Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #1

New here thanks to scout 440

Looking to buy a 355 pack 14 has anyone bought a 23? Any pros or cons that you have found? Thank you in advance.
captbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #2

First, welcome to the forum!

Is that a Wolfpack Toy hauler? You need someone to move you to the right forum. Boondocking isn't it.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #3

I may be confused can’t I boondock in a toy hauler.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbubba View Post
Of course you can.

However, if you're looking for an opinion on the rig you're considering buying, you are more likely to find toyhauler owners in the toyhauler section. (which you've been moved to by an administrator.)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
That's not the question you asked in your original post.
You asked for the pros and cons of a Cherokee Wolfpack 355 Pack 14, not about Boondocking.
I have no idea what you mean by "scout 440".
If you have questions about Boondocking, they need to be specific to Boondocking.
Very few RVs are ready for Boondocking, especially trailers.
If the Toyhauler trailer comes with a generator, then you should be ok.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:29 AM   #6

Well I appreciate that you need to point out that you are camping guru’s. I don’t camp in campgrounds they are mobile trailers parks that have all the same drama. I didn’t realize that you people had the same drama on a simple camping forum? So let me apologize for insulting your forum with a stupid question.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Looking to buy a 355 pack 14 has anyone bought a 23? Any pros or cons that you have found? Thank you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I have no idea what you mean by "scout 440".
Howdy and welcome aboard captbubba. We appreciate our fellow community member, 440scout, steering you our way. Hopefully someone with the model RV you are inquiring about will be able to answer your questions. The site team moved your question to the place where it has the most chance of being successfully answered by the community.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
So let me apologize for insulting your forum with a stupid question.
I'm sorry you think we're insulted by your question. That's not the case.

Perhaps we've misunderstood. By posting in the 'boondocking' section, were you asking if the rig you want is suitable for boondocking? Many of us boondock. However, we can't answer a question about how to boondock with the rig you asked about or what the pros and cons are of the rig.

A toyhauler owner is more likely to know the answer to your question and to read your post in the toyhauler section. Hopefully an owner of the rig will be able to help.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #9

It’s all good

Yep we’re all good on this end just new to the forum stuff. I didn’t realize that there was specific questions for specific sections. I dry camped or boondocked for many years. Mostly in Pa but have dry camped in Colorado, and Montana.in tents and then moved up to a venture stratus 28vbh. We sold that and was looking for a toy hauler to boondock in. That’s why I assumed and yes I understand the acronym and I am the first part, that people in the boondocking section would have firsthand experience with that unit. I didn’t realize that it would ruffle feathers. I should have not reacted with a snarky response. I apologize to everyone that was offended. Thank you for your gracious response.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Yep we’re all good on this end just new to the forum stuff. I didn’t realize that there was specific questions for specific sections. I dry camped or boondocked for many years. Mostly in Pa but have dry camped in Colorado, and Montana.in tents and then moved up to a venture stratus 28vbh. We sold that and was looking for a toy hauler to boondock in. That’s why I assumed and yes I understand the acronym and I am the first part, that people in the boondocking section would have firsthand experience with that unit. I didn’t realize that it would ruffle feathers. I should have not reacted with a snarky response. I apologize to everyone that was offended. Thank you for your gracious response.
The "stupid question" phrase was assigned by you, not by any other member. The "ruffle feathers" assessment was made by you, not by any other member.

The site team moves multiple threads every day; our forum experience helps us put threads in the sub-forum which provides the highest probability of getting a member the best shot at an answer to her/his questions. If a member asks a question about an inline water filter in the Travel Chat - Western United States sub-forum and a moderator moves it to Plumbing and Water Systems & Fixtures, it doesn't mean we thought the question was stupid nor does it mean any feathers were ruffled. It means we want the best answer for the Original Poster (OP). Some members ONLY read posts in their favorite sub-forum so if a member posts a question about their favorite subject in a different sub-forum, they won't ever see it; they won't be able to help.

I hope this helps.
Dan
FRF Site Team

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:43 PM   #11

Yep
Old 02-22-2023, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! So glad you decided to check it out. Be patient, most of the members here are really nice people and will be happy to answer your questions. FYI, my handle is 440scout because years ago for fun, I installed Chrysler 440 engines in International Scouts!
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum. I’m going out on a limb and say that no off the lot TT or 5er is “equipped” for serious boondocking w/o adding more solar or adding a generator.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Welcome to the forum. I’m going out on a limb and say that no off the lot TT or 5er is “equipped” for serious boondocking w/o adding more solar or adding a generator.
And better batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Hello again captbubba! I don't know much about toyhaulers but from what I've seen they are a much more usable type of camper. If I was 20 years younger I would definitely have one and a quad or some type of off road toy. Because you exclusively boondock, I would look for a toy hauler that has a built-in generator with automatic transfer switch and at least some solar. If you've got at least 400 watts of solar and at least a 40 amp mppt charge controller(larger capacity allows you to add more solar if needed), then you've got a good basic system in place. Those states out west you mentioned get a lot of sunshine so solar will work well there. Very likely you'll add more batteries, so try to get lithium if you can. They're not only lighter and can last many years more, but they recharge in 1/3 the time it takes a lead acid battery to recharge.
Also look for large capacity holding tanks and a floorplan that works well for your family.
That toyhauler must have a good size cargo carrying capacity once its loaded and those tanks are filled. So, look at the numbers on the stickers that are usually on drivers side front of camper.
Also, check out the tires, if they're "china bombs" be very cautious, don't expect them to last very many years.
Let us know which toyhauler you end up with. If its a brand other than Forest River, you can join that forum, too. Even though my 5th wheel is not a Forest River product, I enjoy reading their forum and pick up a lot of useful information here. Many campers use the same brand name appliances, axles, frames, distribution panels, etc, so a lot of information here is useful for other campers. Besides Forest River I am a member on Grand Design, Jayco, 5th Wheel, IRV2, Keystone and Cummins (for my truck). Keep in touch and let us know what toyhauler you get. Good luck!
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote