Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

Water Filter?

Just dewinterizing our used Surveyor 186SPT: All faucets run clear and free of antifreeze, but water filter has antifreeze in canister. The folks we bought trailer from did not use water filter system--no filter in canister--but when they winterized obviously antifreeze ran into the canister. Question: Do I need to remove antifreeze from water filter to complete winterization even if I don't intend to use filtration system moving forward? Filter removal tool I have does not fit this particular canister since original idea was to unscrew water filter and empty. Second question: Is there a way already built into plumbing system to bypass this water filter? Many thanks for any input!
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter
Just dewinterizing our used Surveyor 186SPT: All faucets run clear and free of antifreeze, but water filter has antifreeze in canister. The folks we bought trailer from did not use water filter system--no filter in canister--but when they winterized obviously antifreeze ran into the canister. Question: Do I need to remove antifreeze from water filter to complete winterization even if I don't intend to use filtration system moving forward? Filter removal tool I have does not fit this particular canister since original idea was to unscrew water filter and empty. Second question: Is there a way already built into plumbing system to bypass this water filter? Many thanks for any input!

1) yes remove antifreeze from canister it obvious that water still flows through it. Then sanitize system before use.
Bleach and water through fw tank will do the trick.
2) if you are not going to use it then just remove it from the system by removing and coupling two ends together.

3) a good tight grip with both hands may loosen canister.
Any hardware or big box store carries replacement wrenches.

Good luck!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks. Funny, I have a filter wrench for our well water filter, and surprisingly it doesn't fit this canister. You'd think they would manufacture these darn canisters in the same form factor--own one wrench, remove them all--oh well.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

one would think huh !
good luck and have fun this summer!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

You too man, have a great summer! We are finally getting out early August after we do a llama trek this week into the backcountry of the High Rockies.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Why not try a strap wrench, which can be found in any Home Depot or Lowes?
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
You too man, have a great summer! We are finally getting out early August after we do a llama trek this week into the backcountry of the High Rockies.
post up some pics of that trip after !
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

When all else fails a set of these fit every manufacturer of filter canisters. I use mine on our pool pump. Better than large channel lock pliers since they don't chew up the fittings.

Rubber Strap Wrench - Harbor Freight Tools

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the strap wrench suggestion, just picked one up at True Value Hardware.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
Here is what I did and posted on the Palomino thread. Hope this helps.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ass-24249.html

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Thanks a bunch, picture really helps. Looks like a great "workaround".