Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Yet another her Furrion Obs camera question

Hello All and thanks in advance.

I am on my second Furrion camera (obs model) and still can’t get it to work. Yes, I have my running lights on. Yes, my 7 pin connector seems to be working properly. Yes, the camera works when plugged into the dash power along with the screen. The dealer says there is power going to the wire you plug the camera into on th back of the TT where the Furrion case is attached to my 2018 200mble. So when I plug the camera in to the back of the TT, I get no connection and the camera has no power.

F-150 and 24 foot TT.

Any thoughts and thanks!?
Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Have you watched the you tube video on installing a furrion on the pre-installed connection? The connection is 12v and if you got the backup only Mera it only turns in when your backup lights are on and your truck is connected to the trailer wiring. Watch the video.
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

When I installed mine I believe there were instructions for "paring" the camera to the monitor? I assume that has been done?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #4

One other thing that can help. Have both antennas oriented the same way. On my rig, the camera antenna is horizontal to the ground and parallel to the back of the trailer. The receiver is the same - horizontal and pointing out the side window.. Definitely do not point the receiver antenna at the camera.

Issue is that the strongest radio signal is emitted from the antenna in the shape of a donut. So if the donut of the sender and the receiver are oriented the same - you get the best reception.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks folks. Yes, it is the observation camera version. Yes, they are paired. They work together when close and both are plugged into the dash of my truck. When I bring the camera back and attach it to the pre-wire mount, it can’t find the monitor. Dealer says the wire back there does have power. I also check it with a multimeter. I have tried two different cameras now assuming maybe the first one was broken. Both did the same thing. I’ll try changing the antennas.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

Here is the youtube video. Maybe it will help!
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

Thanks for posting it. I have seen it many times before and it does me no good I unfortunately. I have done everything he has done (not the on/off switch) and neither of the units I have purchased have worked once the camera isn’t plugged into the 12v plug in my dash with the extra wire to test the camera. I’m starting to think either I used my multimeter incorrectly but why would the dealer say they tested the pre-wire twice for power successfully? Mystery. This should be a really easy install.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Check for a proper ground connection at the camera while mounted.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #9

How do I do that? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #10

You have a wiring problem, not a camera problem. Only thing to do is trace the wire. Try the running lite right above it. I'm guessing one of the two wires pulled out of the wire crimp they did at the factory.

A multi meter or a test light and some time.....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #11

Surely it can't be this simple, but you mentioned you have your running lights on. Turn on your headlights and see what happens. That's what I have to do. Otherwise I get nothing on the monitor.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #12

I just went through some of the things you are experiencing. Make sure the camera's blue light is on when mounted to the bracket on the back of the trailer and you have your truck's running lights on. If no blue light you do not have power to the camera. Also make sure you snug the plug from the camera into the connector in the bracket when you mount the camera. Call Furrion support and ask for someone in tech support to go over everything with you, tell them everything you have been doing, stay patient with them and they can help diagnos your issues. You may have to leave a message and they will call you back. Keep the forum posted on your success, or lack there of and more help will come your way.
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrowland View Post
How do I do that? Thanks.
Someone with a Furion unit will have to verify this. My TT came with the Furion prep but i cut it off to use on another type camera. The factory installed plug to connect to the camera consisted of two wires (molded together) terminating in a round plug that joined up with the connector coming from the camera. Look into the end of that plug and you’ll see a center pin which carries the positive voltage. The inside part of the outer ring (the part you can hold) is the metal that carries the negative (ground) signal.

Put a voltmeter on the two parts, and be careful not to touch both at once with a single probe. With the lights on you should see 12+ volts. If you don’t get a reading then touch one of the probes to a known good ground and the other to the center pin. You may have to use a longer wire to find a solid ground connection. If you now show voltage then the ground portion of the round connector is not attached to a ground point. Or, if no voltage shown then the positive (center pin) wire is not connected properly.

Let us know the result so we can tell you how to bypass the factory setup to fix the problem.

Since you say the camera works when you use a different connection source I’m pretty sure the problem is going to be at the connector with the wires disappearing into the trailer as installed by the factory. But, if you get a voltage reading from that connector I don’t have a clue what’s going on.

If there is an automotive sound shop nearby you could ask one of the installers to drop by your location after work hours and do the testing. They work with that stuff all the time and there’s no difference getting 12 vdc to a radio, a light or a camera. It’s just basic electricity.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #14

Thanks everyone. Most kind of you all to take the time to write such detailed and helpful posts.

To answer a few questions...

Yes, I have tried it with my lights on as well. No go.
Yes, I double checked to make sure the two wires connect snuggly at the back of the TT.
Yes, I agree that it must be a problem with the connection point because otherwise things work perfectly. This should be plug and play and it isn’t.

The dealer says they checked the wire at the back twice and that it DOES have power. That said, this dealer is less than stellar and has done several silly things so far that would make a less patient person flip out. I am a middle school teacher, so I know silly, lol.

When I get back from my current trip, I’ll have them look at it and bring the camera as well. I’m still under warranty. I’ll add this to the ever growing list of issues I have experienced with this new FR TT. I have owned this thing since November and it has lived with them all but one week in their shop and there is waaay more to fix. I hate to be that person complaining, but it is what it is. This TT is a mess and buying local doesn’t always work out.

All that said, it’s nice to know that folks like ya’ll exist so thanks again! It’ll all work out eventually. I just want to make sure I get most of it taken care of before my warranty disappears.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #15

I've been told the camera connection at the back of the TT is spliced into one of the tail lights at the back. You might check them to see if it's hooked in there - at least you know you have power down the line to that point.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Topspud

Furrion Camera

I had to use a multimeter to validate the positive and negative lines. i installed and parked my 5r with it installed and working. now the 5r is gone, so i have a Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket available for $250.
Topspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #17

Make sure it's plugged in all the way. Seems to me it was a tight plug due to water "proofing" around it.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #18
Out of Order

Some thoughts.

Check for power yourself. Multimeter to both wire ends to show somewhere north of 12volts.

Check ground. Multimeter in continuity mode, one probe to ground wire one probe to frame, bumper or something else grounded. You should get a tone showing the ground wire is indeed grounded. This will also confirm which wire is ground to assist with proper connections.

When testing the camera, is the trailer connected to the tow vehicle or shore power? If not, is the battery disconnect engaged? You might have power to the wired connection but if the trailer is not powered, either are the wires.
todtc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #19

I had the same problem last year with my new 2017 Surveyor. My dealer was horrible at troubleshooting the issue. I took the trailer in 3 times for the problem (also swapped the camera once). Each time they said they found and fixed the problem. It worked fine when plugged into the auxiliary cable, but not on the trailer, no blue light. Unfortunately when i picked the trailer up the first two times we were heading out on trips and I did not have time to hold them accountable. On the third time I would not let them off the hook. Finally they traced the entire cable which went to the front battery. They admitted the cable was not connected (not sure what they did the first two times). They connected and when I picked it up I made sure it worked and it did. Now the trailer was under warranty and could hold them to account, although I did not buy camera from them. So issue was from the factory, one other note according to Furrion website this model trailer should support Observation camera, however it was only wired as a backup camera. So TV must be in reverse for camera to turn on. Unfortunately I bought observation version for $100 more, but could not return due to delays in getting it to work ( 4 months). I might rewire myself off the back light so Observation works.

My recommendation is take the trailer back to your dealer and make them show you it works. I suspect it is a wiring issues.
blueowlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #20

I just install a Furrion observation camera on my 2018 247BHDS last week. I had the same problem. It worked with a multi-meter, but did not power the camera. I tested to each lead to ground, and realized that they had the wire colors reversed......

I could have just reversed the wires to the camera. But, because I am OCD, I was able to unscrew the running lights and find the wire nuts where the backup camera lead was and put them back to the correct color wires.

Running lights must be on. If the camera has power, the blue light on the camera will be on.
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote