Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
Wait til you start cracking sockets with little force!
Well, a cheap compass is better than no compass when you are lost (if you know how to use it).
A fairly complete multiple tool kit in a fair carry case that will be left in the truck or trailer for mobile only use does not warrant SnapOn or Craftsman pricing.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping caveman View Post
New 287bhss owner and am looking to put together a "camper toolbox". Anything I should make sure is included? All input is appreciated 🤙

Congratulations! You’ve received many excellent suggestions. If others have not mentioned or inferred. Above and beyond the obligatory channel lock pliers, may I suggest a sturdy pair of vise grips?
Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #23

Tools are important but also some "spares".

Only so much can be fixed with just duct tape alone.

A 5' length of PEX (1/2") fits in easy. Some electrical wire, stranded for 12V and a piece of romex in #12 and #10 (5-10 ft leftovers are good).

A wire connector kit and crimping pliers as well as a few wire nuts.

Sometimes one might need to make emergency repairs and they don't always need to be pretty. Just safe. Make them pretty when you get back home.

Also necessary, a Hacksaw as well as a claw hammer and some nails of varying sizes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #24

the list could go on forever depending on your skill level storage space and payload max
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #25
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
My hubby says what we have in our tool kits is never enough! We have extra propane gas regulator with yellow tape, extra water pump, fuses, awning repair tape. That stuff always sfails when your are far from anyplace that woud have a replacement. WE KNOW!!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #26

Lol.... So true!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips52 View Post
A credit card with a high limit!
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #27

You might want to throw some Eternabond emergency roof repair tape in that kit.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
Before you purchase a lug wrench, make sure that it will work with your wheels. My TT wheels are shaped so that I have not found a regular lug wrench that will fit into the area where the lug nuts seat. I have to use a deep socket and 25" breaker bar to get the lugs off. My truck also needs deep well sockets to get the lugs off. The bar that came with the truck is about 15" long and the lug nuts are torqued to 150 ft/lb so the 251" bar gives me enough power to break the lugs free. A torque wrench is also a requirement for me.
Excellent advice. I also recommend making sure you have a wrench that will fit the nuts used to hold the spare to its mount; they tend to be larger than the standard lug nuts. It's also a good idea to make sure they can be broken loose, mine were crazy tight from the factory and I needed my biggest impact wrench to loosen them up. Not a good thing if on the road.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #29

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Excellent advice. I also recommend making sure you have a wrench that will fit the nuts used to hold the spare to its mount; they tend to be larger than the standard lug nuts. It's also a good idea to make sure they can be broken loose, mine were crazy tight from the factory and I needed my biggest impact wrench to loosen them up. Not a good thing if on the road.
I just bought a lug wrench because it has a 1/2" square drive on one of the legs that allows me to use a deep socket that fits in the wheel and also goes deeper onto the lug nuts.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The center hub allows the user to adjust arm lengths for max torque on lug nut or get a better angle. Moving the arm so the socket is farther away from the end you pull on gives more torque.
Center hub also allows, with the push of a button, the arms to fold so it fits in a narrow spot in a storage compartment rather than "sprawled" all over the place like regular 4-way lug wrenches. Having a wrench like this also assures that you'll have a socket to fit the spare tire lug nuts.

Oh yeah, for the warranty conscious, it's a Lifetime Warranty.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #31
The PI Camper

That's an awesome innovation.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just bought a lug wrench because it has a 1/2" square drive on one of the legs that allows me to use a deep socket that fits in the wheel and also goes deeper onto the lug nuts.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The center hub allows the user to adjust arm lengths for max torque on lug nut or get a better angle. Moving the arm so the socket is farther away from the end you pull on gives more torque.
Center hub also allows, with the push of a button, the arms to fold so it fits in a narrow spot in a storage compartment rather than "sprawled" all over the place like regular 4-way lug wrenches. Having a wrench like this also assures that you'll have a socket to fit the spare tire lug nuts.

Oh yeah, for the warranty conscious, it's a Lifetime Warranty.

Nice!