Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
One of the first things my wife does on a new rig is write the model no. of all the appliances on the applicable manual. That answers most questions.

I did this with the trailer but I do it with the house as well.
Lawn mower, weed eater DVD player.....
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I am not sure what heater you have but on my Suburban there is no problem using both at the same time. Speeds up recovery and saves on propane. Just be sure there is plenty of water in the tank when you turn on the switch (and be sure to turn it off when you are done for the trip). The electric elements only require seconds to burn out.
How do I turn on my electric water heater???
cliffcrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I thought gas was faster in regards to recovery time. I would not use both at the same time.
How do I turn on my electric water heater?
cliffcrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcrooks View Post
How do I turn on my electric water heater?
Hi Cliff and Welcome to Forest River Forums. It's very helpful if you tell us what kind of RV you have. It's usually best to put this information into your Profile and/or Signature. You can find these things in the UserCP link in the green bar in the upper portion of your screen.

For this question, it would also be good to know what brand of water heater you have. It's likely to be a Suburban and if so, you will find a little black rocker-switch in the lower-left corner of the water heater panel outside. It may have a pin in it that has to be removed. That pin is there because if you turn the electric heating element on with no water in the tank, the heating element will be destroyed in a matter of seconds (so don't forget to turn the switch off again before you disconnect the water).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #25

X2 on what Barry said for the heater switch. Also, in most if not all the suburban's, the switch is what I would consider to be upside down so look close when operating it.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #26

To update my original question- I took my travel trailer out and I did use both the gas and electric to heat the water at the same time. I finally had a hot shower that lasted more than 30 seconds.
Thanks.
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
To update my original question- I took my travel trailer out and I did use both the gas and electric to heat the water at the same time. I finally had a hot shower that lasted more than 30 seconds.
Thanks.

Check your water heater by-pass valve. My first shower seemed to be very short on hot water. When I was winterizing my unit I found that the by-pass valve was open all of the time that I had the unit. Cold water was mixing with my hot water so every thing was luke warm.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #28

Thanks, bypass was fine. I was just used to take long showers and the gas by itself couldn't keep up. With both electricity and gas heating it, it gets steam up quickly.
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
Thanks, bypass was fine. I was just used to take long showers and the gas by itself couldn't keep up. With both electricity and gas heating it, it gets steam up quickly.

I've never run out of hot water showering on either 120V or propane.

You might want to consider taking a navy shower, the water supply goes further.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater