Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Vinyl insert replacement

Last week while camping I noticed a small section of the vinyl trim on the front of the cap was broken and coming out of the channel. Looking closer I saw that overall the trim was brittle and cracking. Doesn't seem like a big deal to replace it (I already have ordered and received the 1" trim), but it sure seems like it "went bad" very quickly. I suppose the sun did the job on it. We store outside, uncovered. Just curious how common this occurrence is.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

I noticed that mine is cracking when I was putting on my cover for the winter. I too think it is a little premature. I will look to fix or replace it in the spring. Just need to decide to see if I can get it repaired under warranty or just do it.
I will have an appointment with the dealer in June for its annual inspection. I will ponder after taking the cover off.
Good luck to you.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Just need to decide to see if I can get it repaired under warranty or just do it.
Mine, of course, is out of warranty. My first thought was I would have to take it to my dealer, who is almost 2 hours away. But after some thought, and research, it doesn't look like that much of a big deal to replace. The roll of vinyl was inexpensive and I think spending an hour or two this Spring will beat towing it to the dealer for repair. Plus save a boatload of money to boot. I see yours is a 2017, so yeah, I think that is too soon. If you are close to the dealer it "might" be worth it to check the warranty.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #4

That trim insert material dosen't last more than 2 years or so. Less if out in sun.
Stuff is cheap enough that I keep a 100' roll on hand. Have replaced it on our 2012 Lexi twice so far, and will probably be doing it again in spring.
While replacing it, it gives you a good opportuny to clean out the trim rail and check if any screws have backed out or need attention.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
Navy06RET

trim

Having the same problem with cracking vinyl trim. Can someone tell me where to order it? Thanks.
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascribner View Post
Having the same problem with cracking vinyl trim. Can someone tell me where to order it? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Vinyl-I.../dp/B0006JLW5M
Old 05-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

I ordered mine from Amazon. Easy replacement.

RV Designer E369, Heavy Duty Vinyl Insert Trim, 1 inch Wide, 25 foot Roll, Black
Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Navy06RET

Thank you both!!
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:57 AM   #9

If yours is like mine it is tucked behind the rail. You must loosen the rail to get it out therefore damaging the caulking on that portion of the rail. On the roof there were two screws put in from the top at each corner. They were covered with dicor lap sealant.
To do it correctly you will need:
Butyl putty tape for under the rail
ProFlex caulking (I needed almond and black)
Dicor self leveling lap seal for roof
Check carefully before you start. It's not just pushing the trim back in the rail. Remember...Water intrusion is your trailers worst enemy!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
If yours is like mine it is tucked behind the rail. You must loosen the rail to get it out therefore damaging the caulking on that portion of the rail. On the roof there were two screws put in from the top at each corner. They were covered with dicor lap sealant.
To do it correctly you will need:
Butyl putty tape for under the rail
ProFlex caulking (I needed almond and black)
Dicor self leveling lap seal for roof
Check carefully before you start. It's not just pushing the trim back in the rail. Remember...Water intrusion is your trailers worst enemy!
It should just slide into the trim after removing the old. Clean out the track. Slide the new in. I used some sealant on the end. I only had to replace 6 inches on this trailer. I had completely redone the trim on our old pop-up. I actually used left over trim from that repair. Easy repair but tedious.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
It should just slide into the trim after removing the old. Clean out the track. Slide the new in. I used some sealant on the end. I only had to replace 6 inches on this trailer. I had completely redone the trim on our old pop-up. I actually used left over trim from that repair. Easy repair but tedious.
Mine like yours just slid into the trim after the old was removed. It was at the ends that I ran into problems. That is where it was tucked under the rail or at the top screwed thru the rubber. I'm sure they are all done different but with mine to get it back to oem style I had to do a little more.

Does only replacing a six inch piece leave a place for water to get in? Delamination scares me so I'm trying to be extra cautious.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Mine like yours just slid into the trim after the old was removed. It was at the ends that I ran into problems. That is where it was tucked under the rail or at the top screwed thru the rubber. I'm sure they are all done different but with mine to get it back to oem style I had to do a little more.

Does only replacing a six inch piece leave a place for water to get in? Delamination scares me so I'm trying to be extra cautious.
I overlapped quite a bit with new under old then applied sealant where two came together then on end area. I can't remember how I tucked/folded the very end under.
I would look but trailer is being stored elsewhere for the next few weeks.

Tags
replacement