Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #1

2022 Wolf Pup 14CC and backup camera power

I've been trying to get the camera that came installed on my WolfPup.

The tow vehicle needs to be connected to the cable on the front of the camper.

I did that, but I still cannot measure any voltage between the camera's power leads. I understand that this happens when the "running lights" are connected.

My question is: What must I do in the cab of the towing vehicle (in my case a Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner with complete tow package)? With or without the truck's engine running, I can still not measure any power to the camera.

Is it possible that the camera only receives power when my truck is backing up? Surely not! That would mean that every time I try to backup, I would have to wait for the camera to reconnect. Moving the truck forward in order to reposition the camper would cause the camera to lose power.

I decided to remove the camera, then connect an old 12VDC laptop power supply to the camera's power leads. This cause the camera to start working!

In short, what must happen for the camera to recieve power through the truck's towing connector?

Since I can put the camera online and see the image it sees, my suspicions return to the WolfPup's camera wiring.
protonguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:03 PM   #2

The trailers I've owned and have heard people talk about the pre wired camera is connected to the trailer's "running lights" as you called them or what I call parking lights. That means you need to turn on the lights in your truck. Just the parking light s should be enough, but when traveling I always turn on my headlights.

You should make sure you Toyota will turn on the lights if its not running. Sometime they don't.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:04 PM   #3

Mine was wired to the trucks running lights. Meaning you have to have the trucks lights on (and therefore the lights on the camper) for the camera to work. You should see the marker lights for the trailer on as well.
IonicBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes the truck's headlights have be in the ON position, not on Auto position.
Didn't the dealer go over that, during the PDI/walk-through?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonguitar View Post
I've been trying to get the camera that came installed on my WolfPup.

The tow vehicle needs to be connected to the cable on the front of the camper.

I did that, but I still cannot measure any voltage between the camera's power leads. I understand that this happens when the "running lights" are connected.

My question is: What must I do in the cab of the towing vehicle (in my case a Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner with complete tow package)? With or without the truck's engine running, I can still not measure any power to the camera.

Is it possible that the camera only receives power when my truck is backing up? Surely not! That would mean that every time I try to backup, I would have to wait for the camera to reconnect. Moving the truck forward in order to reposition the camper would cause the camera to lose power.

I decided to remove the camera, then connect an old 12VDC laptop power supply to the camera's power leads. This cause the camera to start working!

In short, what must happen for the camera to recieve power through the truck's towing connector?

Since I can put the camera online and see the image it sees, my suspicions return to the WolfPup's camera wiring.
1. Firstly, is this a Furrion wireless camera?

2. If it is, it is connected to the TT (travel trailer) running lights that are activated when you turn on the running lights in the pickup truck. It should work both when backing up as well as when you are traveling down the highway.

So, if the TT outside running lights work, you should be getting power to the camera.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #6

No. Though the camper is a 2022 model, I purchased second-hand from a friend.
protonguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:24 PM   #7

Lights need to be ON to power the camera.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:45 PM   #8

I had a tow vehicle that did the same thing. Turned out the tow vehicle electronics wouldn't allow enough amperage to power up camera. Some type of built in protection against overloading circuit. Use a voltmeter to measure voltage at the wires that connect to the camera, do this with the running lights on. You may see voltage, but camera won't work. Eventually found a different 12-volt source and camera worked fine.
Rotarydial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Lights need to be ON to power the camera.
And not on the AUTO setting
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #10

Forgive what might be a silly question, but are the running lights actually on? Your original post didn't say. As others have said, turn the headlights on manually, and make sure the running lights are on first.

I also have a Wolf Pup 14CC, and the backup camera is a bit fussy to use. It involves a few steps, like making sure the lights are on, then having to exit out of the OneControl app to go into my phone's network settings, scanning for the wi-fi network the camera creates, going through a couple of prompts confirming there's no internet connectivity and entering the password (should be a sticker on the camera or next to the control panel), and then you can use it from the OneControl app.

Tags
camera, power, wolf pup