Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Bike Rack for 5th Wheel

Just purchased a 2006 GSF-240BH. I prefer to carry 2 bicycles outside the trailer rather than in the inside storage compartment. One option is to use a ladder-mounted bike rack. However, lifting the bikes to a verticle position and taking them down from that height gets a bit tiresome. Has anyone figured out a way to attach a 2" hitch receiver to the rear of this 5th Wheel without damaging the underbelly enclosure and insulation? I would use the hitch receiver stictly to attach a standard hitch-mounted bicycle rack. Thanks for any ideas, suggestions, experience and advice.
You-can-call-me-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Captain of Industry

I have the same challenge. Depending on whether or not you have a 4 inch bumper, you could use something like this Curt Manufacturing RV Bumper Hitch, Model# E-100 | Hitch Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment to mount to the bumper. Then you can easily add a hitch-mounted bicycle rack.

I actually found one for half the cost at our local dealership, but it is only rated for 300 lbs or something like that. I think the one on the link is rated to actually use as a tow hitch for a light trailer. Not sure that I would try that, worrying about the stress to the bumper itself, but it ought to be fine for the bicycle rack.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You need to check the thickness of that 4" square bumper...I believe it is only 1/16" thick and will not support any 300# rated hitch and equipment. That would require some fabrication that would mount it directly to the frame rails.

I've removed my spare tire and carrier (65 lbs) for a carrier with 2 bikes (90 lbs). I don't think any bumper mount hitch will support much more than that.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Thanks for your suggestions. This model does not have a rear bumper, only a plastic "tube" to stow a drainage hose. Also, the spare tire is mounted under the front. There seems no clear way to mount a bike rack (or anything else) to the rear except to use a ladder attachment, but I'll keep pondering.
You-can-call-me-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

How about something like this ?? Bikes mounted pictures from world travel photos on webshots

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

eewwww,,,bugs on your handle bars.
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

As much as I (and you) hate to say, please do a forum search; this topic is an EPIC example of why you should.

There must be several hundred posts about mounting ANYTHING to the bumper or frame of FR Ultra-lite products.

The 4 inch bumper is rated (per the factory) at 150 pounds maximum within 6 INCHES of the bumper center. That would be the factory installed spare tire mount. period.

I mounted two very light mountain bikes on a light weight hitch that attached to the bumper. Half way to Florida last year, the mount and the bikes were inside the camper.

The bumper flexed so much with the bikes bouncing back there that both bumper caps worked out and fell off the first day. The welds that hold the bumper on are pretty flimsy and would not have stood up long to that kind of pounding. Losing the bumper; bikes; and spare tire were not what I was concerned about. It was the junk landing in front of another driver or drivers and killing somebody.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Another option would be to get a front mount receiver for your truck, and a hitch mounted bike rack to fit that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #9

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As much as I (and you) hate to say, please do a forum search; this topic is an EPIC example of why you should.

There must be several hundred posts about mounting ANYTHING to the bumper or frame of FR Ultra-lite products.

The 4 inch bumper is rated (per the factory) at 150 pounds maximum within 6 INCHES of the bumper center. That would be the factory installed spare tire mount. period.

I mounted two very light mountain bikes on a light weight hitch that attached to the bumper. Half way to Florida last year, the mount and the bikes were inside the camper.

The bumper flexed so much with the bikes bouncing back there that both bumper caps worked out and fell off the first day. The welds that hold the bumper on are pretty flimsy and would not have stood up long to that kind of pounding. Losing the bumper; bikes; and spare tire were not what I was concerned about. It was the junk landing in front of another driver or drivers and killing somebody.

Are there weight limitations on the rear ladder.

RV TWO BIKE LADDER RACK fit any model make year NIB - eBay (item 110628086683 end time Mar-24-11 11:31:15 PDT)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

I had a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame at the rear of our fifth wheel. I use it for our gear deck to carry our generators, firewood and extra water. If you could do the same thing, you could use a bicycle rack which goes into a receiver hitch. You can see the gear deck in this photo. I don't have any close ups of the hitch, but could take some if you wish.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #11

Checkout what this guy did.

A Custom Motorcycle Carrier on our Fifth Wheel

Tags
5th wheel, bike, bike rack