Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Generator for Boondocking

What Generator and wattage would be recommended for a 2020 26rr Toyhauler. I'd like to power as much as possible.
Lane329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane329 View Post
What Generator and wattage would be recommended for a 2020 26rr Toyhauler. I'd like to power as much as possible.
1. Will it be used in a developed campground or for Boondocking away from others? For campground usage, you need an inverter generator. For Boondocking, any cheap open frame contractor-style generator will work.
2. There are literally thousands of threads on this here. A quick search will get you weeks of reading.
3. To run everything, including the a/c, a minimum would be 3000w or higher. Or two 2000w paralleled inverter generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #3

Boondocking only. This will be my 2nd year of traveling, and later this year will go full time as I retire. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Boondocking only. This will be my 2nd year of traveling, and later this year will go full time as I retire. Thanks for the info.
The well-loved $300 Champion 3500w/4000w surge open frame contractor-style generator has been a favorite of the RV community for at least decade.
BUT it is not appropriate for campground usage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
Cousins

I bought a champion 5500/4000 inverter generator. It will work the ac and microwave at the same time. It is a closed frame dual fuel. I only run it on propane. It will start the AC in eco mode. 61 db sound.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #6

Your desire for as much power as possible needs some clarification.

How many A/C units? Coffee Maker? Hair Dryer? Curling Iron? Residential type refrigerator (no propane)? Microwave?

These all add up. Speaking for myself i can max my 3500W with the A/C running along with the microwave. If charging batteries at the same time I need to shut off converter/charger.

First step is to add up the loads you know you will be running at the same time. Also remember that an A/C unit will need 2,000 to 2500 watts just to start. Generators have two ratings, one for starting load (the highest) and another for running (the lowest number) Microwaves also have a surge power requirement.

If your trailer has 30 amp power input (3600 watt max) and you might think that a 3500 watt generator is adequate. In reality a 3500 watt generator only delivers around 3100-3200 watts for running loads, not starting. With this in mind a 4,000 RUNNING watt generator would provide all the power your trailer's 30 amp service can handle. To get this you'll need 4500 watts in a generator rating, either in a single 4500 watt unit or two 2200+ units in parallel.

Champion offers a 4500 watt (starting) inverter generator that sells for $800-$1300 depending on options. They also sell 2500 watts (starting) that can be paralled for 5,000 watts starting capacity. Two 2500 watt units and parallel adapter will run close to a single 4500 watt unit.

There are other brands available but my choice was Champion.

In closing, first step should be a "power requirements inventory". That will go along way towards determining how much generator you need. From there your choices will be better defined.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #7

Generator

Thanks for the answers ! I plan on running a single A/C unit , Microwave and coffee maker and water pump when needed. It has dual batteries that will charge some as well. I'm new at this , so if I ask questions about electrical issues that are redundant, please forgive me. I was a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker an have zero electrical experience. 😊
Old 10-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the answers ! I plan on running a single A/C unit , Microwave and coffee maker and water pump when needed. It has dual batteries that will charge some as well. I'm new at this , so if I ask questions about electrical issues that are redundant, please forgive me. I was a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker an have zero electrical experience. [emoji4]

Hi from another frequenter of the machine shop! I have the Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight and can’t say anything bad about. Runs everything inside and seems to be as quite as my previous Honda. Could not justify $3200 for another Honda.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
REL

3500 predator has been working fine for me for the past 500 hours in my Vengeance 25v TH. I have only stayed in a campground with hook ups for 2 out of about 75+ nights. Turn off the air for the 10 minutes you use the coffee maker or microwave.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:29 PM   #10

Another vote for the Predator 3500. It is quiet and has plenty of power for you. Many satisfied owners. Only downside is that it's a bit heavy at just under 100lbs. But the price is much more affordable than other brands. If it were me, if you aren't in a real hurry, hang on until the end of the month and see if it ends up as a Black Friday sale. I bought mine last year for under $650 before tax...
Old 10-31-2021, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Another vote for the Predator 3500.

This is too small to run what he wants. Sounds like he doesnt want to turn AC off to brew coffee or use microwave. Read the HF reviews too. Some are very bad. Including mine.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
This is too small to run what he wants. Sounds like he doesnt want to turn AC off to brew coffee or use microwave. Read the HF reviews too. Some are very bad. Including mine.
Of course there are bad reviews. Nothing is perfect. I don't think there is anything out there that won't get bad reviews. But if you look at the web site, you will see 6136 reviews for an over all 4.8 out of 5 star rating. 98% would recommend it.

And at the 3500/3000, there should be more than enough to run anything he needs...
Old 11-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
With a 3500w generator he shouldn't have to shut off the A/C to use the microwave OR brew coffee. He just cant run A/C then brew coffee AND use microwave at same time.

I run my A/C on my 3500w Champion and use microwave all the time. The Predator can do the same in similar conditions.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #14

I have this Firman generator for 3 years and it’s on sale now at Costco for $549.00. Ive been pleased with it and it runs my 13.5 air conditioner, microwave and coffee maker without issue but I’ve never run all 3 together…

https://www.costco.com/firman-2900w-...100367440.html
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #15

I'm surprised there has been no suggestion to add a soft start like a Microair EZ Start to the AC unit. I've boondocked a lot in my old Lance TC with that upgrade and it was the first upgrade done to my 25RRT. It helps a ton. It makes life so much easier on the generator (and the AC unit). Helps with generator fuel consumption and noise too.

I've actually been using a small, cheap Sportsman 1000w inverter gen quite a bit lately as its been cool out and it will run the camper all day on a half gallon of gas. That obviously doesn't include the AC and microwave but the heat, lights, TVs, wifi, all work fine. I just make coffee on the stove.
n0m4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #16

I use predator 3500 so far it's been good from harbor freight. The only thing it has small wheels makes it hard to roll on ground ok on hard surfaces. I bought materials to weld me up a cart with big wheels and a handle with turning but never gotten the time to make it. I also got the extended run kit to run a boat tank for longer run time but never installed it yet. I have a,17 26rr.
woodsrider40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #17

You need to first find the size you need by doing the power requirement assessment. Some of the major manufacturers have calculators on their websites.
Then you need to decide how much noise you can tolerate. The lower the dba, the better. Check the area you place you want to camp to see what their maximum level is.
Then figure out if you want dual fuel or not. Running ours on propane reduces the amount of maintenance required, but we can run it on gas if necessary.
Weight can also be a factor if you need to move it.
Once you have all the above information, visit the major manufacturers website and read the specs carefully. Then it's a matter of deciding what you can afford.

Also, don't rely too much on a generator. If you prepare to camp without electricity, you'll be prepared in case the generator has problems.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You need to first find the size you need by doing the power requirement assessment. Some of the major manufacturers have calculators on their websites.
Then you need to decide how much noise you can tolerate. The lower the dba, the better. Check the area you place you want to camp to see what their maximum level is.
Then figure out if you want dual fuel or not. Running ours on propane reduces the amount of maintenance required, but we can run it on gas if necessary.
Weight can also be a factor if you need to move it.
Once you have all the above information, visit the major manufacturers website and read the specs carefully. Then it's a matter of deciding what you can afford.

Also, don't rely too much on a generator. If you prepare to camp without electricity, you'll be prepared in case the generator has problems.
One caveat on dBA levels. There is no standard for Generator Manufacturers. Make sure the noise levels being compared are taken under the same conditions and distances.

It's generally accepted that an ENCLOSED Inverter type generator will be quiet enough for most campgrounds, public or private, and almost all (except boondocking areas) will have quiet hours where NO generators can be running.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
One caveat on dBA levels. There is no standard for Generator Manufacturers. Make sure the noise levels being compared are taken under the same conditions and distances.

It's generally accepted that an ENCLOSED Inverter type generator will be quiet enough for most campgrounds, public or private, and almost all (except boondocking areas) will have quiet hours where NO generators can be running.
Yes, I’ve found that manufactures will claim a low dBA running at 25% output. Others will list it at full rated output. Very hard to compare different brands and misleading. The only way to know is to actually hear it running with a load. Not on the ECO setting.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #20

I went with 2 champion 2000 watts invertor generators with parallel kit, (they were on sale at $350 so got 2 for $700). The larger ones were too heavy for me to pick up and move around. If all I want to do is charge the battery and heat with the microwave in the morning, I only need to run 1. Only occasionally do I need to run both (since I boondock in the mountains do not need the AC much)
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, generator