Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #1

2016 grey wolf 26rr I'm new a questions

my first question is does the propane water heater need to be started? I have used the electric part just didn't know on propane side

I am thinking of heating the tanks as I use it for hunting in Nov in MN so it can get cold does anyone know what the about size heat blankets to buy?
Osure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osure View Post
my first question is does the propane water heater need to be started? I have used the electric part just didn't know on propane side

I am thinking of heating the tanks as I use it for hunting in Nov in MN so it can get cold does anyone know what the about size heat blankets to buy?

Osure I have a 2016 26RR and I must say you are a game one to think of using yours in very very cold weather. I winterize mine by going south [emoji13]
It is not just the tanks but also the outlet pipes may need to be wrapped with heat tape and there are pipes from the fresh water tank into the rv through oversized holes in the floor under the bathroom sink and under the shower pan. There are some drain pipes also hanging down near the axles. All of these may need some protection. Heat pads are available from several places but you need to drop the belly pan to attach them to the tanks. Unless you were thinking of a large heat blanket like on a bed attached under the whole tank area. All of these methods are power hungry.
Some people put insulation board around the perimeter of the rig and place an electric heater fan in that.
Inside you may need to make window and skylight insulators to keep warmer. There are also air holes and very thin sections at the outdoor shower, the two exhaust vents at the rear and near the door, and the water inlet and outlet under the bathroom sink.
On mine I also diverted the rear heating pipe which exited from the rear side of the kitchen sink under the side seat - mine now comes out below the bottom drawer under the sink through the blank panel. How I did that was posted a few years ago on the forums.
I’ll be interested in how your insulation work goes as will others on the forums so post pix for us please.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Osure I have a 2016 26RR and I must say you are a game one to think of using yours in very very cold weather. I winterize mine by going south [emoji13]
It is not just the tanks but also the outlet pipes may need to be wrapped with heat tape and there are pipes from the fresh water tank into the rv through oversized holes in the floor under the bathroom sink and under the shower pan. There are some drain pipes also hanging down near the axles. All of these may need some protection. Heat pads are available from several places but you need to drop the belly pan to attach them to the tanks. Unless you were thinking of a large heat blanket like on a bed attached under the whole tank area. All of these methods are power hungry.
Some people put insulation board around the perimeter of the rig and place an electric heater fan in that.
Inside you may need to make window and skylight insulators to keep warmer. There are also air holes and very thin sections at the outdoor shower, the two exhaust vents at the rear and near the door, and the water inlet and outlet under the bathroom sink.
On mine I also diverted the rear heating pipe which exited from the rear side of the kitchen sink under the side seat - mine now comes out below the bottom drawer under the sink through the blank panel. How I did that was posted a few years ago on the forums.
I’ll be interested in how your insulation work goes as will others on the forums so post pix for us please.
Howdy,

New here and also new to camping with 26 RR. Where would I find the method to change the heater to direct into the kitchen vs under the seat ? thank you ! George
gkyller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkyller View Post
Howdy,

New here and also new to camping with 26 RR. Where would I find the method to change the heater to direct into the kitchen vs under the seat ? thank you ! George

George, I can’t find my original description on the forums but what I did was take out the two drawers so you can get your hands in the space. Then remove the heater pipe from the round outlet. Then I took part of a household heater outlet which is a rectangular section with a pipe input and laid it on the floor under the drawers. I had to remove the small blank panel and A rectangular outlet was installed in this space. Some work (read butchery) was done with heat duct tape to join the rectangular channel to the outlet as the two were not the same width and in fact only the rearward facing vanes are used, the other side is just open. I also put some black sticky insulation on the rectangular section to keep heat in and protect some wiring.
I took some new photos so I hope they give an idea. It has done well for us over the 3 or 4 years since I did itClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	235031
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 07-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
RiderBloke

Quote:
Howdy,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	235032
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 07-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
RiderBloke

Quote:
Howdy,

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	235033
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #7

People here in NM hunt in December with trailers. They run their generators 24/7. One poor guy turned his off during the day, and had no water for the rest of the hunt. My ROO has electric tank heaters, and is fairly well insulated. That said, my wall tent with wood stove is much better for hunting. The picture below shows what is wrong with cold weather camping on a hunt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4083.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	235063  
Old 07-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
People here in NM hunt in December with trailers. They run their generators 24/7. One poor guy turned his off during the day, and had no water for the rest of the hunt. My ROO has electric tank heaters, and is fairly well insulated. That said, my wall tent with wood stove is much better for hunting. The picture below shows what is wrong with cold weather camping on a hunt.
Looks like it wasn't cold enough or they could have driven on deep frozen mud.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
What that picture says to me is poor judgement and planning........
We camp/hunt during the winter also and never have to run generators 24/7, but we are in the lower half of NM where the sane folks live
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf