Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #1

E-Track voids Warranties??

I just purchased a Gray Wolf 27RR toyhauler last month for the purpose of taking my Harley with us when we go places. I have an e-track wheel chock that I use in my cargo trailer that I want to use in the toy hauler, but apparently bolting a section of e-track to the floor in the garage will void any and all warranties?

With this revelation that I received in an email from Forest River, what kind of front wheel chock are y'all using for your larger bikes? Just use a Condor Pit Stop that will just sit there on the floor and hope it doesn't move?
Mikeusnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I do't have a toy hauler but when I have hauled my ultra classic I use my wheel dock secured to the floor of a cargo trailer. I have a hard time believing FR would try to void any and all warranties (maybe warranty on floor in that area but any and all?) JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

I had emailed them asking asking about this before posting here and this is the reply I got:

"I did speak with a warranty rep, they advised that bolting that down would void any warranties on your unit."

I just ordered a Condor PitStop and will just set it in there on the floor and call it good. Only need to keep the front tire straight and from moving around. Straps will hold the bike just fine. Now just need to figure out a way to get the bike (Ultra Classic) into the thing.. When on flat ground, the angle of the ramp is too steep and the bike hi-centers at the hinge point. Thinking I might need to put some jack stands under the ramp then use my tri-fold ramp as well .
Old 11-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeusnret View Post
I just purchased a Gray Wolf 27RR toyhauler last month for the purpose of taking my Harley with us when we go places. I have an e-track wheel chock that I use in my cargo trailer that I want to use in the toy hauler, but apparently bolting a section of e-track to the floor in the garage will void any and all warranties?

With this revelation that I received in an email from Forest River, what kind of front wheel chock are y'all using for your larger bikes? Just use a Condor Pit Stop that will just sit there on the floor and hope it doesn't move?
Attaching your E-track will not void warranties . apparently the warranty rep does not know the laws regarding warranties .check the Magnuson-Moss warranty act
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
I had emailed them asking asking about this before posting here and this is the reply I got:

"I did speak with a warranty rep, they advised that bolting that down would void any warranties on your unit."

I just ordered a Condor PitStop and will just set it in there on the floor and call it good. Only need to keep the front tire straight and from moving around. Straps will hold the bike just fine. Now just need to figure out a way to get the bike (Ultra Classic) into the thing.. When on flat ground, the angle of the ramp is too steep and the bike hi-centers at the hinge point. Thinking I might need to put some jack stands under the ramp then use my tri-fold ramp as well .
You could also raise the front of your rig up with the tongue jack to lessen the angle might be worth a try.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #6

When we travel with two Suzuki C50s we strapped the front tires on a free standing wheel chock and strapped the wheel chocks from sliding forward. Then handle bars compressing shocks half way and back tire down and side to side.
We would stop every hour to check the straps, wish they had self ratcheting straps.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
REL

I use a beast rack for my bikes.

https://beastracks.com/
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Attaching your E-track will not void warranties . apparently the warranty rep does not know the laws regarding warranties .check the Magnuson-Moss warranty act

Mr.M is exactly correct. There is virtually *nothing* that you could do to your trailer that would "void any and all warranties".

If you install an unapproved aftermarket part, and your trailer is damaged by either the part itself or the installation, then the manufacturer is within their rights to deny warranty coverage *for that damage*.

If you think about this, it makes sense. A warranty isn't a "free maintenance and repair contract", it is an agreement that the manufacturer will repair defects in their materials and workmanship.

If you bolt a chock to your floor but don't properly reinforce the attachment points, and the bolts pull through, it's not the manufacturer's responsibility to repair your floor. Likewise, if you drill through your floor to install the chock and don't take steps to prevent water intrusion in those non-factory holes, then the manufacturer isn't responsible to repair the floor when it rots out. That's not a defect in materials or workmanship.

But if you bolt a chock to your floor, and then sometime later the furnace or refrigerator stops working, they can't deny warranty on that based on your installation of the chock (unless you damaged electric or gas lines during your install). In fact, if the manufacturer denies warranty based on the presence of an aftermarket part, they must *prove* that the aftermarket part *caused* the failure.

The Magnuson-Moss act is *very* clear on this subject.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #9

As far as loading your bike, I really like this idea to lessen the angle and plan to use it next year on my trips. Easy to setup and easy to store.

https://youtu.be/T3z8Lur8vTw
Old 11-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
As far as loading your bike, I really like this idea to lessen the angle and plan to use it next year on my trips. Easy to setup and easy to store.

https://youtu.be/T3z8Lur8vTw

Too much extra stuff and work, raising the front of the RV to it highest point works great.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Mr.M is exactly correct. There is virtually *nothing* that you could do to your trailer that would "void any and all warranties".

Correct, but Forest River has the warranty, and the hoops one needs to jump through to have a claim against it, structured so its essentially worthless, or at least so much of a PITA most will just give up. A simple warranty issue results in your rig being tied up on some dealers back lot for weeks or months in most cases. The reality is going after Forest River, whose legal dept has deep pockets, using the Magnuson-Moss warranty act is a pipe dream.
Canto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #12

If the E track Wheel chuck pulls the bolts through the floor it would not be covered by warranty.
if the E track wheel chuck bents the sub floor framing, it would not be covered by warranty.

But if you installed the E track wheel chuck and the water pump went bad, I would expect the water pump to be covered under warranty.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Too much extra stuff and work, raising the front of the RV to it highest point works great.
How is it that much extra work? All that was really done was to put 2 jack stands fully extended under each side of the ramp and then place the extra loading ramp in place. I'll bet it wouldn't take any extra time than it would take for the tongue jack to fully extend. Might actually be quicker. And then by fully extending the tongue jack and raising front of the toyhauler, you will have to load the entire way at an extreme angle. It is the way I have done it but feels quite awkward and not real thrilled doing it that way. The whole point of using the jack stands and extra loading ramp is that you would now be able to pull into a leveled trailer and stopping at a much safer position instead of finishing angled upward. And at a much reduced angle which would be a lot more comfortable to do. A couple seconds later and you would have the extended ramp down and jack stands removed. Whether using the fully extended tongue jack method or jack stands and extended ramp, there will be extra steps to make the loading and unloading as safe as possible.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #14

Everyone has there own preferences and styles.
I found by pushing one button I can make the rear of my RV less than 12” from the ground, sometimes less if the site is on a slope. ( I do need to be cautious, bent the license plate once)

Carrying jack stands and ramps is just an extra hassle that I don’t need or want.
Another thing about the video is he only used two jack stands. Not sure that edge can handle 2000# between jack stands. But it might be a super heavy duty ramp on that RV, not sure what he’s hauling.My ramp has 4 bumpers for that edge. I would want 4 stands if I did this set up.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto View Post
Correct, but Forest River has the warranty, and the hoops one needs to jump through to have a claim against it, structured so its essentially worthless, or at least so much of a PITA most will just give up. A simple warranty issue results in your rig being tied up on some dealers back lot for weeks or months in most cases. The reality is going after Forest River, whose legal dept has deep pockets, using the Magnuson-Moss warranty act is a pipe dream.
No it's not ! it's attitudes like this that confuse and is lead people into thinking wrongly about a warranty .... in no way, shape or form will adding after market cause a disruption in warranty service cause delays or anything else unless your after market whatever caused the problem and it is obvious .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Everyone has there own preferences and styles.
I found by pushing one button I can make the rear of my RV less than 12” from the ground, sometimes less if the site is on a slope. ( I do need to be cautious, bent the license plate once)

Carrying jack stands and ramps is just an extra hassle that I don’t need or want.
Another thing about the video is he only used two jack stands. Not sure that edge can handle 2000# between jack stands. But it might be a super heavy duty ramp on that RV, not sure what he’s hauling.My ramp has 4 bumpers for that edge. I would want 4 stands if I did this set up.
Fair enough...
Old 11-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #17

I've owned 3 of these and they work great. https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html
Old 11-25-2021, 01:58 AM   #18

You dont need the e-track for your Harley. I have a 27RR and a Street Glide. No problems using a front wheel chock and straps. I must admit the HF chock in the link above works great. Bike never shifts, straps never loosen. Others are correct about ramp angle. I have a system now for loading and unloading. Never drags bottom.

The you tube video is just dumb, dangerous, and a complete waste of time for a 27RR / Harley application. The biker rally would be half over before he gets setup and unloaded.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #19

I do also have a condor Pitstop which I can toss in to use. Just will need to find a way to keep it from sliding across the floor on that linoleum flooring in the garage section. Probably will stop at Tractor Supply and get a small rubber stall mat to put under it.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #20

Are there D rings on the floor? I took my harbor freight bike stand and added 4 heavy duty eyelets to it, one at each corner. I chained the front of the stand to the front D rings, then used a 3 inch ratchet strap to pull the stand back tight against the rear D rings. Once I positioned the bike (a K1600 Grand America) on the stand, I then tied it to the front eyelets using 2 ratchet straps in the manner recommended by BMW. Bike never moved and the stand was not permanently mounted.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote