Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Tire Clearance issue 2020 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS

We purchased this trailer new in January. I have had mixed feelings about some of it. But overall happy and the "War Department" loves it.

We have taken 3 short trips since then to break it in. No real issues. And towing with our new RAM is great. Of course the virus situation had prevented any longer adventures. May be a good thing in retrospect.

Every time I looked at trailer from the side, something just was not right to my eye.

Then I got under it. OUCH!

The clearance between top of the tires and the trailer is approximately 2 3/4 inches on 3 wheels and just over 3 inches on 1 wheel.

There is definitely evidence of tire rubbing. During bumps and suspension travel I assume.

See pictures.

I am talking to Forest River and have forwarded them the pictures.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_151744.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	229540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_151718.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	229541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_151125.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	229542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_151136.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	229543  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #2

Are the tires that are currently on the TT the factory originals? Have you made any changes to the TT since you bought it? What is you current driving weight? Just some questions that we need to know the answers to before we can comment.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
Are the tires that are currently on the TT the factory originals? Have you made any changes to the TT since you bought it? What is you current driving weight? Just some questions that we need to know the answers to before we can comment.

Tires and wheels are stock. No major changes that would increase the weight. I weighed it at a Cat Scale recently after a short trip. Don't have that number in front of me. Will post in a bit, but was not even close to gross weight.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

Note:
The pictures and measurements noted in my original post were taken with the trailer in driveway not even close to being ready for camping. Basically empty.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #5

Trailer at cat scale outfitted for camping weighed 6440 lbs.

No water of any kind. I never tow with water.

Dry weight according to Forrest River is 6100 lbs.

So not very heavy.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #6

What size tire is listed on the “GVW” sticker on the left front of the trailer? I notice in one of the photos you have a 225 tire. I previously had a 5th that the dealer had “swapped” tires and installed ones with too large a diameter And they rubbed under certain conditions. Proper ones were installed and problem solved. Never learned why they changed the tires the first time.

Also, I have a 2018 Surveyor (different model from you) that has tires that rubbed on the inside of the right side but not the left. The inside of the fender well is 1/2” closer to the tires on the right side. The body is built differently from right to left in the wheel well area. I added a 3/16” spacer behind the right tires and assured proper thread engagement.

Can you do some driveway axle jacking to determine the amount of possible interference? Is your dealer assisting in any meaningful way? Is it only the front or rear, or both that rub?
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
What size tire is listed on the “GVW” sticker on the left front of the trailer? I notice in one of the photos you have a 225 tire. I previously had a 5th that the dealer had “swapped” tires and installed ones with too large a diameter And they rubbed under certain conditions. Proper ones were installed and problem solved. Never learned why they changed the tires the first time.

Also, I have a 2018 Surveyor (different model from you) that has tires that rubbed on the inside of the right side but not the left. The inside of the fender well is 1/2” closer to the tires on the right side. The body is built differently from right to left in the wheel well area. I added a 3/16” spacer behind the right tires and assured proper thread engagement.

Can you do some driveway axle jacking to determine the amount of possible interference? Is your dealer assisting in any meaningful way? Is it only the front or rear, or both that rub?

Thanks for the reply.
The tires are original and match what is on the sticker. I also confirmed the tire/wheel size with Forest River.
225/75/15D.

Just to reiterate the problem is not clearance with the plastic (for show only) fenders. The clearance issue is with to TOP of the tire and the trailer directly above the tire. In all four tires.

AS the pictures indicate, I have about 2 3/4 inches of clearance on 3 tires and over 3 on one.

So the amount of suspension travel on 3 of my tires is limited to 2 3/45 inches. Not enough for one decent bump on the road.

And no I have not gone to the dealer. I prefer to save my time. My experience on other minor issues with dealer has been 50/50. I will if need be.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #8

I'm not seeing any indication of the tire rubbing the top. Maybe I'm missing it.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I'm not seeing any indication of the tire rubbing the top. Maybe I'm missing it.

With only 2 3/4 inches of clearance between top of tire and bottom of trailer I am assuming there has to be rubbing. Suspension travel over rough roads has to be over 2 3/4 inches.

But look at the last picture. Above the tire on the left side. See the difference from the right side.
The left side is shiny and not covered with dust, dirt or sand. Directly above the tire. On the right side is a consistent covering of dust, dirt and sand. All 4 tires show the same thing.

Also keep in mind this trailer has less than 500 miles on it .
Old 05-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Just to reiterate the problem is not clearance with the plastic (for show only) fenders. The clearance issue is with to TOP of the tire and the trailer directly above the tire. In all four tires.
And no I have not gone to the dealer. I prefer to save my time. My experience on other minor issues with dealer has been 50/50. I will if need beThanks again.
I understood the top of the tire issue. I clearly saw the indications on the bottom of the top of the wheelwel. I was just trying to relay my problem, which was inconsistent woodwork. My space between the trailer frame and inside of tire is uniform. I also understand trying to stay away from the dealer. That is why I added a spacer which will not help you.

I asked about the axle travel, but, did not indicate the need to remove the wheels and perform a few articulations of the axle/spring/equalizer. I was interested in knowing if you had (for instance) 5” of travel with only 3” of space or 3-1/2” of travel before the axle/spring Stopped. The reason is I changed the equalizers to the yellow ones with rubber in them. They added approx an inch of height. Gave me more ground clearance (and a taller trailer ). The 1” may solve your situation.

Did FR have anything of interest to say?
I agree the rubbing is a problem and glad you found it early. I considered wheelwell surgery which could have been done in my driveway, but, very invasive.

Not sure where in SC you live, and FR has the selling dealer clause on warranty, but, I had good experiences with Howard RV in Wilmington, NC. Their General Manager Bill Merrilees has been super with purchase and followup service. I did buy my Surveyor there. I live in Virginia Beach. I did just look at their website. They indicate a model similar to yours in stock. It would make a good full size model for comparison.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
I understood the top of the tire issue. I clearly saw the indications on the bottom of the top of the wheelwel. I was just trying to relay my problem, which was inconsistent woodwork. My space between the trailer frame and inside of tire is uniform. I also understand trying to stay away from the dealer. That is why I added a spacer which will not help you.

I asked about the axle travel, but, did not indicate the need to remove the wheels and perform a few articulations of the axle/spring/equalizer. I was interested in knowing if you had (for instance) 5” of travel with only 3” of space or 3-1/2” of travel before the axle/spring Stopped. The reason is I changed the equalizers to the yellow ones with rubber in them. They added approx an inch of height. Gave me more ground clearance (and a taller trailer ). The 1” may solve your situation.

Did FR have anything of interest to say?
I agree the rubbing is a problem and glad you found it early. I considered wheelwell surgery which could have been done in my driveway, but, very invasive.

Not sure where in SC you live, and FR has the selling dealer clause on warranty, but, I had good experiences with Howard RV in Wilmington, NC. Their General Manager Bill Merrilees has been super with purchase and followup service. I did buy my Surveyor there. I live in Virginia Beach. I did just look at their website. They indicate a model similar to yours in stock. It would make a good full size model for comparison.

Thanks for the reply and info. Getting late here.

I am still waiting on the "engineer" to get back to customer service. I sent them the pictures. As of yesterday afternoon, no response yet.

I will rattle their cage Monday. We have a 3 day camping trip coming up and if I don't hear from them, I will tell them I am leaving on trip and have my lawyer on speed dial.

I will stick with our dealer for the moment. Will call them Monday also.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #12

Mention of your speed dial reference will result in NO more constructive communication from FR.
I don’t believe you will experience a problem with your current setup. Reasoning: My 2013 Flagstaff 832IKBS had no room for my hand between the tire and undercarriage and suffered rub damage. It was built during a design change that swapped 14” tires/wheels for 15”. The frame was designed for 14”, it came to me with 15”. At Goshen in August 2013 FR installed 2 3/8” spacers between the axles and the frame and repaired the damage. I towed that TT 60,000 miles, including a 17,000 mile trip to Alaska, with no more rub marks. YMMV
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Mention of your speed dial reference will result in NO more constructive communication from FR.
I don’t believe you will experience a problem with your current setup. Reasoning: My 2013 Flagstaff 832IKBS had no room for my hand between the tire and undercarriage and suffered rub damage. It was built during a design change that swapped 14” tires/wheels for 15”. The frame was designed for 14”, it came to me with 15”. At Goshen in August 2013 FR installed 2 3/8” spacers between the axles and the frame and repaired the damage. I towed that TT 60,000 miles, including a 17,000 mile trip to Alaska, with no more rub marks. YMMV
Travel safe
My speed dial comment was more tongue in cheek at this point. Notice the smiley face.

Not sure why you said " I don’t believe you will experience a problem with your current setup."

I am experiencing a problem with my current setup. I can see where some spacers may help. But there has to be a limit as to how high you can go with a trailer without making it top heavy.

We shall see.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #14

Ok proof of tire rubbing.

I placed strips of masking tape above all four tires.

Went on a short trip on SC roads to a campground.

The right front tire rubbed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200607_155308.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	231075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200607_155318.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	231076  
Old 07-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer is at the Dealer.
Forest River and the Dealer are cussing and discussing.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #16

Update:

Dealer thinks the springs are bad.

According to Forrest River and Dealer. Clearance should be 4 inches. Our trailer has 3 that are 2 3/4 inches and one that is almost 3 inches.

Now waiting on springs. Maybe. They need concurrence from Lippert.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #17

Update:

Still waiting on response from Lippert!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

Any updates?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Any updates?
Thanks for asking.

Forrest River has agreed to replace all four springs. They were supposed to have shipped last week. Still Missing. Ughhhh

So in other words still waiting.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #20

Lippert makes a 2 inch lift kit if the new springs don't work.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor, tire