Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I don't know all the circumstances with the failed fresh tanks mentioned in forums. Don't know how they did maintenance or what the original build looked like. But I do know that in real life, my rig and all my groups rigs all carry full fresh water tanks over many miles of dirt roads. No failures. So I am confident in my rig. If you aren't, then you need a different one
X2
I bought my rig to be able to use it... ALL of it. If I couldn't fill the fresh water tank and travel with it full, I'd be buying something else.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilliams48 View Post
Thanks for the replies... I think I will just go empty and fill when I get there. I'll only be on the road for about 6 hours, so probably will not have to make any stops other than gas.
And rest areas? 😁
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
And rest areas?
Well, yeah...
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
I bought my rig to be able to use it... ALL of it. If I couldn't fill the fresh water tank and travel with it full, I'd be buying something else.
X3 Well Said.
seag8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #25

Travel with 5-10 gal of fw for emergency use. Use rest areas as much as possible, using water from fw tank shifts weight from rear of tt to front of axle and adds weight to tounge on our Flagstaff. I understand not much water used per flush, add a couple of stops with grands, you have 8-12 flushes, etc,. Both black and grey tanks ahead of axles. Also rest areas good place for the fur baby to meet and greet nature as well.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #26

My Flagstaff 23 lb tank was full and fell out. I now try to travel with just enough to wash a dish or flush toilet.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorSnrub View Post
My Flagstaff 23 lb tank was full and fell out. I now try to travel with just enough to wash a dish or flush toilet.
Tank capacities are measured in gals, not lbs. Only 23 gal fresh water is full? That's pretty meager if you're boondocking.
These folks that insist on traveling with full fresh water tanks don't understand the weight will cost them $$$$$ in fuel costs. I trust my rig, but i don't believe in paying more for fuel for no good reason. 8-10 mpg hilly hwys are even worse -- is the reason i won't travel with any more than 5 gals max! There's enough decent rest areas to do what you need to do. And plenty of places to fill your tank before parking it!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I suppose I'll just never understand the mentality of "I won't tow with a full fresh water tank because I don't want to pay extra for fuel."

May as well only fill your fuel tank to a quarter before you go cause you'll be paying 'extra' to carry the other 3/4 tank.

Again, we bought our R/V to be able to use ALL of it.

Sure, if we are going to a full hook up campground, then there's no need for a full tank of fresh water. But we camp lots of places water isn't easily available. When we go those places, it doesn't matter about the few extra cents it takes to haul a full fresh tank. We go there knowing we need water and fully expect to cover whatever expense it takes to get it there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #29

Quote:
I suppose I'll just never understand the mentality of "I won't tow with a full fresh water tank because I don't want to pay extra for fuel."

May as well only fill your fuel tank to a quarter before you go cause you'll be paying 'extra' to carry the other 3/4 tank.

Sure, if we are going to a full hook up campground, then there's no need for a full tank of fresh water. But we camp lots of places water isn't easily available. When we go those places, it doesn't matter about the few extra cents it takes to haul a full fresh tank. We go there knowing we need water and fully expect to cover whatever expense it takes to get it there.

Totally agree.

And really, what does it cost in fuel to haul 500 lbs of water? LOL. Really? That is a valid argument?

Money spent on a tow vehicle: $50,000+
Money spent on a camper: $40,000+
Optionally, money spent on an RV: $200,000+. Plus TOAD.

... Worrying about additional fuel costs for 500+ lbs of fresh water (a key piece of RV'ing): PRICELESS!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #30

Quote:

Well said
Knotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #31

I always leave with a full fresh water tank and full water heater and have been doing it since day one without issue.

I have less concern with the additional weight of the water as I do with the frontal area of the trailer that I'm towing.

This question has come before and I mentioned that we arrived at provincial park a couple of years ago and the township had a broken water main. There was no water in the park for over 24 hours, including comfort stations......I'm glad I had a full tank.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorSnrub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Tank capacities are measured in gals, not lbs. Only 23 gal fresh water is full? That's pretty meager if you're boondocking.
These folks that insist on traveling with full fresh water tanks don't understand the weight will cost them $$$$$ in fuel costs. I trust my rig, but i don't believe in paying more for fuel for no good reason. 8-10 mpg hilly hwys are even worse -- is the reason i won't travel with any more than 5 gals max! There's enough decent rest areas to do what you need to do. And plenty of places to fill your tank before parking it!
The 23LB reference is the camper model, not the weight of the tank.
As far as plenty of places to fill before parking, that would depend on where you're at. Very few places near us to fill before parking.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #33

Done both, full fwt and minimal, my fuel milage did not change. The only difference I noticed was the way the tt handled. More water, the better the ride, plus I have had an instance where in my old class c, a friend on my sons used the bathroom and the foot pedal stuck completely draining my fwt. Refilled at a station in Wisconsin, and that water was NASTY. From that day on I ALWAYS left home with fwt FULL.
Just my 2cents.
Terry

Tbd
2020 Trailhawk toad
Semper Fi
Pillboxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
The 23LB reference is the camper model, not the weight of the tank.
As far as plenty of places to fill before parking, that would depend on where you're at. Very few places near us to fill before parking.
I see. I've seen many truck stops that had fresh water fill points. I've stopped at many because they're rv friendly. And most campgrounds I've parked in have potable water fill points as well. For drinking and cooking water, i have a cold/ hot water dispenser and 2-3 gallon bottles. I very seldom drink campground water as many don't have good tasting water.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #35

I agree with 5picker. I bought my unit to have as much as I need to have and water is one of the items. I like my own water better than some of the places I have filled at. If I'm going to a full hookup campground, I travel with about 10 gal. If I am going to a place where they only have electric, I fill my tanks. I have pulled my rig 2000 miles with and without full water and the millage difference was hardly worth talking about let alone worry about saving a nickle here and there. If you can afford to travel long distances, you can afford towing with a full complement of everything you want to have. I didn't buy this thing this late in life to worry about small change, I want to do what I want when I want with what I want, we planned it that way. 40 years ago was a different story. But as they say...to each their own. :-)
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #36
Insert witty title here

I like a full tank of water for 2 reasons:

1. Good for long trips where fresh water hookups aren't available.

2. Extra tongue weight makes the trailer more stable.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I don't do it because of the weight, not that I'm afraid that it will fall out, big difference, between 40 gals and 5 gals
There are so many places to add water why carry the extra weight,.I even limit myself to one case of beer.
LOL now that's what I call roughing it

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
LOL now that's what I call roughing it
BINGO!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I don't do it because of the weight, not that I'm afraid that it will fall out, big difference, between 40 gals and 5 gals
There are so many places to add water why carry the extra weight, I even limit myself to one case of beer.
EXACTLY!!!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #40
Global Nomad

Carry the water

I empty my gray water tanks. If my black water is 3/4ths full or more, I empty it and put in a couple of gallons of H20 and cleaner. If less than 3/4ths do not empty. I fill my fresh water. Even though I am going to a full hook up site, sometimes things don't work out. Once got stranded on the road and had to spend 4 days in a parking lot. By chance, today, the full hook-up site could not accommodate my 5th wheel. Luckily my water tank was full, my gray empty and my black 1/2 full. Hopefully, I will make it to Thursday, when I will dump.

I would rather be fully self-contained, then worry about a few pennies on diesel.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, towing, water, water tank