Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #1

Winter camping SV264

I am thinking about heading out to trout fish. How good is this trailer for cold weather camping? It has R9 in the walls but doesn't specify what the roof is rated at.

Also how good is the heated underbelly at keeping your tanks from freezing?Night time temps won't be any lower than mid 20's cause if they are I am staying home where it's warm.
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team

none of FR's brands sell a true 4-season RV.
at best, you might get a 3-season one but none are designed for truly cold weather. i don't think Surveyors would even be considered 3-season.

are you sure it has a heated underbelly or just heated holding tanks?
heated underbellies are usually found in 5th wheels and motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

Brochure says "Heated and enclosed underbelly. Surveyor's underbelly is heated and enclosed. The entire underbelly is warmed from radiant heat from the heat duct allowing you to use the coach in colder weather environments"
Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
Brochure says "Heated and enclosed underbelly. Surveyor's underbelly is heated and enclosed. The entire underbelly is warmed from radiant heat from the heat duct allowing you to use the coach in colder weather environments"
i'm thinking that applies to the Surveyor 5th wheels, not the TT's but i could be wrong.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

For (Winter camping & Ice fishing) the best unit would be a (Salem Ice Cabin) they are made by F/R and made for (COLD) weather! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If the furnace is used to keep the camper warm, then the space between the underbelly and the camper where the tanks are located will be kept reasonable warm. But if dry camping, I doubt the battery bank will be sufficient to run the furnace all night

Another concern is the lines that are below the underbelly. The fresh water and low point drains are close enough to the underbelly that convection heat might keep those warm enough not to freeze if it doesn't get too cold overnight. The black and gray tank drains sit a bit lower, though. If camping in freezing weather where I have hookups, I keep some rope lights wrapped around the waste tank drains to keep those from freezing.

If water hookups are available, then it might be best to unhook and drain the water hose overnight. I let that line freeze 1 time, and had to let the sun thaw out that puppy.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

I'm into my 3rd winter of camping in my SV-264. We are pulling out of the DFW area Saturday going up to Beaver's Bend State Park in S E Oklahoma for some... trout fishing... ... We use ours frequently in below freezing weather. As long as you have plentiful propane and insulate your hose, you'll have no problem in the 20s. I have used mine in temps as cold as 12 with no trouble. The underbelly is enclosed and does get some heat. I use an electric space heater to augment my furnace and to keep from using so much propane....

So, where ya goin' fishin'?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm into my 3rd winter of camping in my SV-264. We are pulling out of the DFW area Saturday going up to Beaver's Bend State Park in S E Oklahoma for some... trout fishing... ... We use ours frequently in below freezing weather. As long as you have plentiful propane and insulate your hose, you'll have no problem in the 20s. I have used mine in temps as cold as 12 with no trouble. The underbelly is enclosed and does get some heat. I use an electric space heater to augment my furnace and to keep from using so much propane....

I am thinking of trying Blue River near Tishomingo if I can sneak away.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post

Exactly. Whether you call it a three-season camper or a two-season camper, Surveyors are great for winter camping unless it gets in the 20's and teens and stays there for a long while.

We've camped in teens and twenties for years in Surveyors - one with an open underbelly and one that is enclosed but no heated tanks. Never a problem. Of course in our neck of the woods, the cold temps usually warm up well above freezing the next day.

Up north is a different story, but I've never found a reason for denying myself camping fun just because the temps dip into the teens or 20's during the night.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #10

johndeerefarmer...

I'm always looking for new places. Blue River is actually closer for us, so we'll try it someday soon... Thanks! Enjoy your trip!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter