Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #1

cargo opening "tent" closure

I have been getting my new 255RR Toy Hauler ready for camping season and have become confused on the rear door "tent"camper enclosure.
My confusion is that when down, the flaps that cover the screened area are on the inside.
I have seen pics on the internet with the flaps like mine on the inside and pics with the flaps on the outside.
It seems that in a wind/rain event the flaps on the inside would let the wind/rain come into the camper.
versus with the flaps on the outside it seems that the wind/rain would be better blocked from coming in.
Called dealer and they indicated that the flaps on the inside is the correct installation.
Taking a closer look. the "tent" curtain appears to be attached at the top with a screwed on metal strip that has a bulb slide that the curtain slides into. Looks like it would be easily swapped around.
Anybody else out there seem to share my confusion on this.
Or anybody out there that has them on the inside and can share whether or not this is a problem.
I might just be over thinking it.
Thanks for any inputs.
Mule
Muletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:26 AM   #2

Not sure this helpful, but at least you know someone read the msg. Have a ‘17 26rr, has the screen/tent closure thingy. Goes in by Velcro on inside. I have always treated it as fair wx and shut ramp if rain or wind was indicated. Mostly a screen door when I use.
dad924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
(o˘◡˘o)

If it starts to rain, I shut my ramp door.
FYI
From a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
Ok - finally got a response from the factory.

My question was ...
"We have a 2016 Vengeance 25V with the deck/patio kit. Is the ramp water proof? I'm not talking about days and days of rain or using it like a boat ramp but if it gets rained on while camping or loading/unloading, do we have to worry about it for the long term?"

Their response ...
"These ramp doors are not 100% water proof. You can lower and load in the rain, and if you have the patio system up and it starts to rain, then you better close it soon. If it gets wet, you are OK. But I would not leave it open an extended amount of time. Water will finally seep into the inside of the door, and if enough water gets in, then your door will start to swell, and have issues. I did however like your boat ramp scenario… That was good."

And to think, when I asked the dealer they told me the rain won't be a problem ... good thing I don't believe most of what the dealer says!

So, what this says to me is I need to seal the door better (caulking or DYI bedliner, etc) so I don't have to worry about this, as much, down the road (as in years not mileage).

Thanks all!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #4

Hey guys, Thanks for replies. Not sure which way I will go on this. Probably get a little time in it under my belt and go from there.
As far as leaving the door open during a three day soaker or any extended rain event, I agree that keeping it closed would be the wise thing to do. I was thinking more along the lines of one of the pop up showers that happen in Florida when you have just ran out to the store for some quick things.
DW really likes the patio feature and will drive me nuts if I have to up and down it on every passing cloud. I probably would rather throw a plastic tarp over it then move chairs and stuff then fold the rails and then up and down with the door.
Again appreciate the inputs.
I am ready to get out and use this thing.
Mule
Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

You don't have to reverse the awning rail to flip the screen wall. Just slide it out of the rail. Hopefully they gave you enough space to slide it out otherwise you will have to unscrew it to slide it out of the rail.

The real issue is the velcro that attaches it to the wall will be on the wrong side now. Also I don't know about yours but on mine the bottom doesn't attach to the floor so any wind pushes the wall a bit inside. I've thought about adding more velcro or snaps to the floor then sew some velcro or snaps to the screen wall but then that is potentially damaged when loading/unloading.
sandvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #6

Sandvike, it looks pretty tight up there to slide it out in place. Dropping the metal strip looks much easier. Your right that the Velcro would then be on the wrong side.
Might be easier to make up a couple of covers that could Velcro on the outside over the screen area.
Thanks for reply.
Mule

Tags
cargo