Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Tps
Constantly Confused

22RR shower floor pan

I'm used to a rigid floor in a shower. Our floor seems flexible, and flexes about .5" when you step on it before you hit 'hard', what I'm guessing is wood. Is this normal, or was this mis-installed? Sees like after a while it will crack and leak a whole shower worth of water into the bathroom...
Tps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #2

1/2 inch seems to be allot of flex, most shower pan do flex some. If you are concerned drop the under trailer covering by the shower and take a look. it may be something as simple as adding some rigid foam.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

I added a teak wood bath mat to my pan. Made all the difference in not only the feel but it's more rigid now and my wife likes it because it isn't slippery anymore.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #4

My 22RR does the same by the shower drain. I removed the access panel and found they cut a large hole in the floor for the drain and could not support the pan due to the hole. I plan to put a piece of plywood over the hole and add support blocks between the pan and the plywood.
TMMull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 AM   #5

SidecarFlip, can you elaborate on the teak wood mat you have in the 22RRs shower?
Thanks, you can reply here on the forum or at my hone email, stustoner@frontier.com.
Stu Stoner
Central PA
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMull View Post
My 22RR does the same by the shower drain. I removed the access panel and found they cut a large hole in the floor for the drain and could not support the pan due to the hole. I plan to put a piece of plywood over the hole and add support blocks between the pan and the plywood.
Start Here! The Shower Pan Must be supported! You will have to build a "Bridge" to span the Main floor area that was "Removed/cut out/Butchered under your shower! Then if you want to add something on the shower floor that is up to you! A Flexing Floor is a Failing Floor in a Plastic Shower! Youroo!!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

All, just looked at the shower pan on my 22RR. It has the "flex" that others above mention BUT, mine flexes down (1/4") unti it contacts the hard foam supported by plywood. It does not "flex" downward below plane and seems very solid all around (solid enough that I am not going to worry about it breaking/cracking).
Central PA
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

The shower floor in my Rockwood 2306 has a fine crack in it now and leaks water to the underneath due to this flex. For some unknown reason Forest River uses a Styrofoam layer under the shower floor. This Styrofoam compresses and does not support the floor anymore and therefore the crack. I recommend fixing any flex found in shower floors.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Start Here! The Shower Pan Must be supported! You will have to build a "Bridge" to span the Main floor area that was "Removed/cut out/Butchered under your shower! Then if you want to add something on the shower floor that is up to you! A Flexing Floor is a Failing Floor in a Plastic Shower! Youroo!!
Yer right Youroo!

I built a "bridge over the pipe and and pushed a few blocks of what I'd call high density polyurethane foam in all the areas I could reach around the drain, where you'd normally stand. Measuring for the blocks was a little tricky. Big Difference
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
Tps
Constantly Confused

Took the access panel off, and yeah, they cut a nice big neat square out, right in front. Since it's neat, i can cut half inch ply to fit, then foam, and block it up. Makes you wonder what they were thinking wen they put this in...
Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps View Post
Took the access panel off, and yeah, they cut a nice big neat square out, right in front. Since it's neat, i can cut half inch ply to fit, then foam, and block it up. Makes you wonder what they were thinking wen they put this in...
I have not checked it myself but a friend told me the "P" trap is burred down in the insulation.
TMMull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #12
Tps
Constantly Confused

This is what i see. I can fix this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20170503222008.gif
Views:	108
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	136730