Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #1

What is the best RV cover for the Surveyor SP series?

I was hoping to receive feedback from owners of the Surveyor Sport series travel trailers. I am considering purchasing a cover for my SP-240 and I came across the Adco Designer series cover. I know that there are several types of covers out there and I wanted to get as much information as possible before I shell out $300 to $400 bucks. On my travel trailer I have the normal rooftop accessories - AC, tank vents, HD Omni directional antennae etc. The one thing I am concerned with is the antennae for the am/fm radio. It looks like a car antennae pointing straight up from the roof. I am concerned with this poking and ripping a hole in a RV cover. Does anyone else have this problem? Any other concerns when considering a RV cover?
Joedh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #2

At the base of the antenna is a screw that you will need to loosen, the antenna will fold flat against the roof.
You do not have your location in your signature so you will need to buy a cover that will handle your climate. Covers are made for holding up to heavy snow or strong rain and sun.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Crunchman, thanks for the feedback. I have not been on the roof of my travel trailer. Knowing that antennae will fold down gives me some comfort to avoid possible rips. I reside in Northern CA where we have hot summers and never any snow in the winter. I looked at a cover with Tyvek and UV protection from the sun as well as protection from the rain. On my trailer, I have some protrusions like rain gutters, awning, etc. does anyone have any suggestions to protect the cover from ripping and tearing around these sensitive areas?
Joedh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedh2 View Post
On my trailer, I have some protrusions like rain gutters, awning, etc. does anyone have any suggestions to protect the cover from ripping and tearing around these sensitive areas?
Tennis balls with an X cut into them work great on downspouts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Tennis balls with an X cut into them work great on downspouts.
X2 or you can cut 4" pieces of "pool noodle" and slide over the gutters.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

cover or not?

Hi Joedh2,
Here's my 2 cents worth.....
The best way to go of course is a carport (which we can't afford yet either). We live in northern Arizona and get high winds and hot summers. Reading online I found out some RV covers can get very hot underneath and that's bad for everything (I mean really hot too, very surprising).
The last 2 covers I bought for previous trailers cost over $400 apiece and were supposed to be the cat's meow. Neither one lasted more than one season before tearing apart.
With the A/C, Maxair covers, omni directional tv antenna, extended rain gutters and ladder on our 2013 Surveyor 220, I just don't want the trouble of a cover. Getting a cover off and on a 27' foot long, 11' tall trailer would be daunting. I'm 63 and conning my lovely wife into getting up on the roof of that thing is getting fewer and farther between!
I figure I would only have to buy 9 or 10 covers to pay for a carport so that's what we're saving up for. We have enough room for one anyway.
Good luck with your decision; maybe a cover is better than no cover, who knows?
Happy Camping!
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07252013 019E.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	39654  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

We're here in Florida...and don't use a cover on our SP-240. They are a pain to put on and remove, bulky to store, trap heat underneath (even though they are designed to "breathe") and, no matter what precautions you take, WILL tear. Instead, we have opted to scrub down and rinse the roof three times a year...I scrub with a soft, car wash brush with extension handle and use a mild solution of Dawn detergent, as recommended by a product representative at Forest River HQ. DW positions herself on a folding frame step ladder and handles the rinse hose. Working together, it's not a big job at all. The last step (and an important one) is to then treat the roof with Aerospace 303 UV protectant. This stuff works. We have used it on our boats here for many years, and it does exactly what the manufacturer claims. Spray it on, spread and then wipe off any excess. It protects. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, and it's a lot less expensive than a $500.00 cover which rapidly deteriorates. (By the way, it's also useful on the TT's tires and all the rest of the plastic and rubber trim). The 240's roof is made to be walked on...carefully..., and with the ladder that our 10th Anniversary Edition came equipped with, it's not a problem to climb up there. Hope this helps. Have fun. We love our 240...a great couples TT...and the outside kitchen is a real advantage.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote