Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Surveyors Quality vs others

HI,

My family and I are looking at purchasing a sv305 select. The only thing that is slowing us down with the purchase is not knowing if there is a better built trailer out there. Wood framing, Aluminum framing, framed in windows or not Pinched rolled bonding vs vacuum bonding. All of these things are driving us nuts, we want to get the absolute best for our money and so far the Forest River Surveyor seams to be the best for the money but we have only herd from dealers rather than actual owners. Can someone please let us know how you feel about the surveyor line of TTs. I think Komfort is over rated especially now that Dutchman bought them out and I can go on. If anyone has any info, please feel free to post a response.

Thanks
Edward Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

personally I would go with a 6 sided aluminum construction . light weight yet very durable! IMO
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
DnJ

Edward,

We own a Surveyor SP 240, and are very pleased with it. It is the tenth RV we have owned since 1978. Others included Aljos, Coachmen, various Fleetwood and Skyline brands, and a Jayco. As to quality of workmanship, the Surveyor and the Aljo were the best of all we have experienced. In the Surveyor, everything fits and works properly. The Jayco was the poorest quality of workmanship, ie cupboard doors didn't close, valance boxes were crooked or off center, etc. However, of all of the RVs we have owned, we never had a problem with the electrical or LP systems. We would rate the Surveyor as one of the best RVs we have owned.
DnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We used to have a Grand Surveyor and it was nice. We thought the quality was good and had no problems at all with it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #5

We purchased a SP-260 new last spring and have had zero problems with it. Everything works and works well. Like you, we did A LOT or research before we purchased because we wanted the best TT for our money. We kept coming back to the Surveyor time and time again so that is what we bought. We haven't regretted our purchase at all.
2004 F-150 4x4 Super Crew
Equalizer WDH
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I was just thinking during a trip last week how we like our Surveyor. It tows sweet, and everything works during our trips. Oh, there have been some minor leaks and stuff that have to be dealt with, but overall we have had pleasant camping experiences.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Happy with our SV235RKS. Tows REALLY nice. Everything works. No quality complaints.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

Thumbs up Surveyor quality

We own a 2012 SP 240 10th Anniversary Edition and love it. For a couple, it's a great TT for the money and we have had no problems thus far. The outside kitchen sold us. (We live in Florida and don't need the extra heat in the cabin) Tons of storage, as well. Tows without a problem behind our SUV with a Blue Ox weight distributing hitch and a Prodigy P3 controller.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #9

We purchased our Surveyor SV-305 in Sept and it is still at the dealership until we pick it up in April. We did 6 months of research and kept coming back to the Surveyor line and the 305. I never really heard anything bad about Surveyor which in my opinion says alot of good about the company. You usually only hear the bad stuff on the internet. This was a major purchase for us and I am confident that the wife and I will be very happy with this trailer. I also have alot of confidence in my dealership and Forest River. There is alot of evidence on here that Forest River is stepping up to the plate and helping customers out that have problems that the dealerships can't fix. We haven't used our trailer yet and I am expecting the usual minor things, but I believe that my dealership will have most of the bugs worked out before I pick it up.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
We purchased our Surveyor SV-305 in Sept and it is still at the dealership until we pick it up in April. We did 6 months of research and kept coming back to the Surveyor line and the 305. I never really heard anything bad about Surveyor which in my opinion says alot of good about the company. You usually only hear the bad stuff on the internet. This was a major purchase for us and I am confident that the wife and I will be very happy with this trailer. I also have alot of confidence in my dealership and Forest River. There is alot of evidence on here that Forest River is stepping up to the plate and helping customers out that have problems that the dealerships can't fix. We haven't used our trailer yet and I am expecting the usual minor things, but I believe that my dealership will have most of the bugs worked out before I pick it up.
Where did you buy from?

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #11

We bought from Minards in Weyburn, as well as my brother in law, sister in law, and my neighbor just bought from them in the last couple of weeks at the show in Regina.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
We bought from Minards in Weyburn, as well as my brother in law, sister in law, and my neighbor just bought from them in the last couple of weeks at the show in Regina.
I am sure you are in good hands as they have treated us like royality and everyone still remembers us by name when we drop in for a visit and that is 2 years after the sale.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I am sure you are in good hands as they have treated us like royality and everyone still remembers us by name when we drop in for a visit and that is 2 years after the sale.

They have a good reputation but it is always reassuring to hear positive feedback from other customers as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Retired

Sv-305

We bought our 305 two months ago. We have had it out twice. Tow's great, no problems with any area of the trailer. The problems have all been my newbie status. I would support anyone’s purchase of this trailer. The dealer has been a joy to do business with his is a family business since the 60's. It is my opinion that you should worry more about the dealer than the surveyor. I also bought the extended warranty from Forest River you should consider that as well.
Happy travels, and enjoy.
Sunwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #15

We have a 2007 SV-291. other than some minor issues, it's been great. It tows like a dream and has lots of room.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #16

The response has been very Helpful, I have looked and studied these TT for a long time and being the obsessive male that I am, I can honestly say that I believe that there is only one TT on the market that is built better than the Surveyor and that is the Evergreen Everlite which is considerably more money. The Surveyor SV305 has the interior configuration that no other manufacture can compete with a build quality that rivals the Evergreen. I am very pleased to hear from you all, your stories of satisfied travels and positive customer feedback makes my decision of purchasing the Surveyor sv305 a very easy one. Thanks you everyone for taking the time to chime in on this post..Ed
Edward Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #17

We bought our sp295 last may and have used it throughout last years camping season. We only had one problem with a hinge on our outside kitchen door and they replaced the whole door,hinge,and frame this winter. Looks good as new and am looking forward to camping the heck out of it this year! We love our tt and have no reservations about recommending the Surveyor or Olathe RV Ford if you are in the Kansas City area.

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #18

Any opinions on Surveyor SP240 vs. Flagstaff Micro Lite 25SKS? We've been leaning toward the Micro Lite because of the ability to have a sofa/murphy bed combo, but the surveyor looks awfully nice.
pinewoodswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #19

We were looking at a Surveyor from Minards but ended up going with the PT Lacrosse 318BHS from Village RV in Regina. Both are good trailers and dealerships.
Drakconian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #20

I have a sv230 24' trailer 2010. I love everything about it. I looked for 2 years and found the forest river to be the best quility for the price. Tows great behind my tacoma at 3200 pds. august
august is offline   Reply With Quote