Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Lifting heavy RV hitch to receiver

I would like any comments concerning a device to lift an Equalizer (or any other brand) hitch, up to the truck receiver.
I have the handle, that attaches to the ball, and makes the lift easier than picking the thing up by hand.
Problem is I have had a back operation and near getting a second one. This has made the lift of the hitch somewhat painful.
Is there ANY lift device out there made especially for this type of lift?
I have looked at a Motorcycle Lift (hydraulic hand pump) but before investing in something like that, I’d like to hear of anything better.
Raise height is right at 18”. Thanks.
26RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #2

The “handle” that I spoke of is the HitchGrip. Still puts strain on back /shoulder when lifting hitch.
26RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Not specific for a hitch but I've seen a few of these recently.
Mostly for lifting propane tanks but could be used for anything.

HERC-U-LIFTS

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

Harbor Freight has a series of lightweight aluminum racing jacks that might be of some use, and can do double duty as a handy jack for your tow vehicle. The max lift is a bit short, but it will get you close!
https://m.harborfreight.com/catalogs...&q=racing+jack
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #5

I was going to suggest a custom made "cradle" on wheels that the hitch sits in with an area underneath that can receive a floor jack. But after looking at that device offered by 5 Picker, I think that is your tool.
You can lift your hitch, spare and propane bottles with that. And if it is collapsible, that's even better.
I leave my hitch on my TV. It offers a little weight for a better ride and since I have already been rear ended once in these parts, it offers some protection for my truck. It will definitely stop any bumper headed my way and put the hurt on someones radiator. If you are stupid enough to rear end me, then I am smart enough to protect my vehicle and not give a damm about yours.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19RR View Post
I would like any comments concerning a device to lift an Equalizer (or any other brand) hitch, up to the truck receiver.
I have the handle, that attaches to the ball, and makes the lift easier than picking the thing up by hand.
Problem is I have had a back operation and near getting a second one. This has made the lift of the hitch somewhat painful.
I have looked at a Motorcycle Lift (hydraulic hand pump) but before investing in something like that, I’d like to hear of anything better.
I went through this evaluation a couple of years ago. I had a perfectly good Equalizer 4-point hitch that worked well but the ball housing was around 58lbs and too heavy to lift with bad back (surgery). Since I paid $800-$900 for it installed by dealer I looked for solutions to lift the housing but on paper nothing seemed a workable solution for me. I wound up buying an Andersen WDH that is much lighter for me to lift. It solved my problem and I have no complaints with sway control or distribution of weight to front wheels of TV and it’s easy on/off and backing up is no problem.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not specific for a hitch but I've seen a few of these recently.
Mostly for lifting propane tanks but could be used for anything.

HERC-U-LIFTS

This looks like the cats meow ~ but all I see is a boat hand winch, a pulley and a few pieces of metal. A bit of southern ingenuity, a picture and something similar could be fabricated ... even a bit smaller if needed.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Gold Member

Heavy lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19RR View Post
I am 70 and quite often get a nice young man from the neighborhood to help with heavy lifts like my Honda 3000 generator into the truck. It doesn’t take long and young viril people are usually happy to do it. The problem with gizmos is you have another thing to carry around.
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

I give a young guy in my neighborhood $10 and he does it for me. There are nice younger people around.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Whoa! I have an Equal-i-zer hitch and have no problem getting the bars in place (I'm 75) because I use the power tongue jack to lift the connected hitch up (the tongue has been dropped onto the ball and secured) to remove all of the tongue weight. The bars simply swing into place and can be secured (if the bar needs to be used, it is a simple pull up). Once the bars are in place, the tongue jack is reversed and stored for travel; the bars then take on their weight distribution role without hassle. Just reverse the process when unhitching.

Easy - peasy!

EDIT: I just re-read the OP and realize that the problem is to lift the heavy cast iron hitch and ball assembly up and into the receiver. My bad! But I use the Hitch Grip Coupling Tool available from Amazon.com for under $30. It is still a bit of a heavy lift.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #11

Collision Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I was going to suggest a custom made "cradle" on wheels that the hitch sits in with an area underneath that can receive a floor jack. But after looking at that device offered by 5 Picker, I think that is your tool.
You can lift your hitch, spare and propane bottles with that. And if it is collapsible, that's even better.
I leave my hitch on my TV. It offers a little weight for a better ride and since I have already been rear ended once in these parts, it offers some protection for my truck. It will definitely stop any bumper headed my way and put the hurt on someones radiator. If you are stupid enough to rear end me, then I am smart enough to protect my vehicle and not give a damm about yours.
RMc
I've wondered about this, does the hitch really protect the vehicle? There is a web site which markets a device which is shock absorbing, mounted in the receiver, claimed to protect against damage from collision. It is to be used when not towing.

The rationale is this: The vehicle body is designed to provide a "crumple zone" which absorbs impact, protecting not only the occupants, but also the vehicle frame as well, by making a "softer" collision.

The claim is that the body damage is most often repairable, but frame damage could be serious enough to make a write off of the whole vehicle mandatory.

The logic is attractive, but the device is pricey. Has anyone else heard of this, or perhaps purchased one?

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #12

This was a great solution by another forum member:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ly-106796.html

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #13

I too researched this problem since I also share your problem of lifting the hitch. I used to have an Air Safe with Equalizer sway and WD. The ride was fantastic, towing 10,000 pounds. Our trailer was so stable we could leave a glass of water on the counter and have it there un-spilled after a day's driving.
The problem was the 80# Air Safe, then the Equalizer bars. I do have a kind neighbor who always lifted it on and off but at a campsite we had to leave it on the truck. I tried lifts, jacks, custom shelves and MacGyvered Gadgets, nothing worked or they were too cumbersome for me to handle. We sold the trailer with the Air Safe, downsized and now use nothing other than a ball on the receiver. Good Luck to you I feel your pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	from phone feb 2017 002.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	157874  
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

Lifting The Hitch

I'm 82 and the hitch has suddenly become super heavy. I have the hitch ball lift, but it's still too heavy to move around. Sooo...I built a little wooden cart on wheels that places the hitch at the same height as the receiver. Now, I roll the hitch up to the receiver, move it to the edge of the receiver and push it in. That's it. I don't have pictures, but it was simple to build with wood that was laying around, and a couple of cheap plastic 3" wheels that I refused to throw away. The trick is to make the cart the right height for your tow vehicle.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #15

I bought a hitch pin with a lock. Locked it in and forgot about it until finding it always ready. Now I have a 5er,,,, much easier all around.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #16

Put it on at the start of the season and leave it on. That way you only have to worry about it twice per year.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
Multi-Slacker

Leave it in. That's what we do because neither of us enjoys trying to pick it up. We do have a lock on it.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabbet View Post
EDIT: I just re-read the OP and realize that the problem is to lift the heavy cast iron hitch and ball assembly up and into the receiver. My bad! But I use the Hitch Grip Coupling Tool available from Amazon.com for under $30. It is still a bit of a heavy lift.
And if you reread a second time, you'd find he stated he already has the HitchGrip.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

I was given an inexpensive hand truck. I wheel the truck up to the mounted hitch head and using some spare, nylon 3-strand dock line, I tie the head to the hand cart, pull the pin and back the hand truck up pulling the head out. I store it tied to the truck so it's at the proper height to install by reversing the procedure. No lifting, no machinery. no expense.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
I've wondered about this, does the hitch really protect the vehicle? There is a web site which markets a device which is shock absorbing, mounted in the receiver, claimed to protect against damage from collision. It is to be used when not towing.

The rationale is this: The vehicle body is designed to provide a "crumple zone" which absorbs impact, protecting not only the occupants, but also the vehicle frame as well, by making a "softer" collision.

The claim is that the body damage is most often repairable, but frame damage could be serious enough to make a write off of the whole vehicle mandatory.

The logic is attractive, but the device is pricey. Has anyone else heard of this, or perhaps purchased one?

Unless I'm mistaken, 'crumple zones' are designed into unibody cars, not body-on-frame trucks. Yes to protect passengers. Frame not a consideration.

I had a 1500 truck rear-ended a few years ago. I was stopped at a red light and a guy hit me at about 35mph. Totaled the truck, and the suburban that hit me. All body damage, no frame damage. No receiver hitch. Doubt it would have really made a difference in that case, or at any speed above that.

However, I do keep a stinger and ball in our minivan hitch when I'm driving for Uber. When working Friday nights downtown, some of the other drivers really crowd you, and I've been bumped. I figure at low speed the hitch will ensure the other driver is more likely to get the damage.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, lift