Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

New 24Gold14 Owner

Hello! Just purchased my first RV, ended up driving 600 miles from Texas to Illonois to pick it up since this model doesn't appear to be available locally.

I went into this with the expectations that RV's are far from perfect, even new, so I am trying to get everything figured out before I take the family out in it, my first mod is replacing the China bombs with USA Goodyears, I will check the axle grease while I have the wheels off. Other than that I plan to double check the sealant on the whole thing, I've already found a few spots they missed so I need to touch up the sealant. I've also found screws starting to back out, when I got it home one of the exterior screws vibrated out almost an inch and almost fell out. I also found what appears to be bolts for the sidewalls, where it attaches to the frame, the nuts on several were missing and a few more about ready to fall off, they look like 3/8 or so, I planned to put Nylon nuts on there to keep it from happening again.

Does anyone know what kind of sealant Cherokee uses on the sides? It looks mostly clear, feels a lot like silicone but at the same time it seems different.

Any other advice on what to check? I'm mostly worried about water damage and safety. I can't believe the bolts holding the walls to the frame had nuts missing! Thanks everyone!
mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Hope you create many memories. This is what most use.Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200422_135306_8945074726820917767.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	227452
Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #3

Awesome, thank you!
mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If it were me I would not replace perfectly good tires based on forum hysteria. I have run the original tires for thousands of miles with an issue. I would spend the extra cash on a pressure monitoring system like TST507. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #5

We put 8000kms on our 2019 23pack15 last summer, towed to east coast and back, plus local trips. Tires were (and still are) fine. I too was a little worried at first with some of the posts I discovered, but glad I didn't waste the money to throw these away.

Thanks for the insight into your trailer inspection, I'm going to have a very close look at ours this spring before we travel again to make sure sealants, screws, nuts are all good!
Leylands is offline   Reply With Quote