Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Furnace issues

Happy holidays all.

Does any one have any experience with the furnaces in these units. While dry camping, does it need a “specific” charge level on the batteries to run. Cold night last night in the 20’s. Clicked on a time or two in the evenings. But, woke up to a very cold morning and it won’t come on.

Have the generator running now to charge the rig, and run the space heaters.

Hopefully it just needs a good amount of battery to kick over, if not... I’d hate to know what it’s like to take it to a shop
Bugg013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Your profile doesn’t provide any details about your rig. You don’t have a lot of posts, so we’ll assume you’re still a bit of a newbie.

RV units are not 4 season.
Yes.....RV furnaces use a lot of propane.
Yes.....they need a good solid 12+ volts to run the fan and spark igniter.
You can only run so many electric heaters before you trip breakers.

Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Your profile doesn’t provide any details about your rig. You don’t have a lot of posts, so we’ll assume you’re still a bit of a newbie.

RV units are not 4 season.

Yes.....RV furnaces use a lot of propane.

Yes.....they need a good solid 12+ volts to run the fan and spark igniter.

You can only run so many electric heaters before you trip breakers.

Good luck.

Yes, they do use a lot of propane. And yes, they need a solid 12v source. However, all that aside because it does have both of those. I was curious if others have had the same issue of it just not working with sufficient battery and plenty of fuel.

Fuses and breakers are fine.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg013 View Post
Yes, they do use a lot of propane. And yes, they need a solid 12v source. However, all that aside because it does have both of those. I was curious if others have had the same issue of it just not working with sufficient battery and plenty of fuel.

Fuses and breakers are fine.
So, after running your generator, does the furnace work now?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
So, after running your generator, does the furnace work now?

It does not.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Just as confused as you

Include the make and model number of the appliance and as much detail as to what is happening when asking for help with appliances. That way we can give you specific answers to your questions. If I knew which furnace you have I could direct you to the Service Manual specific for your furnace.

These furnaces are what is called a forced air furnace. The blower motor has to turn fast enough so the air flow is high enough to push the sail switch down to close the switch so the power allows the gas valve to open. Without enough battery power there will not be enough air flow.

Many things can cause the loss of performance. Bad connections, bugs, dirt and spider webs are a few.

Seeing that your fairly new to this forum and possibly new to RV’s, you should read this thread 'New to RV's helpful hints
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Site Team

You have to have both plenty of propane and a good charge on the battery(s) in order for the furnace to run? If the battery gets low the furnace will not run and go into lockout. You have to remove power from the furnace to reset it. Usually turning the thermostat off and back on will do it, but sometimes you need to remove the fuse and replace it.

Same thing can happen if you run out of propane, except that you may have to reset it a few times to get the gas flowing enough for it to light.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You have to have both plenty of propane and a good charge on the battery(s) in order for the furnace to run? If the battery gets low the furnace will not run and go into lockout. You have to remove power from the furnace to reset it. Usually turning the thermostat off and back on will do it, but sometimes you need to remove the fuse and replace it.

Same thing can happen if you run out of propane, except that you may have to reset it a few times to get the gas flowing enough for it to light.

Thank you, that’s exactly the information I was looking for. I know I had plenty fuel, and dead batteries. Hooked up the generator, let it run for a bit. Cycled the thermostat and she’s back to heating.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm glad it worked, and thanks for coming back and letting us know that you got it working.

Tags
furnace