Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #1

thermostat prob.

Sometimes my thermostat does not turn on the heater. I have to move it back and forth to turn it on. Who has an updated/higher quality thermostat you can recommend. Also rv battery seems to run down faster lately. Fridge frost setting? Will the standard fridge run off of battery if needed? Thanks
rmm2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2435 View Post
Sometimes my thermostat does not turn on the heater. I have to move it back and forth to turn it on. Who has an updated/higher quality thermostat you can recommend. Also rv battery seems to run down faster lately. Fridge frost setting? Will the standard fridge run off of battery if needed? Thanks
You don't say but I'll give it a WAG and assume you have a Coleman-Mach, analogue thermostat. If so, my pref would be to recycle it (had the same issue) and replace with a digital home thermostat. Good post here on how to accomplish that:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...grade-711.html

Re the fridge and again, you don't provide a whole lot of tech detail, the reefer (fridge) should run on 12V and gas (propane) and is not necessarily the culprit in your rapidly diminishing battery capacity. How old is the battery? Maybe it's seen better days?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #3

ON your refer. It will depend on the unit, Before they use to make a 3 way power supply, Gas, electrical 110V or 12 volt. you had a selector switch built in. Most new units now only come with 2 power sources, 110 volt or propane. The 12 volt now only operates the light inside when you open the door. I would doubt that if yours is only a 2 way system it's not the refer that is causing your battery problem. This is my understanding. Not to many manufacturers are offering the 3 way system anymore. Is your unit 2 way or 3 way? I could be wrong but this is my understanding. Most new FR products now only offer the 2 way system. depending on the age of the TT you could have a 3 way system. and then yes on 12 volt it could run down your battery's pretty quickly. Hope this helps and safe travels to you...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Team

assuming you have a Surveyor TT, since you don't post which model you have, you CAN'T run the fridge on 12vDC.
your fridge runs on either propane or shore power. the propane side will use 12v battery power to light it and to power the electronics. but it doesn't use 12v to cool it. you would need a 3-way fridge for that and they are only in popups and truck campers and other very small trailers.
the 110vAC side will only work when you have hookups.

as to the thermostat, simply Google "Hunter thermostat install".
this is a common mod that tons of RV owners do. simply by a battery powered digital thermostat and install it. the Hunter and Honeywell ones are the most popular.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

Thanks everyone problems solved!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2435 View Post
Thanks everyone problems solved!
Well what was the problem you found? Maybe it can help someone else. Glad you got it solved........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Denver, CO

yeah fess up, what was it...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

The defrost setting was draining the battery really quickly. Also original thermostat was crap. Replaced with a cheap ace hardware model. It does not have an off setting so when not in use I have to insulate the circuit with a piece of cardboard. Thanks again all
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Defrost setting? I don't have one of those. hmmmm