Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Very disappointed in new 2013 Surveyor SPT-220

We took delivery a week ago of our 220. After one night of camping, here are the issues so far:

Kitchen faucet leaks when traveling
Propane tank(s) ping loudly*
Fridge will not run on AC*
Finish on edge*of cabinet door*rubbed off and*rough
Cable connection faulty
Piece of wood on side of sofa came off

We are long-time RVers. Have owned Viking, Palomino, Jayco, Cedar Creek, Rockwood. Never had so many issues. So far very disappointed. Not to mention that the "mattress" is like sleeping on concrete. We did a lot of research before purchasing this trailer and think we may have made the wrong decision.

Linda and John
Linda3612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

I hope they get you fixed up.
You have me a little worried now. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2013 spt-220
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
I hope they get you fixed up.
You have me a little worried now. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2013 spt-220
I hope so. Dealer is already aware of cabinet and faucet issues. When we return from our trip we'll take it in. Since the propane tanks are right behind the bed the pinging wakes us up--it's loud. We debated so much between this trailer and a Rockwood Windjammer2102w. We decided on this one because of the walk around bed and large outside storage. Now we are wondering if we made a mistake. We have never had so many issues. Had a Rockwoid Roo 21SS before this and absolutely loved it Can't understand how it passed inspection at the factory. Very poor quality control I guess. Hope yours doesn't have these or any other problems.

Linda
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda3612 View Post

propane tanks are right behind the bed the pinging wakes us up--it's loud.

Linda
our propane tanks make the same sound
been wondering what causes it ??
someTHING in the regulator ??
wonder what it's telling me (us) ??
time for a replacement ??
if so yours would be on the house
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

I believe it is the regulator pinging, they all seem to do it. I have debated going to a larger quality regulator on mine for a while now.
How does the faucet leak? Even if the pump is switched off?
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
I believe it is the regulator pinging, they all seem to do it. I have debated going to a larger quality regulator on mine for a while now.
How does the faucet leak? Even if the pump is switched off?
I don't know. Never had this problem before. Pump is off. John thinks its the regulator. Will have it checked.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

Just an update--we have fixed 2 of the issues ourselves--replaced the cable--tv now works--the one that came with the Surveyor was bad. Also, since today is the first day we are not on the road, we took the outside panel off of the back of the fridge--surprise, surprise--they didn't plug in the fridge. It now works on electric which is good. Won't have to listen to pinging from the propane tanks. Discovered another problem regarding blinds over the sofa-- we have to take the wand off to open them. Faucet continues to leak even when parked.

We think that neither Surveyor at the factory nor our dealer tested anything. A good reason to spend a lot of time at the dealer when taking delivery.

Linda
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We think that neither Surveyor at the factory nor our dealer tested anything. A good reason to spend a lot of time at the dealer when taking delivery.

Linda
QC at the factory can really vary day by day. But the dealer missing these items is a big fail for them.

Here are some thoughts for you ...

Kitchen faucet leaks when traveling. Take it back and have them replace the faucet or fix under warranty. We had a leak under our kitchen sink and not even the service guy could fix it. I finally found it and this is where it helps to be a little handy (or in my case, lucky).

Propane tank(s) ping loudly* This means its about to go BOOOMMM!

But, really, its not normal. I would definitely get this fixed. It comes up time from to time and it is the regulator or a check valve. You can get the reg and pigtail replaced under warranty.

Fridge will not run on AC* Nice sleuthing!

Finish on edge*of cabinet door*rubbed off and*rough Tell them to fix it under warranty.

Cable connection faulty Good job with the new cable. Keep the receipt and have your dealer submit it.

Piece of wood on side of sofa came off Tell them to fix it under warranty. Frustrating, I know. They really need to do a better job with the finish but you don't need to live with it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #9

I am wondering if your's was built on a Friday or just before a holiday. I am wondering why the dealer didn't crank up everything to make sure it works before selling it. I did a walk through with my TT before I headed out of the lot, then got home at cranked up what I could because it was winterized. I pulled panels, etc. and looked around. Hope they get your problems straightened out.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

I hope so too. And I do blame the dealer. They should have gone over everything before selling to us. When we bought our Roo (House of Camping) in Bridgeview , Illinois, they were terrific. Unfortunately, we wanted the Surveyor and could not buy through them. Will let everyone know how dealer resolved issues.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Our propane system "sang" when we 1st got our trailer. Took it back to the dealer, and he tried another regulator with no help achieved. He replaced both pigtails, and the problem was solved. Both of tho puppies had bad check valves.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #12

We just got our trailer home and found quite a few issues. Found 3 stains on 1 cushion and 2 holes in the fabric on the base under the cushion. A 7 inch scratch in the slide trim and a small hole in the wall all in the same area. Bathroom door was warped and separating, Carpet on the slide out had a cut about 3 inches long. There is 1 brad nail sticking out of the trim that I must cut off before 1 of my kids catches some skin on it. I contacted the Dealer with pictures and they asked for more info and pictures so they could order parts. I am confident that my dealer will make this all right. I am a little POed about the damage in the trailer as it was obvious that the workers were careless moving stuff around in the trailer. The trailer was built on Thur July 28 which I suspect was at the end of their run and they may have been under the gun to get these trailers out of the factory. I think the 12th Aniversary Edition trailers started production on Aug 1. I haven't turned my propane or water on yet to test all that stuff out, and I am hoping that this is the end of the problems. I am not planning on taking the trailer back to the dealer until Oct where they can store it all winter for me again as they fix it. I know my wife is sick thinking about the damage in the new trailer but I still love this trailer and think it is still well built and plan on using it this summer and not worrying about the other stuff. We are hoping to have our unit in our seasonal spot by May 1st.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We took delivery a week ago of our 220. After one night of camping, here are the issues so far:

Kitchen faucet leaks when traveling
Propane tank(s) ping loudly*
Fridge will not run on AC*
Finish on edge*of cabinet door*rubbed off and*rough
Cable connection faulty
Piece of wood on side of sofa came off
Let's see, the fridge and TV now work. The propane tank "ping" will probably need a regulator or pigtail replacement...should be covered under warranty. The faucet leak should be an easy fix with a new washer. A couple of cosmetic problems are left. Overall, it looks like you got a great trailer !! Nothing serious in all of that.

We had a bunch more problems than yours, and we thought we were fortunate compared to many people buying campers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
We had a bunch more problems than yours, and we thought we were fortunate compared to many people buying campers.
Yep - its all relative.

We also had some minor issues with our only new trailer (the one we have now) but nothing compared to some that you read about .

The only times we didn't have issues off the bat were when we bought used and I know the previous owners had all ironed out the bugs in these units by the time we bought.

The reality is that most new trailers have issues.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't know. Never had this problem before. Pump is off. John thinks its the regulator. Will have it checked.
We had pinging in our new SP 280. Was the pigtails that connect tank to regulator. Changed them and problem gone. Sure relate how annoying that is and after a bit of research I understand it's a common problem and known issue. We live far from our dealer so fixing myself was cheaper and less hassle but sure seems like this shouldn't even be a problem. But all said an easy fix to a very annoying problem
sask guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #16

So strange that fr continues to turn out garbage like this without any recourse. I guess they read the site and just don't care.
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #17

what's really going on these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
So strange that fr continues to turn out garbage like this without any recourse. I guess they read the site and just don't care.

I find it rather amazing myself !!!

Mountainman

all they really need to do is
pick it up a notch or two on the final inspection
what's really going on these days
??????
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Let's see, the fridge and TV now work. The propane tank "ping" will probably need a regulator or pigtail replacement...should be covered under warranty. The faucet leak should be an easy fix with a new washer. A couple of cosmetic problems are left. Overall, it looks like you got a great trailer !! Nothing serious in all of that.

We are finally taking the camper in for repair this weekend. And for the recall for the propane line. We spoke with dealer and were told that the faucet cannot be fixed and we have to live with leaks because it's a gooseneck faucet and they all do that. Doesn't sound right to me. We are also having a problem when running the AC. It runs for awhile and then trips the circuit breaker. Dealer told us that's because we had the water heater running on electric (even though they're on separate circuits). So we don't hold out much hope of getting things fixed.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #19

Guess you can't be comfortable and clean at the same time.We can run our AC and electric water heater at the same time,so I think they are trying to pull one over on you.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #20

For whatever reason, your dealer is not coming clean. Faucets do not have to leak. AC and water heater should not trip the breaker (in the trailer) . May trip a faulty breaker at a campground. If your dealer isn't willing to fix these, I suggest you call FR warranty dept. I have found them to be most helpful and concerned that things get fixed right.