Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Cherokee 255rr 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

i can't bump an old thread. The 255rr really peaks my interest due to it being a lighter 5'er toy hauler and not being 40' long at the same time.

Does it ride well? I've seen the newer units now can come with a bed that comes down from the ceiling in the back!

Do the older units come with the electric only fridge? I'm very hesitant on the electric only fridge.

Anyone else have this rig and have any issues?
OutlanderWolfPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #2

Looked at one last weekend, a definite contender for our next hauler. Some things I liked and some things I didn’t like but it be good to hear more “real world” feelings about the 255rr.
Klitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

We have the 110vt only refg, so far its been good, I did upgrade to a group 29 battery, but we don't do any dry camping. We do occasionally sleep the night in a rest area and the battery has kept the refg. running all night
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbunch1630 View Post
We have the 110vt only refg, so far its been good, I did upgrade to a group 29 battery, but we don't do any dry camping. We do occasionally sleep the night in a rest area and the battery has kept the refg. running all night

Good to know, yea I am beginning to think that even with a couple batteries it should be good. We only dry camp so that was a concern for us. Friend of ours has a 40ft Genesis with the Electric fridge and it was problematic for him until he put in several batteries and a couple nice solar panels.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
RV There Yet?

following for more info
Old 01-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

Have a 2020 255RR Black Label, picked it up in April just as Michigan was shutting everything down due to the virus.

We picked this model specifically because of having no slides. Park, level and done. Coming from a 18’ Work and Play this thing is a mansion. Lots of interior cabinet space and a good size closet/pantry. Many of the cabinets are high but I keep a small step ladder in the closet.

We ordered the rig with the HappiJac power lift bed in the back. It didn’t show up on the options sheet but we asked and dealer confirmed it could be ordered. A big thumbs up to Petoskey RV USA, they were fantastic to work with.

The fridge is a Furrion 12 volt only and is my only complaint – The fan is LOUD.

No issues towing, but I am pulling with a F-250 diesel, 6.5’ box with a Reese Elite slider hitch. Be aware – This thing is tall, 13’ 6”, I pay a lot more attention to clearance now!

A few upgrades:
  • Added lights to the bottom of the HappiJac bed.
  • Replaced the factory battery with two group 27’s – Wish I could afford lithium.
  • Added a 1000 watt inverter and circuit transfer switch.
  • Added a pair of power/current meters to track charge/discharge.
  • Replaced hinges on benches in back with knock-downs. Makes them easy to completely remove.
  • Plan on adding additional solar this spring. The 50 watt panel from the factory comes nowhere close to keeping up with the fridge.
Tows great, easy to set up, and has lots of storage and living space.
Hope this helps.

Chuck
ocm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocm3 View Post
Have a 2020 255RR Black Label, picked it up in April just as Michigan was shutting everything down due to the virus.

We picked this model specifically because of having no slides. Park, level and done. Coming from a 18’ Work and Play this thing is a mansion. Lots of interior cabinet space and a good size closet/pantry. Many of the cabinets are high but I keep a small step ladder in the closet.

We ordered the rig with the HappiJac power lift bed in the back. It didn’t show up on the options sheet but we asked and dealer confirmed it could be ordered. A big thumbs up to Petoskey RV USA, they were fantastic to work with.

The fridge is a Furrion 12 volt only and is my only complaint – The fan is LOUD.

No issues towing, but I am pulling with a F-250 diesel, 6.5’ box with a Reese Elite slider hitch. Be aware – This thing is tall, 13’ 6”, I pay a lot more attention to clearance now!

A few upgrades:
  • Replaced the factory battery with two group 27’s – Wish I could afford lithium.
  • Replaced hinges on benches in back with knock-downs. Makes them easy to completely remove.
  • Plan on adding additional solar this spring. The 50 watt panel from the factory comes nowhere close to keeping up with the fridge.
Hope this helps.

Chuck

That helps a lot. We will be coming from an Attitude 19fb. Same cargo space as the 255, which suits us perfect. We are looking for more storage and a dedicated bedroom. This trailer fits the bill. Love how it has no slides, it’s fairly light and right at 30ft. Crazy amount of storage which the wife was happy about. Interested in the solar/inverter/battery setup you are running. Mind sharing a few pics??
Old 01-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocm3 View Post

A few upgrades:
Hope this helps.

Chuck

What type of light did you go with under the Happijac bed ? Looking for a better idea.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #9

Inverter is a Go Power GP-ISW1000 mounted in the pass-thru storage area with a battery cut off switch. I also installed a remote control head in the panel under the fridge next to the trailers main battery switch along with a 120v circuit transfer switch. Not all 120v circuits transfer to the inverter – only inside outlets. I also added additional battery switches at the battery bank and swapped out the main fuses with circuit breakers. All are mounted on a panel in the forward storage compartment.

I have not yet done anything with the solar – That is still in the research phase. I would like to increase the capacity to 300+ watts with a mppt controller. Factory setup is a 50 watt panel and a pwm controller. One of the big hurdles is wiring from the roof to the battery. The existing wires will not handle the current of a larger array.

The lights under the lift bed are just a pair of low profile led rv lights I picked up on Amazon. Wiring was the creative part. The trailer came with lighted speakers in the ceiling on their own switched circuit. I disconnected the speaker lights and fished wiring back to the starboard front bed lift rail and terminated with an Anderson Power Pole connector. The bed is a hollow core box and I ran the wires from the lights inside the core to the edge next the lift rail. The wire then follows the lift rail to the ceiling. The power pole connector also works as a breakaway in case anything catches.

I would post pics if I could. Currently all I see outside is ice and snow, and the trailer is in storage and won’t see daylight for a couple of months.
ocm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the info ocm3[emoji1417][emoji1417]

Tags
255, 5th wheel, cherokee, toy hauler, wheel