Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #1

Added some power

Decided today was the day to unpack the storage and crawl up like a pretzel to fit a new battery and finally install the new power inverter. Added a new SZ31 130 aH battery beside the hot water tank, lead 4 ga power and ground down and out to the external tongue mounted sz 27 battery. 2000w inverter was then mounted above the battery allowing room for a second battery in the future if required. My goal or intention is to just have a few minutes of power for those times early in the morning or late at night when you dont want to ruin the silence by running a generator. Tomorrow i am going to tackle figuring out the hydro situation, my goal is to have the kitchen GFI plugs, and perhaps the external plug run off the inverter when the gennie is not running.

Now is where i reach out and see if anyone has been into their fuse panel or circuit break area under the fridge yet, before i open mine to investigate? My unit is a 26 MBRR, not sure if other units are the same or not in the fuse area?

Still need to clean up and also install a battery hold down strap but under the bed is almost ready to pack again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	305693604_1051793138814959_1068796613804999640_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	279021   Click image for larger version

Name:	305841698_458688482988402_3654600605982545775_n.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	279022  
CSULYMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:39 PM   #2

My solution to this problem was to simply plug the whole of the RV into the inverter rather than the generator. This way all 120V devices in the RV can have power. I open the converter breaker so as to not turn the battery down by trying to charge the battery from the battery. I also don't run power hungry things like the electric heat or the water heater or A/C when on the inverter. Lots of smaller things like an electric toothbrush charger have power. Very convenient.

You mention #4 to the original battery but don't mention wire size to the inverter. In the photo that wire does not look large enough. A 2000W inverter will require as much as 2400W input. That's around 200 amps on a lead acid battery. Garden variety #4 is only good for about 100 amps.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #3

OK, got into it a bit more today, 2 sets of wires ran from the storage compartment to the backside of the fuse panel, a few screws and the the whole unit slides out with lots of access from behind. A little disappointed to see the butchery in behind and under the cabinets and the mess left from construction, but that's another story. Installed a power switch, I forget the technical name, that will allow the same circuitry to run on either the inverter or shore power. I opted to wire to one 15A breaker which is the GFI breaker for the kitchen and the outlet outside. I also wired in a single new outlet in the bedroom for any overnight power we might require. Still have a bit of wiring to hid behind CableCover, but currently i am waiting for the black paint to dry. I also added a cable grommet in the bedroom compartments for the Starlink Cables to run to make setup faster and easier.
CSULYMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power