Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

294RR Hitch Weight

Hello!

We are considering the Cherokee 294RR model and in looking at the specs on the website, I see that the GVWR is 11380lbs with a hitch weight listed at 1180lbs.

Am I correct in thinking that this hitch weight is based off of the GVWR and not the 6879lb UVW? So with that UVW the hitch weight would be around 700lbs?

OR...

Is hitch weight starting at 1180lbs and goes up from there as the trailer is loaded?
camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #2

If the specs say 1180 then that is the hitch weight empty.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
If the specs say 1180 then that is the hitch weight empty.
Correct! Stated hitch weight is the hitch weight as it comes from the factory. Know that that does not include full propane tanks or batteries which are dealer installed items (almost always).

If you are considering it, you need to know that the hitch weight of most TT style toy haulers will be in the 10%-18% of the final weight of the trailer. The actual % will depend on what you are hauling (its weight) and how you load it (forward or back) in the parking garage.

My Toyhauler drives like crap if I load the golf cart (1000lbs) too far to the rear as it lightens my tongue weight too much and wants to sway. I load it as far forward as I can and also fill my water tanks which ar in front the trailer axles to get to 15% tongue weight and make the trailer ride nicely.

So your final tongue weight if you have the trailer maxed out at that 11380 mark could be anywhere between 1100 lbs (likely too light to ride well like my situation above) and 2000 lbs (maybe a payload/CCC concern depending on your tow vehicle).

Check the payload sticker on your door and make sure you have enough tow vehicle cargo carrying capacity on that sticker for your estimated tongue weight, your passengers and anything else your going to put inside the truck cab or bed.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! That helps! Seems like on this trailer the tongue weight is a little heavier unloaded than some others in the same general size and weight. I was wondering/hoping that would be the weight at GVW.

Appreciate it!
Old 05-16-2020, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Thanks for the replies! That helps! Seems like on this trailer the tongue weight is a little heavier unloaded than some others in the same general size and weight. I was wondering/hoping that would be the weight at GVW.

Appreciate it!

Toy haulers are generally really tongue heavy empty because the load at the back will lighten the tongue weight.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Correct! Stated hitch weight is the hitch weight as it comes from the factory. Know that that does not include full propane tanks or batteries which are dealer installed items (almost always).

If you are considering it, you need to know that the hitch weight of most TT style toy haulers will be in the 10%-18% of the final weight of the trailer. The actual % will depend on what you are hauling (its weight) and how you load it (forward or back) in the parking garage.

My Toyhauler drives like crap if I load the golf cart (1000lbs) too far to the rear as it lightens my tongue weight too much and wants to sway. I load it as far forward as I can and also fill my water tanks which ar in front the trailer axles to get to 15% tongue weight and make the trailer ride nicely.

So your final tongue weight if you have the trailer maxed out at that 11380 mark could be anywhere between 1100 lbs (likely too light to ride well like my situation above) and 2000 lbs (maybe a payload/CCC concern depending on your tow vehicle).

Check the payload sticker on your door and make sure you have enough tow vehicle cargo carrying capacity on that sticker for your estimated tongue weight, your passengers and anything else your going to put inside the truck cab or bed.
Good info here ^^^ also I suggest you do your homework on which hitch you choose. Our dealer didn't have a suitable hitch available for our toy haulers loaded tongue weight, We had to do our own research and have them order the hitch we chose. Tongue weights will change more with a toy hauler than with a regular travel trailer. You want to make sure your hitch is also rated for your "loaded tongue weight", and not just your "empty tongue weight" as listed.

CincyGus, do you happen to have any photos or measurements of your golf cart loaded? curious how far forward you pushed it, if you were able to walk around it to use the fridge/sink while travelling? We have the same trailer, and would help to build off experience to begin our trial and error when loading our Harley (haven't taken it with us yet...). Thanks!
Leylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leylands View Post
Good info here ^^^ also I suggest you do your homework on which hitch you choose. Our dealer didn't have a suitable hitch available for our toy haulers loaded tongue weight, We had to do our own research and have them order the hitch we chose. Tongue weights will change more with a toy hauler than with a regular travel trailer. You want to make sure your hitch is also rated for your "loaded tongue weight", and not just your "empty tongue weight" as listed.

CincyGus, do you happen to have any photos or measurements of your golf cart loaded? curious how far forward you pushed it, if you were able to walk around it to use the fridge/sink while travelling? We have the same trailer, and would help to build off experience to begin our trial and error when loading our Harley (haven't taken it with us yet...). Thanks!
We did go ahead and purchase this trailer, it was the one the wife liked. Currently have a Toyota Tundra, but actively in the process of truck shopping for a 3/4 or 1 ton. I purchased a tongue weight scale and used it this weekend. Found that with the propane tanks and battery installed, it is right at that advertised spec of 1180lbs. I had my 230lb son stand in the back of the trailer and watched the scale drop to just under 1100. I'm sure once there are three motorcycles back there (about 1200lbs total) I'll need some ballast up front. By the way, if you are at all interested, those Sherline scales are very handy!

As for a hitch, you are absolutely right. The dealer wanted to install a 1000/10000 lb Equal-I-Zer hitch (which is the brand I wanted) but I had them hold off. Called the company and they recommended the 1400/14000 size and that should be here tomorrow or Wednesday so I'm glad I asked them and didn't rely on the dealer.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:

Here ya go!

[IMG]
Click For Full-Size Image.[/IMG]

And yes, I park it as close to the passenger side wall as the cabinets allow which gives me room to open the fridge enough to get in and get anything I need. Leaves me about 1-1.5' in front and on the fridge side and a bunch of space behind it.

I try to put only lighter stuff behind the golf cart to not defeat the purpose of loading forward. Like I said, use the water tank and how full you fill it as a way to help control and get enough tongue weight.

Took a while to figure it out. Towed home from the dealership fantastic empty. Loaded it for camping and the first trip out had the cart in it was a handful. Moved the cart forward and filled the tank about half full and it's done better since then.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the picture, your cart fits nicely. I like how you load up your cart before loading it. Do you have room to walk in front of your cart when loaded or do you have to enter through the rear door?
Old 05-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
We did go ahead and purchase this trailer, it was the one the wife liked. Currently have a Toyota Tundra, but actively in the process of truck shopping for a 3/4 or 1 ton. I purchased a tongue weight scale and used it this weekend. Found that with the propane tanks and battery installed, it is right at that advertised spec of 1180lbs. I had my 230lb son stand in the back of the trailer and watched the scale drop to just under 1100. I'm sure once there are three motorcycles back there (about 1200lbs total) I'll need some ballast up front. By the way, if you are at all interested, those Sherline scales are very handy!

As for a hitch, you are absolutely right. The dealer wanted to install a 1000/10000 lb Equal-I-Zer hitch (which is the brand I wanted) but I had them hold off. Called the company and they recommended the 1400/14000 size and that should be here tomorrow or Wednesday so I'm glad I asked them and didn't rely on the dealer.
Did your new hitch arrive? Curious how your trailer handles with the 1400lb equalizer when loaded
Leylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Did your new hitch arrive? Curious how your trailer handles with the 1400lb equalizer when loaded
It did and I got it installed and adjusted this evening. It brought the front end back down to where it measured without anything coupled to the hitch. It brought the rear up 1 1/2” and the trailer is now level. It drives MUCH better. Mind you, the truck is still too soft for this trailer, but it is manageable and as long as I stay under the max payload (which for this truck is close with the trailer hitched) it will be ok until I can replace it.

I’m definitely happy with the hitch!

Tags
hitch, weight