Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Voltage Regulator

Ok tell me if I am being to cautious? Finishing up a 15 day tour of the Southwest when we stop the last night in a camp ground in Fort Stockton, TX nice place. I plug my Big Green Voltage Regulator in and it gives me this message " reverse polarity" and will not go green. I ask the maintenance man and he tells me it's because the ground is to dry? Tells me to wait a little while and it will go green. I wait 30 minutes and it is still red no power to the camper. He says he has been there 7 months and no problem with his equipment, there are like 50 campers there. . We check out and go to a hotel.
Was I being to cautious?
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #2

If your surge protector (Big Green Voltage regulator) gives you reversed polarity then you have a decision to make: either don't use it or trust it and move on, which is I think the right thing to do. Over cautious, I don't think so, as when you play with electricity it can be hazardous to your health. Read the following, it gives good info on reverse polarity.

The shocking truth about campground electricity
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
I plug my Big Green Voltage Regulator in and it gives me this message " reverse polarity" and will not go green. I ask the maintenance man and he tells me it's because the ground is to dry? Tells me to wait a little while and it will go green.
Dry earth says nothing about polarity. If earth is conducting power that it should not be (ie neutral wires are defective), then a polarity indicator may be reporting a completely different failure.

How does earth ground and neutral wire get so much voltage difference? Well, all electricals have many layers of protection so that any one failure (such as this) does not cause appliance or human damage. He is simply reasoning that other protection layers are working, So he need not learn about and fix that problem. You also probably would be fine.

However that neutral wire failure comes and goes as different people consume different power. Sometimes causing both overvoltages and undervoltages.

Even in the Challenger, management took his attitude. Secondary O-rings exist. So previous primary O-ring failures can be ignored. Makes one wonder what else he rationalized so as to not fix it. Dry ground does not explain the fault. Dry ground only made a probable defect more obvious.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

Weston, Good explanation, thanks.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voltage