Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #1

Apollumi's awesome 25RR TV Mount

First, the finished result. Please excuse the cords, I was just hooking it up after the camping trip so I could take pictures of what was done and what it looked like with the 32” TV in place. In hindsight, and with regret, I realized I could have put a 40” flat screen in. Hah.. I made the mistake of calculating what would fit by using the measurements online that included the stand. Sheesh.

Here is the stand by itself.

It had started out concept wise as a purely wooden “T” for the monitor. As I struggled with the thought of it having to “flex” in the heat plus movement and be as light as possible the design changed unexpectedly for the better. I had meticulously stained my lightweight pine boards with honey oak over the period of three days (three coats). Then the articulating arm mount for the monitor came in. It was heavier than I expected and those lag bolts probably should be used and they probably needed to get some bite going on. So I cut an end off the top part of my “T” to double up the thickness above the back of the couch.

Then I anchored it with some brass wood working screws. Hard to tell from the pictures but with the polyurethane on it the color is deep and rich. The brass screw heads shining through actually don’t look bad at all.

If you look above you’ll notice I put adhesive felt padding onto the articulating arm. This is so that when it moves going down the road it won’t damage the woodwork I’d spent 4 or so days on. And that would be a true shame. The monitor is easy to mount and take off. The 32” TV I’m using spends most of its time in the bedroom.

So anyway, at this point I had ruined my wooden “T” by hacking part of the top section off. I didn’t want to spend another 4 days waiting to put the thing together. I had a few ideas so after consulting store inventory at Lowes off I went.

When I got to Lowes it was obvious they didn't have accurate online store inventory against what I was looking for to make a footing. They had a piece of aluminum angle that was actually wider but the gauge wasn't as thick and this new one was 8 foot long. I just wanted to use it to distribute the weight on the bottom. As I sat looking in disappointment at the inventory snafu an idea started to dawn on me. Slowly my eyebrows began to move up my forehead as the idea solidified. Then "BAM", my eyebrows popped into the fully upright position and I snatched the wider aluminum angle piece, all 8 foot of it. After pulling it out of the rack I went clattering down the aisle with a giggle.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

So the top part of my “T” became aluminum. As long as the aluminum didn’t twist it was strong and very light. It could also flex under a load and not break. Perfect. In order to mount it to the ends of the helmet rack I simply cut down the center of the 90 degree bend of the angle aluminum with my dremel tool. Then I folded both ends over each other (hammered down over a cinder block) and drilled a hole down the center of both tabs. To anchor it I just used a bolt with some wing nuts and lock washers. The bolt goes through the end caps of the helmet rack btw. On the left side of the aluminum I put some adhesive hooks to hold the cables. On the back of the aluminum I put circular adhesive felt pads so it wouldn’t mark the walls.

Out of pure laziness I used a couple of “L” brackets to anchor the bottom. The piece of aluminum I had cut off to get the right length for the top became the piece to spread the load out on the bottom.

After putting a monitor on it I noticed the articulating arm comes out a long ways. I can face the LCD monitor 90 degrees front or back. This makes the monitor very easy to mount and remove. I can point the monitor any place in the camper I want.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

And it spins so if I’m in the mood to edit one very large windows document I can spin the monitor on it’s side.

But enough of that. Time to remove the back cushion from the other couch, lay back, and watch some boob tube.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Forgot to show how small the mount is on the monitor when removed from the arm. I unhook the monitor and take it back to the bedroom and put it back on the stand. I'm a fan of multiple use.

note: Thought I'd mention that I wish I would have moved the mount back towards the ramp. This would have allowed the TV to have been flat against the ramp almost. It would have centered on the "couches made into a bed" also by moving it all the way to the left. I don't really entertain other bipedal hairless simians though so I'm good with what I have.

It's awesome to lie down in that big bed and tilt the widescreen down a little to snuggle with my wife and watch a movie.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

Nice! That must be like going to a movie theater!
Gquist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tv mount