Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #21
Retired Techie

Yes on the 1200. Don't know anything about Anderson. I am using a 1200 round bar that is working fine but I am trying to give me some latitude so I don't have to empty tanks when I move.
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #22

Gotcha. I thought you were saying 1200 lbs was too light a few posts back
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #23
Retired Techie

I did but was not thinking right. 1200 ls is the amount of weight the bars are meant to compensate for. As a side note as pointed out in the etrailer info on WDF's the weight behind the axle in the truck bed also has to be compensated for. Complicates the equation.
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #24

I think the Andersen does a great job! I have never pulled a 5th wheel before. The feeling with the Andersen is the most in control I have ever felt while pulling a trailer. I forgot to measure with and without the system in use. With the Andersen the back end of the Tow vehicle did not sag nearly as much as without it, which is what you want. I also noticed the trailer did not move nearly as much while towing either. I wont use anything else for weight distribution now, it is a really great system.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #25

I'm between the andersen, equalizer, and a husky centerline ts
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #26

we also use the anderson hitch , and whoever said that it will not put enough weight on the front tires is incorrect. i love this hitch. easy set up ,quiet use , and after some trial and error with loading the anti sway feature is great. built in anti sway means you dont add tension bars and you dont have to remove them when backing up.
statticcling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #27

26rr weight distribution hitch

The equalizer will pinch the chains unless they are moved back at least on the 26rr. That is what happened to both riderbloke and me. My trailer is actually at dealer getting chains moved back. The centerline was the second option but this time I went with more expensive. Now I think could have gone with centerline and been as happy. The both are the same setup just different manufacturer. Equalizer needs to make hitch head not as wide to get better turning clearance.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by statticcling View Post
we also use the anderson hitch , and whoever said that it will not put enough weight on the front tires is incorrect. i love this hitch. easy set up ,quiet use , and after some trial and error with loading the anti sway feature is great. built in anti sway means you dont add tension bars and you dont have to remove them when backing up.
There are people on both sides of the fence. The Andersen is good, but it is not for everyone. It would not work for me, the scales proved that. I don't want to start the Andersen battle again, just want to say it didn't work for all rigs.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #29
Retired Techie

I believe mine are 1200. Loaded bike with front wheel over rear axle. Tows fine. Don't believe the 750. Weigh it.
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
Old 12-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #30

Tongue frame dimensions?

Thanks to the great contributions by the many members of this forum I am very close to buying a Cherokee 26rr. You all have been very helpful in my decision and I'm pretty sure this trailer is the right choice for me.

I'm also leaning strongly toward getting an Andersen weight distributing hitch. I've read just about everything I can find on it and think it is probably the right choice for me as well.

I'll be buying the trailer from a dealer a couple of time zones away. I'd like to order the hitch beforehand and get it set up as quickly as possible. So I have a few questions that I hope other owners can help me with:
  1. What is the vertical measurement of the frame of this trailer on the tongue in the area where a weight distributing bracket will attach? That is, what bracket should I order with the Andersen hitch?
  2. Is there any wiring or anything else in that area that I'll need to work around or relocate so that I can attach the brackets?
  3. What is the height from the ground to the bottom of your trailer coupler with the trailer level?
  4. What make and model of trailer coupler does this trailer come with? Andersen hitches seem to have a conflict with one or two particular couplers.
  5. And can you confirm that this trailer coupler uses a 2-5/16" towball?

Thanks all for your help and advice. I'm really looking forward to this purchase and getting a lot of use from this trailer.

Cheers,

-J. Brandon
jcbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbrandon View Post
Thanks to the great contributions by the many members of this forum I am very close to buying a Cherokee 26rr. You all have been very helpful in my decision and I'm pretty sure this trailer is the right choice for me.

I'm also leaning strongly toward getting an Andersen weight distributing hitch. I've read just about everything I can find on it and think it is probably the right choice for me as well.

I'll be buying the trailer from a dealer a couple of time zones away. I'd like to order the hitch beforehand and get it set up as quickly as possible. So I have a few questions that I hope other owners can help me with:

1. What is the vertical measurement of the frame of this trailer on the tongue in the area where a weight distributing bracket will attach? That is, what bracket should I order with the Andersen hitch?

2. Is there any wiring or anything else in that area that I'll need to work around or relocate so that I can attach the brackets?

3. What is the height from the ground to the bottom of your trailer coupler with the trailer level?

4. What make and model of trailer coupler does this trailer come with? Andersen hitches seem to have a conflict with one or two particular couplers.

5. And can you confirm that this trailer coupler uses a 2-5/16" towball?

Thanks all for your help and advice. I'm really looking forward to this purchase and getting a lot of use from this trailer.

Cheers,

-J. Brandon

You will love the 26rr.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #32

Depending on where the brake break away switch is, that may need relocated. I also had to cut wire ties holding wires for the power tongue Jack. I ordered the longer hitch bar to be safe and cut off the extra bit later. Guessing that Lippert makes all frames for forest river frame height would be 6". The coupler on the unit should be compatible as well. Since you're going with Andersen you cannot grease the ball and there is a good chance coupler will be greasy. The ball doesn't turn on coupler like most hitches. If it's greasy it will turn and you will get sway. Be ready for that.

Hensley Arrow
Old 12-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #33

Please don't think I'm criticizing the Andersen hitch, because I'm not. Have no experience with one, so I really don't know much about it, just what I've read here on FRF. Just trying to gain a little knowledge about this hitch. Seems as though there quite a few variables with this hitch that have to be addressed in order to use one. It doesn't seem to be very easy or simple to use; kind of complicated in fact.
I do use a different hitch & it works very well. Easy to set up & use, even for me.
Good luck with which ever hitch you decide to use & happy camping.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Please don't think I'm criticizing the Andersen hitch, because I'm not. Have no experience with one, so I really don't know much about it, just what I've read here on FRF. Just trying to gain a little knowledge about this hitch. Seems as though there quite a few variables with this hitch that have to be addressed in order to use one. It doesn't seem to be very easy or simple to use; kind of complicated in fact.
I do use a different hitch & it works very well. Easy to set up & use, even for me.
Good luck with which ever hitch you decide to use & happy camping.
Well it is a simple system, if it works for you. Hitch the ball, slide chains into brackets and install the nuts tighten you're done. OK its not that simple, you got to get the triangle plate square to the hitch. Option 2 is hitch and unhitch with TV at the exact same angle each time, piece of cake right? You know,you right it might be complicated.

Hensley Arrow
Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #35

Hi JCBrandon,
Yes, it is a 2 5/16" ball.

I love this system! All the things I don't like about the spring systems are gone.
Comparing this to a spring bar system is like comparing apples to oranges for sure.
There is no prefect system that will work for everyone.
The setup, install and removal are completely different to accomplish the goal.
I have only used it a couple of times but it is not that tough.
I think the biggest problem is lining up the triangular plate, I plan on buying a bar so I can straighten it out. They say it does not have to be perfect but cant be way off.

I too ordered the 8" kit #3380 and cut off the extra, I could have used the 4" kit.
If you can cut it off yourself, it is a safe bet to get the 8", same price. I can throw the hitch on my truck and measure it so you will have a ball park. Unless your truck is really low or high, I think the 4" will work.
I did not have to move anything to mount it, fit great behind the propane tanks.
If you can, plan on putting the weld on the back of the bracket on the frame.
There is a lot of tension on the chains while towing, they pulled forward on me so I plan to weld it up. There is a set screw but it is on the top, they recommend drilling a hole which might work, I think it slipped, I have a welder, I know that will work!
Steve...
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #36

Thank you. Greatly appreciate the responses.

Pretty sure I'll need an 8-inch drop shank. The top of the receiver on my pickup (a Dodge Power Wagon) is 23-1/2" above the ground.

I've got a bit of angst about buying this trailer remotely, ordering a hitch system, and getting everything set up correctly before hauling the trailer back across the country. I didn't like the hitch system the dealer wanted to sell me, so I need to be much more self-sufficient when I pick up the trailer. Insights from other owners are very helpful with that.
jcbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #37

jcbrandon
Have you looked into the Blue Ox Sway Pro? MUCH easier to set up & install, & it really does a great job. If you are going that far to pick up your TT, all you will need is a couple of wrenches. The only thing you may have to do is adjust the number of chain links you catch, & that is very easy. Yes it does use spring bars, but no need to unhook to back up, no noise, & no problem with grease.
Just a thought.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #38

I used the blue ox sway pro.

Great hitch.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #39

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I used the blue ox sway pro.

Great hitch.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #40

I have no experience with BO nor A. But you could PM Play Harder he loves his pulling an XLR 29HFS like I do. He is a good source for honest evaluation on the Anderson. Frankly I'm about to sell my Reese dual-cam and try to find a Propride or Hensley... if no; then A or BO.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight