Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

SV235RKS Antenna Power Switch Location

OK, so we have only had the trailer out for one trip and I have already put some black marks on the ceiling molding from moving the TV in and out to turn on the power amp. It is just too tight to move around in that corner opening. I think I am going to add an additional 12V power switch below or outside the cabinet to turn the power on. Has anyone else done this?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

Ours is a 2013 and similarly tight although my concern is more with the shelf trim than the ceiling. Seems to be handling the abuse so far. We travel with the TV down so the power button is turned on before the TV goes up and off when its brought down.

That said on our last trip we discovered the joy of using the outside TV mount so I think we'll be transitioning more often now.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
Ours is a 2013 and similarly tight although my concern is more with the shelf trim than the ceiling. Seems to be handling the abuse so far. We travel with the TV down so the power button is turned on before the TV goes up and off when its brought down.

That said on our last trip we discovered the joy of using the outside TV mount so I think we'll be transitioning more often now.
Yes, I noticed the trim also. I am not sure why they made it so tight. I have the base strapped down so the front edges are up against the cabinet. I think the switch underneath is my best bet at this point.

Since you have the same trailer, can I ask you to post a picture of the power connection for your rear slide light in my other thread? I have to get that sorted out soon.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #4

If you are on shore power you can leave that antenna power switch on all the time. If you are boon-docking then yes, you should turn it off when not in use to conserve power. Every little bit adds up.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

UPDATE: My chosen fix for this was to lower the shelf that the TV sits on about one inch. The shelf is made of multiple pieces of wood. I took off the bottom cover and trim. Then I removed the screws that hold the shelf in place. I left the staples to help hold the shelf as I repositioned and leveled it. Then just screw the supports in the new location (still covering the previous holes) and put the trim back on with a pin nailer.

Prior damage that caused me to do this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV shelf edge trim damage.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	75863

Name:	ceiling damage from moving TV prior to lowering shel.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	75864

I got an inch of clearance on top of the TV now. Now, I have to try to get rid of the black marks from moving it in and out when it was that tight.

After

Name:	new TV clearance.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	75865

Tags
antenna, cat, location, power