Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

23pack15 or 24pack14? Can't decide

Hello

My wife and I have been back and forth between these two models for months now and cant decide which one to buy (23pack15 and 24pack14). We like the thought of simplicity with no tip out (never had a tip out) and the extra body width and toy hauler open design offers more space than our previous trailers. We also like the of slightly lighter weight for potential fuel savings, and the shorter model may possibly open up additional camp site availability/options...

But the improved interior space in both kitchen and bedroom of the 23pack15, and additional kitchen counter/drawer space might be welcomed in the long run.. Less than 1000lbs difference in weight and only 2-2.5' of additional length may not make any real difference.

Both of these trailers are slightly longer than our previous TT (26'). I drive an older dodge cummins diesel pick up so it can handle the weight ok. I'm comfortable towing and parking etc, however "extra" isn't always needed or better, when spending most of time outdoors when camping.

Any insight would be appreciated. Availability of campsites, and if we may regret the extra length and weight of the 23pack15?

thanks in advance!
Leylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

Well your not going to get an unbiased opinion from me because I just purchased the 23PACK15 last fall. If you click on my posts, you'll see many of the modifications I've already done.

I came from the same place. A Keystone 239ml which was 25.5'. I tow with a GMC Diesel 2500 Denali and it's a great match. First slide out for us also and we LOVE the additional room it provides. I was a little concerned, like you, about the extra few feet and getting it backed into campsites. It hasn't been a problem. Only real difference is it reacts a little slower to steering wheel input when backing due to the trailer wheels being further away. So I start my adjustments a little sooner. Adapted very easily.

We are the same way, most time is spent outside unless weather forces us in. We have a cooking station setup outside with the grill and the stove and about the only thing done inside is prep work which the wife does while I've getting the grill hot. We do love the significant counter space, storage in the kitchen area, Bedroom and the extra sitting room in the living/kitchen area.

For the extra 1'-1.5', it was an easy call for us. Good Luck in your decision!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

I was looking at the same two trailers. Our only draw back was the price difference. it is so nice being able to have extra room loading our Rzr in with the slide out and then being able to move it back in. The extra room makes it great for us when we have 4 grown adults staying we arent just all on top of each other. the only thing i want that neither trailer has is a couch facing the TV. the happy jack Couch bed serves us no purpose as a couch no one sits there, they face the wrong way unless eating at the table and are too small to lay on. id just assume take them out but the wife wont let me.
Toverbey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Well your not going to get an unbiased opinion from me because I just purchased the 23PACK15 last fall. If you click on my posts, you'll see many of the modifications I've already done.

I came from the same place. A Keystone 239ml which was 25.5'. I tow with a GMC Diesel 2500 Denali and it's a great match. First slide out for us also and we LOVE the additional room it provides. I was a little concerned, like you, about the extra few feet and getting it backed into campsites. It hasn't been a problem. Only real difference is it reacts a little slower to steering wheel input when backing due to the trailer wheels being further away. So I start my adjustments a little sooner. Adapted very easily.

We are the same way, most time is spent outside unless weather forces us in. We have a cooking station setup outside with the grill and the stove and about the only thing done inside is prep work which the wife does while I've getting the grill hot. We do love the significant counter space, storage in the kitchen area, Bedroom and the extra sitting room in the living/kitchen area.

For the extra 1'-1.5', it was an easy call for us. Good Luck in your decision!
Thanks for your reply, I will be sure to look up your posts and do some reading. When you book campsites what length do you tell them your trailer is? (website only has overall length, I'm unsure what the true living space length is?, most trailer model numbers tell you this, but its over 23', and its not 38'!)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toverbey21 View Post
I was looking at the same two trailers. Our only draw back was the price difference. it is so nice being able to have extra room loading our Rzr in with the slide out and then being able to move it back in. The extra room makes it great for us when we have 4 grown adults staying we arent just all on top of each other. the only thing i want that neither trailer has is a couch facing the TV. the happy jack Couch bed serves us no purpose as a couch no one sits there, they face the wrong way unless eating at the table and are too small to lay on. id just assume take them out but the wife wont let me.
They are $4000 difference at our local trailer center (unfortunately local is nearly 3 hrs away). This was of more significance until they quoted us $1900 to provide the 2 euro chairs with the 24pack14. we looked for other chairs but didn't see much that suited, yet were light enough to take onto the patio.

We completely agree with your point of view on "Couch facing the TV", This was a major drawback to most models within our price range and tow capacity limitations in Toy Haulers. The 23pack15 came with the 2 euro chairs which we find rather comfortable, and were great to move around for a clean straight on view of the TV, or taking them onto the deck. The 24pack14 also had sufficient room to place two chairs comfortably straight facing the TV, but not much room to walk past in that arrangement. Our kids or guests can bring lawn chairs if ever watching a movie.

You have a good point with the slide allowing for easier loading of toys and room to walk around when tieing loads down. Less of concern for us with quads, but you never know what the future brings.

All good points!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

We bought the 24P14 last summer but it was a weight thing for the most part that had us choosing that model, had to stay within the limits of my truck. We only load my HD Limited so there is plenty of room loading and tying that down without a slide. We have spent much more time outside under the awning than we have inside even the past week at Ohio Bike (Rain) Week. The inside works for a couple adults but could get a little cramped with more people.

I did notice at the campground we were at last week there were sites where a slide would force you to put your trailer in a very specific spot on the site because of trees along the side of the stone pad. That could be either not a huge deal depending on where you'll be spending time or it could be a major factor. I don't think you can really go wrong either way.
smkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkauffman View Post
We bought the 24P14 last summer but it was a weight thing for the most part that had us choosing that model, had to stay within the limits of my truck. We only load my HD Limited so there is plenty of room loading and tying that down without a slide. We have spent much more time outside under the awning than we have inside even the past week at Ohio Bike (Rain) Week. The inside works for a couple adults but could get a little cramped with more people.

I did notice at the campground we were at last week there were sites where a slide would force you to put your trailer in a very specific spot on the site because of trees along the side of the stone pad. That could be either not a huge deal depending on where you'll be spending time or it could be a major factor. I don't think you can really go wrong either way.
Thanks for your insight. It is Unfortunate that it rained on your vacation for bike week. We also have a Harley (street glide) which is one of the reasons for wanting a toy hauler, however with two kids and two dogs not sure how often it will come along over the next few years..
Your point on being cramped with more than two males a difference for us.

Do you have a half ton pick up to haul your trailer? You mention weight restrictions.. I initially thought we could haul with our half ton but the hitch and axle weight is max at 1100lbs using weight distribution, so I suspect we will go above with gear, propane and battery...

What’s you tongue weight loaded?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leylands View Post
Thanks for your insight. It is Unfortunate that it rained on your vacation for bike week. We also have a Harley (street glide) which is one of the reasons for wanting a toy hauler, however with two kids and two dogs not sure how often it will come along over the next few years..
Your point on being cramped with more than two males a difference for us.

Do you have a half ton pick up to haul your trailer? You mention weight restrictions.. I initially thought we could haul with our half ton but the hitch and axle weight is max at 1100lbs using weight distribution, so I suspect we will go above with gear, propane and battery...

What’s you tongue weight loaded?
I use the Tundra in my signature. There are only two of us and almost nothing else in the truck when we travel with the trailer. I load the bike toward the back of the trailer and put the cooler full of beverages and a few other chairs and things all the way against the back door to help with tongue weight. I haven't measured actual tongue weight but plan to do that sometime.
I suspect we are bumping right up against the cargo capacity for the truck along with the max tow rating. We have towed so far through Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan. If I were heading somewhere with steeper grades I would probably want a little bigger truck but we won't be in the next few years at least. The 23P15 had a 1000+ pound higher dry weight which would have put us over the max tow capacity.
smkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

After more research and everyone views to date we are leaning towards the 23pack15.

There are two dealers in our region that have the trailer in stock. One is an “RV care” dealer called Campkins north of Oshawa. And the other is called Adventure RV in Waterford (between Simcoe and Hamilton). We don’t know anything about either dealer, service, warranty response etc. Both are about the same distance from us and very close in price to each other...

Does anyone have input/experiences of either dealer?
Does anyone have input/experience on “RV Care”?