Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #1

On board fuel tank

What is everyone's theory on storage your camper with the built in gas tank.

We decided to get a permanent site so going to the station is not a viable option.

Do you keep it full with an additive or empty it as much as possible?

We've got a 2512 wolf pack
Triple J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

I assume you'll be using that fuel? Maybe generator or filling vehicles? If so, keep it full with additive. It keeps the moisture out.

If you'll never use the tank for anything, no reason to fill it at all
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I assume you'll be using that fuel? Maybe generator or filling vehicles? If so, keep it full with additive. It keeps the moisture out.

If you'll never use the tank for anything, no reason to fill it at all
Problem is we filled and used prior to going permanent. So now there is 1/4 to 1/2 tank in it but hooking up and going to station isn't convenient for using out of the tank can just drive bike or rzr to the station so won't be using it until we decided to give up the permanent camping
Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

If it were me and I knew I wasn't going to use the tank anymore I'd try to drain it as much as possible and call it a day.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Keeping the tank full will reduce the chances of condensation contamination of the tank.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

Full!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Keeping the tank full will reduce the chances of condensation contamination of the tank.
I agree. Keep it full.

People talk about problems with "stale" guess but I've stored cars for 3-4 years without additives and never had any problems.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #7

When stored between seasons, I store my fuel tank very near full with Sta-Bil fuel preservative (for my carbureted generator). Fuel injected engines don’t generally suffer the problems carbureted engines do when old fuel turns to varnish inside the carburetor. With a full fuel tank, temperature changes will suck little air in. Gasoline does a pretty good job of keeping a fuel tank slightly pressurized at most times. Diesel fuel has a lot less vapor pressure and can grow microbes when things outside the fuel tank find their way inside and again should also be stabilized, although diesel is generally considered more stable than gasoline. If a steel fuel tank is allowed to rust inside due to moisture over time, it will need to be replaced. Rust and corrosion prevention in the fuel system the main reason I prefer to keep stabilized fuel in my full fuel tanks. The stuff they were designed to hold rather than air.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Full it is then, always do with my equipment in off season.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
jkoenig24

And if you can avoid ETHANOL in whatever gasoline you buy, DO SO. I would even go out of my way to buy "real" gasoline (non-ethanol gas) for any application where said fuel might be stored for an extended time (and use a gas stabilizer as well). There are smartphone Apps for finding "real" gasoline.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #10

Afterthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
Full it is then, always do with my equipment in off season.
Having thought about this a little more since my previous post, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make sure that last fillup is with ethanol-free gas.

Larry
Old 08-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Having thought about this a little more since my previous post, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make sure that last fillup is with ethanol-free gas.

Larry
All I put in it since I may need to fill my Harley from it someday
Old 08-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

This post is run by bots. It's typical business practice to utilize social media now to promote product or diss competition. Usually, a gang of computer posters to feed off each other to feed public a line. Stabil fuel additive may be behind this or oil industry. They also pay for science, and blogs that claim the same falsehood.

Ethanol is the best component of gasoline. If your old like me and remember all the rotted gas cans rusting on the inside. This doesn't happen in modern times and modern times we have ethanol in our fuel supply. Know that gasoline supplies have always utilized ethanol when moisture was a problem. Now they claim ethanol is the moisture problem. Don't think so. Lol, my SIL had an old motorcycle with rotted gas tank. They told him ethanol did it. I told him the tank failed before E10 was in the common supply.

Also, our gasoline is more stable and clean than any time in history. No need to worry of gunk or rusting if E10 is your fuel. Iif concerned, top off with E85 or straight E85. Ethanol is completely pure, stable, and clean. It is less corrosive and high in much desirable octane. Don't run your 2 cycle or small engine on anything but E10 as that is the superior choice. It could be E85 if the engine was tuned for the fuel. Some do go through the trouble and claim excellent torque, horsepower, and low carbon deposit. The fuel will clean injectors. It is the best choice for water way pollution and in general the environment.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
This post is run by bots. It's typical business practice to utilize social media now to promote product or diss competition. Usually, a gang of computer posters to feed off each other to feed public a line. Stabil fuel additive may be behind this or oil industry. They also pay for science, and blogs that claim the same falsehood.

Ethanol is the best component of gasoline. If your old like me and remember all the rotted gas cans rusting on the inside. This doesn't happen in modern times and modern times we have ethanol in our fuel supply. Know that gasoline supplies have always utilized ethanol when moisture was a problem. Now they claim ethanol is the moisture problem. Don't think so. Lol, my SIL had an old motorcycle with rotted gas tank. They told him ethanol did it. I told him the tank failed before E10 was in the common supply.

Also, our gasoline is more stable and clean than any time in history. No need to worry of gunk or rusting if E10 is your fuel. Iif concerned, top off with E85 or straight E85. Ethanol is completely pure, stable, and clean. It is less corrosive and high in much desirable octane. Don't run your 2 cycle or small engine on anything but E10 as that is the superior choice. It could be E85 if the engine was tuned for the fuel. Some do go through the trouble and claim excellent torque, horsepower, and low carbon deposit. The fuel will clean injectors. It is the best choice for water way pollution and in general the environment.

WOW , where did you come up with this ? Ethanol is the worst thing to come along ever . A waste of fuel , energy, food , and causes more pollution then regular non ethanol gas . it eats rubber components , holds moisture, drops fuel economy , will rust out gas tanks ,. in all my years i've never seen damage like that which ethanol will cause . I make sure all gas that's not going to be used in a few months is dumped out . never had problems with my small engines until ethanol hit the market . I use non ethanol whenever i can . one more thing Octane is not much desirable . it is used to make gas less volatile , so the higher the compression the higher octane is needed . yes ethanol makes gas less volatile which does allow you to maybe drop a grade in octane but also reduces MPG by as much as 10% along with power . Ethanol is a joke and only the farmers are making a killing . funny how those same farmers only use nonethanol in their equipment
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

They are out there drinking the CoolAide! WOW! Do not believe post 12!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #15

I agree with you 100% Mr. M. I wonder if ole TREES is the proprietor of a big corn farm or overly endowed with a heavy case of liberalese. I am 67 years old and grew up with pure regular and ethyl gasoline and I never had to dump gasoline out when it got older like I do now with the ethanol gasoline and I never had my small engine carbs plugged with who knows what like I do now with ethanol. So Mr. TREES, not to rain on your parade or anything like that as everyone is entitled to his or her own beliefs but that does not establish your beliefs as gospel.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #16

Small engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It [ethanol] eats rubber components , holds moisture, drops fuel economy , will rust out gas tanks ,. in all my years i've never seen damage like that which ethanol will cause . I make sure all gas that's not going to be used in a few months is dumped out . never had problems with my small engines until ethanol hit the market .
I was a small-engine mechanic for a few years. I still get tapped for it for friends and relatives. I've definitely seen problems with flexible components; diaphragms in two-stroke engines and soft-tipped needle valves in both two- and four-stroke engines. How many times have you replaced diaphragms and other soft parts in a two-stroke carburetor after only a couple of years? How about carburetor float needles that stop sealing after a couple of years?

Funny thing about ethanol. We used to put it (Heet) in our gas tanks to absorb water so it would mix with the gasoline and be burned. The water would not remain on the bottom of the tank and cause rust. But that was a temporary situation. All gone at the end of a tank on your daily driver.

But this thread is about storage. We've seen reports on other threads that suggest that ethanol in gasoline is not stable, that separation occurs. Once that happens, the ethanol (including its water component--there is no such thing as pure ethanol) goes to the bottom of the tank where it could indeed oxidize the tank if there were a fault in the galvanizing.

Larry
Old 08-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

trees

Lol, the bots all have their programmed response.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #18

How many times have you replaced diaphragms and other soft parts in a two-stroke carburetor after only a couple of years? How about carburetor float needles that stop sealing after a couple of years?
Larry[/QUOTE]

Never until they started using ethanol .
Old 08-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #19

Tree's

None and I do all my mechanic work and have done for lifetime. Chain saws, wackers, leaf blowers, mowers, snow blower
owers, generators, outboards, and vehicles. I never use additives and since e10 enjoy less problems. Ethanol makes our gas better.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
None and I do all my mechanic work and have done for lifetime. Chain saws, wackers, leaf blowers, mowers, snow blower
owers, generators, outboards, and vehicles. I never use additives and since e10 enjoy less problems. Ethanol makes our gas better.
BS . what you smoking ?
you must be high on something ? ethanol is the a worst polluter then plain gas . the facts are out and your quote is not supported by the facts . you will not get far spreading BS around here and most all know the bad effects of ethanol first hand . we can only hope this administration lifts the ethanol use mandate

Tags
fuel, tank