Old 09-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #1

Exterior speakers.

Hey all, has anyone replaced the exterior speakers? I’m not sure if ours are just cheap or what. But they sound terrible, and are already “blown”. We have a 2020 22RR Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	239605
Bugg013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #2

Many folks have replaced their outside speakers with upgraded and waterproof speakers just be sure to match the impedance of the inside speakers.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

We had the same ones and they lasted two camping trips. I changed them to Pyle marine speakers that I bought on ebay and we love them. Nice sound and they where very inexpensive.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
We had the same ones and they lasted two camping trips. I changed them to Pyle marine speakers that I bought on ebay and we love them. Nice sound and they where very inexpensive.

Was it a pretty easy install, or did you have to make any modifications
Old 09-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #5

Yes it was an easy install. The hardest part was caulking around them and making it look good.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes it was an easy install. The hardest part was caulking around them and making it look good.

I already know mine won’t. I have yet to master caulking in all my years. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #7

When I caulked mine I used tape around the outside as a guide and then removed it after I smeared it around with my finger and it looked pretty good. Its a little tricky with the siding not being smooth.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
When I caulked mine I used tape around the outside as a guide and then removed it after I smeared it around with my finger and it looked pretty good. Its a little tricky with the siding not being smooth.

Did you use anything special caulk wise? I’ve noticed the caulking around various apparatus’s on the rig is starting to look very old. We’re out here in the desert, so poor thing takes a heck of a beating with the sun and wind storms.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #9

The speakers in the picture appear to be Driven 5.25 inch speakers. I had these on my brand new FR Sabre and replaced them inside and the ones outside and it was a very easy replacement. You have to be careful when ordering a new set to ensure the installation depth does not exceed the depth of the wall you're installing it into.

The outside speakers I replaced them with are Pyle marine grade PLMRS53WL, or BK model if you prefer black. They sound so much better than the cheap Driven speakers it came with.

One problem I did encounter was the mounting hole was a bit smaller than the diameter of the back of the Pyle speaker and wouldn't fit. I simply used a tiny sanding wheel that came with a Black & Decker Dremel tool I had and grinded out the mounting hole just enough that the back of the speaker fit in it perfectly.

Although with any marine grade speaker you purchase, you'll also get a weatherproof ring that'll go on the speaker when its installed, I wanted to ensure no water would get inside the wall. I used a waterproof clear automotive adhesive/sealant around the outside edge of the speaker to complete the job. This works well if you don't have great caulking skills, as it dries clear.

Hope my experience helps you with the replacement.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
The speakers in the picture appear to be Driven 5.25 inch speakers. I had these on my brand new FR Sabre and replaced them inside and the ones outside and it was a very easy replacement. You have to be careful when ordering a new set to ensure the installation depth does not exceed the depth of the wall you're installing it into.

The outside speakers I replaced them with are Pyle marine grade PLMRS53WL, or BK model if you prefer black. They sound so much better than the cheap Driven speakers it came with.

One problem I did encounter was the mounting hole was a bit smaller than the diameter of the back of the Pyle speaker and wouldn't fit. I simply used a tiny sanding wheel that came with a Black & Decker Dremel tool I had and grinded out the mounting hole just enough that the back of the speaker fit in it perfectly.

Although with any marine grade speaker you purchase, you'll also get a weatherproof ring that'll go on the speaker when its installed, I wanted to ensure no water would get inside the wall. I used a waterproof clear automotive adhesive/sealant around the outside edge of the speaker to complete the job. This works well if you don't have great caulking skills, as it dries clear.

Hope my experience helps you with the replacement.

Thank you for the awesome advice!

Tags
exterior