with more suggestions. I think you'll really love this camper, as we do. We have more storage space than we can use, and we really like the Jensen TV and stereo. We've had only a few minor issues with ours that were easily fixed.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice - we'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

We didn't actually sleep on the 'bed' but laid on it just to check the size. We fit fine, but it would not be good for large people. Probably great for kids. I would not make anyone sleep on it without throwing an air mattress on it first.

We love our 220, it's perfect for a couple. We just removed the bathroom door and have an accordian door from the bed area on order to put in its place.

Good luck!

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

We love our 220 as well. Can't help you with the dinette question as it is just the wife and I. You might want to take a look in the surveyor section for a tread of issues some have had. It might be things to check. We have had no real issues. Worst problem has been a leaky kitchen sink faucet. If you have any questions there are several of us 220 owners on the boards.

Happy camping!
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

hidee ho

Hi and welcome from northern Arizona!
We all seem to love our 220's and most of us have had only minor issues. The only major issue I had was to replace the bathroom door with a folding one to access the bathroom quickly on the road due to a medical issue. That was a lot of work and probably not an issue for most folks. As mentioned above, the surveyor forum has lots of good mods and fixes for our units from other members.
Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062013coloradovac 216a2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	39653  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

Well, we bought the 220 and are taking delivery next week. Though our tow vehicle just got rearended. Insurance company is going to provide a rental tow vehicle all hooked up and ready to tow an rv in the meantime. I appreciate the checklist and info you've all provided and I'll put it to good use on the walk through.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #8

Well, we bought the 220 and are taking delivery next week. Though our tow vehicle just got rearended. Insurance company is going to provide a rental tow vehicle all hooked up and ready to tow an rv in the meantime. I appreciate the checklist and info you've all provided and I'll put it to good use on the walk through.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

You will love the SP220 ... We've had ours out for 5 trips with a total of about 1500 miles ... Through heavy wind and rain up the Columbia Gorge to snow and hail in central Oregon...have had no problems or leaks at all...there's usually just the two of us, but once we had the grand kiddo and she slept well in a sleeping bag on the couch bed...we've done several mods so far and have a few more lined up...enjoy your new TT...
Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
and the hose for the winterizing system, which are in two different places. One in the bathroom and the other under the dinette. We were used to having both in the same place. The manual override for the slideout is also hard to find, so get them to show you that, too. It requires taking off a panel at the front of the dinette.
I'd Sure like a pic of the way to get to the winterizing hose and the manual override for the slide...I couldn't find ant way to get in there...Like what do I need to remove to access the goods...
Thanks Steve
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #11

I've had mine for a over a year and still don't know where those two things are.
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #12

We got our 2013 Sport 220 this season and have had it out a number of times. The dinette bed is what's known as a 2 day bed - okay for 2 days, but I wouldn't want to sleep on it any longer than that. It's also a little funny since the cushions don't completely cover the table when it is down.
kansas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post

One thing I would suggest during the walk-through is to have them show you exactly how to access the hot water tank bypass system and the hose for the winterizing system, which are in two different places. One in the bathroom and the other under the dinette. We were used to having both in the same place. The manual override for the slideout is also hard to find, so get them to show you that, too. It requires taking off a panel at the front of the dinette.
Morning mjones:
Just wondering if your water pump is under the dinette along with the winterizing hose or is the pump tucked in there next to the water heater like ours...I cannot find a winterizing hose on ours...so i purchased a snap-in fitting with a hose for the water pump so i can draw in the RV antifreeze with the pump...
I've heard say that they built these 220's with the water pump in two different places depending on what time of the year they were built...
I like mine being in near the water heater because all you have to do is open the drawer under the wardrobe to access the pump...and it's quieter back there in the bathroom...
Thanks
Steve
Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #14

My water pump is under the couch (behind the shower wall). I am pretty sure my winterizing hose is under the bathroom closet next to the hot water heater.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsberr View Post
Morning mjones:
Just wondering if your water pump is under the dinette along with the winterizing hose or is the pump tucked in there next to the water heater like ours...I cannot find a winterizing hose on ours...so i purchased a snap-in fitting with a hose for the water pump so i can draw in the RV antifreeze with the pump...
I've heard say that they built these 220's with the water pump in two different places depending on what time of the year they were built...
I like mine being in near the water heater because all you have to do is open the drawer under the wardrobe to access the pump...and it's quieter back there in the bathroom...
Thanks
Steve
Steve: My water pump and the winterizing hose are located under the couch. I haven't opened it up yet but did get a demo during the walk-through. I would prefer it to be back in the bathroom, as well.

Tim: I'm not positive of this, but I think the hose is always going to be near the pump. I could be wrong and hope someone will correct me if so.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #16

Thank you for the replies everyone, much appreciated! We got it, took it out this past weekend and had a great time. My brother brought his Rockwood Rood and helped us go through the setup when we got there and shutdown when we left. I was good to have someone along who knew what to do.

One question. Can you shut down battery power by any other means than disconnecting the battery? My brother's unit has a plunger you push in and pull out to cut battery power. The Surveyor SP220 doesn't seem to have anything to cut battery power. I see that the Jensen stereo clock keeps running and I'm thinking this going to run the battery down. Is there a switch, and if so where is it? Or what do you guys do? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by papesd View Post
Thank you for the replies everyone, much appreciated! We got it, took it out this past weekend and had a great time. My brother brought his Rockwood Rood and helped us go through the setup when we got there and shutdown when we left. I was good to have someone along who knew what to do.

One question. Can you shut down battery power by any other means than disconnecting the battery? My brother's unit has a plunger you push in and pull out to cut battery power. The Surveyor SP220 doesn't seem to have anything to cut battery power. I see that the Jensen stereo clock keeps running and I'm thinking this going to run the battery down. Is there a switch, and if so where is it? Or what do you guys do? Thanks!
I added the battery cutoff switch, which is much easier than having to unhook a battery cable every time. Those are the only two solutions I know of on the 220. On a separate issue, you may want to check the plastic battery box after it rains. Mine nearly filled up with water, and I had to drill holes in the bottom to correct it. I thought the cover would prevent most water from getting in, but I was wrong.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #18

X2 on not having a switch. It will run the battery down. You have other loads than the stereo (propane detectors, etc.). We store ours in public storage so we remove the battery and lock it up anyway. If you do a search I am sure you can find a mod someone has done. Adding a switch is easy.

X2 on the battery case filling with water. I didn't even catch it until Mjones told me about it. Save yourself some headache and drill a few holes in the bottom!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #19

done & done! Battery kill switch installed and drilled holes. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #20

We have the SP240 which I think has the same dinette. We purchased a queen size foam topper for that bed and cut it down to fit. We put it down and it worked great. My Brother n law at 250 lbs and his wife sleep on it for three nights and said it worked great. Grand kids use it and they have never complained. The topper goes in an old compression sleeping bag bag and stores on the bathroom above the outside kitchen. We keep it and a set of sheets for the bed in a zip lock bag so they are fresh and ready when we need them. We tried the bed one night and it wasn't bad at all. Good luck.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor