Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #1

Exterior speakers.

Hey all, has anyone replaced the exterior speakers? I’m not sure if ours are just cheap or what. But they sound terrible, and are already “blown”. We have a 2020 22RR Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	239605
Bugg013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #2

Many folks have replaced their outside speakers with upgraded and waterproof speakers just be sure to match the impedance of the inside speakers.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

We had the same ones and they lasted two camping trips. I changed them to Pyle marine speakers that I bought on ebay and we love them. Nice sound and they where very inexpensive.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
We had the same ones and they lasted two camping trips. I changed them to Pyle marine speakers that I bought on ebay and we love them. Nice sound and they where very inexpensive.

Was it a pretty easy install, or did you have to make any modifications
Old 09-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #5

Yes it was an easy install. The hardest part was caulking around them and making it look good.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes it was an easy install. The hardest part was caulking around them and making it look good.

I already know mine won’t. I have yet to master caulking in all my years. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #7

When I caulked mine I used tape around the outside as a guide and then removed it after I smeared it around with my finger and it looked pretty good. Its a little tricky with the siding not being smooth.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
When I caulked mine I used tape around the outside as a guide and then removed it after I smeared it around with my finger and it looked pretty good. Its a little tricky with the siding not being smooth.

Did you use anything special caulk wise? I’ve noticed the caulking around various apparatus’s on the rig is starting to look very old. We’re out here in the desert, so poor thing takes a heck of a beating with the sun and wind storms.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #9

The speakers in the picture appear to be Driven 5.25 inch speakers. I had these on my brand new FR Sabre and replaced them inside and the ones outside and it was a very easy replacement. You have to be careful when ordering a new set to ensure the installation depth does not exceed the depth of the wall you're installing it into.

The outside speakers I replaced them with are Pyle marine grade PLMRS53WL, or BK model if you prefer black. They sound so much better than the cheap Driven speakers it came with.

One problem I did encounter was the mounting hole was a bit smaller than the diameter of the back of the Pyle speaker and wouldn't fit. I simply used a tiny sanding wheel that came with a Black & Decker Dremel tool I had and grinded out the mounting hole just enough that the back of the speaker fit in it perfectly.

Although with any marine grade speaker you purchase, you'll also get a weatherproof ring that'll go on the speaker when its installed, I wanted to ensure no water would get inside the wall. I used a waterproof clear automotive adhesive/sealant around the outside edge of the speaker to complete the job. This works well if you don't have great caulking skills, as it dries clear.

Hope my experience helps you with the replacement.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
The speakers in the picture appear to be Driven 5.25 inch speakers. I had these on my brand new FR Sabre and replaced them inside and the ones outside and it was a very easy replacement. You have to be careful when ordering a new set to ensure the installation depth does not exceed the depth of the wall you're installing it into.

The outside speakers I replaced them with are Pyle marine grade PLMRS53WL, or BK model if you prefer black. They sound so much better than the cheap Driven speakers it came with.

One problem I did encounter was the mounting hole was a bit smaller than the diameter of the back of the Pyle speaker and wouldn't fit. I simply used a tiny sanding wheel that came with a Black & Decker Dremel tool I had and grinded out the mounting hole just enough that the back of the speaker fit in it perfectly.

Although with any marine grade speaker you purchase, you'll also get a weatherproof ring that'll go on the speaker when its installed, I wanted to ensure no water would get inside the wall. I used a waterproof clear automotive adhesive/sealant around the outside edge of the speaker to complete the job. This works well if you don't have great caulking skills, as it dries clear.

Hope my experience helps you with the replacement.

Thank you for the awesome advice!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #11

Just bought my WolfPup 16FQ and I will say those outside speakers have very little volume. I realize they are outside but I can stand on my steps and hear the difference between inside and outside. No comparison.
They are not even loud enough to sound bad. The inside ones can lol.
Duner733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner733 View Post
Just bought my WolfPup 16FQ and I will say those outside speakers have very little volume. I realize they are outside but I can stand on my steps and hear the difference between inside and outside. No comparison.

They are not even loud enough to sound bad. The inside ones can lol.

Mine literally are blown. Within one use.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #13

Have the same trailer as you 2020 22RRBL. Purchased 2 sets of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB5...io-DB-522.html
Man what a difference on the stock head unit. Make sure it's "loud" function is on and in the "rock" eq setting for best sound. I'm an audiophile and it's enough for me for roughing it. Depth is main concern for mounting. Make sure you also notate the + & - locations on each speaker. These units are not wired for stereo, just mono so polarity does matter.
Timmytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmytim View Post
Have the same trailer as you 2020 22RRBL. Purchased 2 sets of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB5...io-DB-522.html
Man what a difference on the stock head unit. Make sure it's "loud" function is on and in the "rock" eq setting for best sound. I'm an audiophile and it's enough for me for roughing it. Depth is main concern for mounting. Make sure you also notate the + & - locations on each speaker. These units are not wired for stereo, just mono so polarity does matter.
What speakers are you running on the interior? Thanks.

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #15

A few times I have heard people playing music really loud on their outside speakers when they were in their rigs at night. I asked a guy once "if he would mind turning down the outside speakers?" "Sure, I didn't know they were on" was his reply.

I know this is risky in today's world, but just wanted to pass it along.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #16

Mine were wired out of phase. So were the inside speakers. And let me tell you, this is not uncommon because the speakers in my Monaco coach were out of phase too. This will make the speakers have zero bass. You need to test the wiring by disconnecting the wires from the head unit, and use a AA battery to the speaker wires. If the polarity is correct, the speaker will push out toward you, if it goes in it is out of phase. Rewire to the head unit accordingly. After wiring mine in proper phase, they actually sound pretty decent.

I tried hooking up some very high end speakers to my head unit (IRV5) and it still sounded awful, so until I change the head unit, it's just going to sound bad.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
What speakers are you running on the interior? Thanks.
Same speakers as I mentioned for the outside. all 4 are the same. Definitely a better sound than the garbage Driven speakers that it comes with.
Timmytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #18

I'll have to remove one of mine and see how much space I've got depth wise. Thanks!

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Replaced crappy outdoor Furrion speaker (yes, one) with this speaker panel. Had to also buy the 41mm spacer to make a surface mount. Sound great at low volume and when nobody else around to bother, it blasts fairly loud! Volume varies with B.A.C. and proximity to other campers. Was only 153 when I bought it a few years ago, a bit more now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51n+DDIk72L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	247979  
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Speaker mounted to trailer
Attached Thumbnails